Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    You're sort of right. But you're also mostly wrong. It was "fan fiction" written by Paula Smith in the early 70s for Menagerie magazine (a Star Trek fanzine, and her own publication). But it was 100% written as parody.

If you want to die on this hill, go ahead. But you're wrong.

EDIT: Aren't you also Anduin Menethil just posting in a new, new account? Didn't you get banned ages ago?
    Who cares if it's parody or not? Sylvanas isn't parody.

Me'dan is a classic example of a Mary Sue character.
    Yeah buddy we don't talk about that around here.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

EDIT: Aren't you also Anduin Menethil just posting in a new, new account? Didn't you get banned ages ago?
    I never die.

By defintion, not really. Mary Sue's are generally "hero characters". Because they are perfect and do no wrong, have all the perfect abilities and skills, and everybody loves and adores them. Me'dan is a classic example of a Mary Sue character.
    Thought so, Sylvanas being all powerful would theoretically make her a good villain.

Of course, I must emphasize theoretically. Sylvanas' arc as a villain has been horribly written. She's powerful just "because", we don't know her true motives, we haven't seen how she acquired this power to smack down previously powerful lore character, and everything she does is off scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I can get behind of this. I'd say they've built her to be the-one-you-love-to-hate. If they've planned it right, like John Wick'ing her, it'll be awesome.
    She's far beyond loving to hate. Bwonsamdi is that. Arthas was that. Gul'dan was that. To some extent Garrosh was that. Sylvanas has nothing left to love anymore as far as I see unless you're one of the people who either 1) like trolling others about how much more powerful their pet character is than theirs or 2) go for the "well at least she's not Anduin/Baine" line of poor argumentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    but that gave more souls to the Jailer, so it a W for her
    She did that in the dumbest way possible. Capture Teldrassil, tell the NE that if they meddle in the war she'll be forced to punish the inhabitants. Make moves while the NE force is paralysed. Invent an assault by the NE so she would be "forced" to kill the inhabitants promised. Make threats to kill the rest of the NE forces meddle. This would make the NE go into the fight full-heartedly because they know that she'll break her word.

The NE attacks, of course, she's now forced to burn Teldrassil. The Horde will have their sick, nationalistic sense of honour satisfied since she did make a threat and the opposing force forced her to execute that threat. It might be tasteless, however, it's no longer unjustified. No rebellion is started due to her taking insane and unjustified actions, and if one is, it'll find little support.

The war now rages on, she manages to defeat SW and the Alliance, raising all the humans as Forsaken. At this point, the Tauren would have had enough and she labels them traitors and points the Horde against them. The Trolls start sweating because they might be next, and look at that, it's Troll traitor o'clock. So she now points the Horde against the Trolls and annihilates them.

At this point, the rest of the Allied Races realises what's up (the HmT has already split out of solidarity with the Tauren). She points the Horde against all of those. The Goblins give no fucks as they're paid handsomely as pr. their contract, so the Allied Races are all wiped out as she can pick them one at a time. She points the rest against the Pandaran. The surprise attack means that many Pandarans die before they can organise a resistance, by the time they can it's too late.

The races left on Azeroth are Orcs, Forsaken, and Goblins (and Naga somewhere in the ocean). The Goblins start getting nervous because while they might get all the money they no longer have any friends. She points the Orcs and the Forsaken against them and kills them. This leaves only the Orcs and the Forsaken, at this point Azsharabreaks the non-aggression treaty that she has with Sylvanas, which she knew as that is a part of her plan. The Forsaken, Orcs, and Naga either wipe each other out or does so tremendous damage to each other that there effectively are no armies left.

The Jailer now has all the souls, breaks free, kills Azshara, and rewards Sylvanas with the one thing she desires above all, all threats to her existence gone.

Of course she would do this if she was actually smart, instead, she went for the approach that did the least damage and maximised hostility against her.
    Last edited by Quaade; 2019-12-31 at 09:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkarra View Post
    Who cares if it's parody or not? Sylvanas isn't parody.
    I'm just pointing it out because you belligerently were going to the wall that it was fan fiction and telling the other poster they were wrong. (The only thing they were wrong about was that it was for a sketch.)

And, no one REALLY cares. But you're being kind of a dick trying to drive your agenda home.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Sylvanas has fought DK Arthas as a living being, and made it so hard for him to get to the Sunwell that he raised the entire city, because of Sylvanas' defense.
    As a Banshee, she beat DK Arthas with a single arrow.
    Was that before or after she powerslided in front of Frostmourne and effectively suicided herself?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Um WTF is a Mary Sue?
    It's a pretty common term in literature and film... how the hell do you not know what it means?
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-12-31 at 09:57 PM.

She is worse than Garrosh in my opinion and deserves the same (or worse) fate. She has no redeeming qualities at all, other than "strong female" I guess. Even that should be completely nullified by the fact that she is a genocidal maniac that only cares about herself. Tired of looking at Queen Emo, who somehow keeps getting more emo (now with black tear makeup) all the time. What's next? razor marks on her wrists? Sorry Sylvanas, Blizzard loves you so much that not even you can kill you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    villians cant be mary sues.
    Just two words: Villain Sue.

Sylvie basically ticks all the boxes there.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Sylvanas is a Mary Sue.....so what's next are you going to tell us that water is wet?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    Blizzard loves you so much that not even you can kill you.
    Unfortunately, this is my take as well. Kerrigan 2.0 inc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    but that gave more souls to the Jailer, so it a W for her
    But it probably was her goal to actually capture it, judging by how she reacted to Saurfang.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    In modern days or on this forum it's basically code for "Female character I don't like and because they were not brutally killed they are totally a Mary Sue."
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarra View Post
    But that only proves that she is a Mary Sue. Mary Sue's always have justifications for their powers.
    By that wonderfully flawed logic, everyone is a Mary Sue. Did you even read what you wrote? Everyone who has justified powers is a Mary Sue?

PS: Please don't be that Anduin Menethil creepy guy. Your avatar is the same, and that dude was CRINGELORD SUPREME.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    It's a pretty common term among misogynistic idiots... how the hell do you not know what it means?
    Fixed that for you.

Let's play spot the "blue-haired feminist narcissist"

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    As little as I like her, she isn't really a Mary Sue...she isn't perfect at everything and she didn't even get her power till after she sold out everyone.

Mary Sue's don't have any justification...that is why they're Mary Sue's...because they just are perfect, everyone loves them, and they exist for the sake of existing.

Like it has been said, Rey is a Mary Sue...because she just suddenly existed and had this immense power and mastery she needed no training or skills for. Sylvanas wasn't born with this power nor did she just get complete mastery over night...she developed and as as more died she was probably given more power.
    "Mary Sue" status doesn't mean her powers are explained or unexplained.

"Mary Sue" status means the character is "perfect", in the sense that she never loses, and even when she does lose, she still wins. That her "mistakes" bring little to no consequence to the Mary Sue. "Accidentally" ousting herself and losing the might of the Horde is such an example, since she is shown to be powerful enough to be able to one-shot the Lich King.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    In modern days or on this forum it's basically code for "Female character I don't like and because they were not brutally killed they are totally a Mary Sue."
    I guess ad hominems are much easier to come with than proper reasoning or counter examples.