Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    Some would argue "this is what killed WoW." The game is basically built to make things annoying so that "catch-up mechanics" fill in the rest of the time alongside "next week something new is available" limitations, and keep you just hooked enough to feel the warm and fuzzies when you finally have your stable of characters.

I've never seen the appeal (old MMO player here) because my philosophy is "I am my character" and other classes past my first choice never really appealed to me all that much. this is more of a role-playing mentality than a video game mentality, which WoW caters to because ad populum fallacies are what capitalism thrives on.

Essentially, any capitalist system thrives on exploiting "needs" and "wants" and you claim to want every alt possible as soon as possible so that's how the game is designed to exploit.

They could create the game so that this alt system is part of the main mechanic of progression: other games have. Your characters could be a part of a personal guild, or family. You could have one character that's "all classes" where levelling takes roughly the same amount of time but is done differently, say via scaling WQs, gathering, PVP, whatever.

They could do a ton of things. But none of them would do anything besides making multiboxers not need to multibox as much, or all of the "hey here's a levelling boost for $" or creating secondary markets / auctionhouse value.

So yes, your concept of alt is to not care about the game and get to the endpoint ASAP. The only WoW expansion where that wasn't 100% the way to go was when they had class legendaries and storylines per spec.

They need to add friction to make it "work" and it's a fine line between making it too easy / not-tedious and making it unplayable, where they're building the game to maximize subscriptions (and expansions).

I personally bowed out of the game when the progression was a cut and paste without any real meaning to the loot or need to rely on social interaction to getting there (past the pseudo eSports of progression which is basically poison to those who want fun and don't need to be about bleeding edge competition to validate the massive time sink).

But I'd still resubscribe and get every expansion at launch. This will be the first expansion in the game where I don't, as I'm just not interested in "just wait until the dungeon unlocks and use this awful dungeon finder system which limits the difficulty for autofinding."

They wouldn't dare use that same system for something like Overwatch competitive, but to slow down progression they have no problem requiring players to use archaic guild tools, archaic dungeon finding and not allow top content to be queued. Snore.
    Doin same thing again with literally no matter just to unlock for example WQ for me is just crap idea. If i unlock on my main pretty much all i can and i want to try some new class i just have to do these same again. Scaling is great idea. I think new leveling style of just to chose ur favourite expansion is great. I just want to feel like that journey to max lvl is smth more just hitting the lvl cap. Now we need to lvl cap and start all that things to do again. Why i cant hit lvl cap with ATL and go throu endgame. Maybe new lvling will be much faster and doin some actual exp story line wouldnt be so painfull. We will see. Now im playin retail with main and some classic as alt. I have one alt on BfA but im pretty much pushed with disgust because i have to do all that things again. And there is a choice to consume some time to do it again or just go on classic and build up toon that got matter :P And classic is pretty much good example for alts. If you hit max level on classic ur toon probably have quite good gear to jump into raiding. I know some questes are required but for some can be done while leveling. If i have to unlock smth on every char that should be class specific not just gate to start WQ or shit iLVL race.
    Last edited by czarek; 2020-03-02 at 06:17 PM.