Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Smoking is a choice. You can discriminate based on choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Smoking is a choice. You can discriminate based on choices.

BS, religion is a choice aswell just try to tell somebody they don’t get a job because of their religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    "Fear" of the stench? The fuck?

It's a disgusting smell that lingers from one cigarette... not just yours but others around you, no two ways about it. I had to deal with a heavy smoker mother and a sister that picked it up off her.
    No one gives a toss about your trailer trash family, Jeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Torodil View Post
    No one gives a toss about your trailer trash family, Jeb.
    Well you cared enough to create an account just to post this. I'm flattered you spent some time just for me!

Well you cared enough to create an account just to post this. I'm flattered you spent some time just for me!
    Which you responded to, within seconds....btw is your mother also your sister?

Quote Originally Posted by Torodil View Post
    Which you responded to, within seconds....btw is your mother also your sister?
    Yes I am currently online (not hard via mobile at work really), shocking stuff!

And why do you ask, seeking common ground?
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-01-20 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I think its for this exact reason that a ton of places have dedicated areas for smokers to stand. I know seeing them outside of a gas station is kind of off putting since its possible they will be annoyed they have to stop smoking to deal with you.
    A gas station is also the last place I would want to see anyone smoke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I worked with smokers when I was in fast food. They constantly would go outside and smoke for 10-15mins almost every other hours.
    I know that feeling. Though my problem got solved when the owners installed cameras in the kitchen.

I hate smokers but if they aren't smoking at work then I don't see why they can't work.

Dont hire Albert Einstein he smokes!, and that is the most important part that you should consider as a company!
    So mutch morons these days, darn time to get a drink....
    Last edited by tromage2; 2020-01-20 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    BS, religion is a choice aswell just try to tell somebody they don’t get a job because of their religion.
    That's the only choice you get to discriminate for. In a perfect world, you would be able to

Dont hire Albert Einstein he smokes!, and that is the most important part that you should consider as a company!
    They have probably decided it will save them money in work hours and health care costs. Smokers take more breaks, and have more health concerns than non-smokers.

Ah smokers. Next to white males the only group this forum is pro discrimination about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Ah smokers. Next to white males the only group this forum is pro discrimination about.
    Do you have any evidence to back up such claims?

We discriminate every time we decide where to eat, whom to date, or what video games to play.

I look forward to your evidence.

Religion is a protected class. Smoking isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't hire Albert Einstein because he died 65 years ago, and that is actually the most important part you should consider as a company. Dead people are generally less productive employees.

Oh...and he died of an Abdominal aortic aneurysm...which is a condition that has been linked to smoking.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-01-20 at 11:36 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    But it's the American thing!

What's funny though is Marlboro was originally the upper class lady's cig before the started retargeting men.

3+ Year Old Account
    Only if they also refuse to hire people that drink alcohol and fat people.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

I'm fine with not hiring smokers, but it is also depending on the job. If you are working with kids or sick people like in a hospital, then I don't want even a bit of that stench around them. If you work outside a lot and only take small breaks than I don't see an issue.

It blows my mind that cigarettes are still legal, and when the law is eventually changed after having left hundreds of millions, if not billions of casualties in its wake, future generations are going to look back in complete befuddlement that so many people were allowed to die.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenswood View Post
    It blows my mind that cigarettes are still legal, and when the law is eventually changed after having left hundreds of millions, if not billions of casualties in its wake, future generations are going to look back in complete befuddlement that so many people were allowed to die.
    Second hand effects are the only viable arguments against smoking and there are laws to prevent that in the public space.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen.
    Why? Smoking isn't a protected class. If a company doesn't want to hire you because of your lifestyle choice, that's on you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Insurance costs are very expensive. I can see why Uhaul may want to do this. They would probably save millions.

But is this a slippery slope? Can companies start discriminating against people with other diseases? I know at my company we had one employee (or spouse) that was using some fancy prescription medication that in the end costed insurance nearly a million per year and therefore increased our insurance costs by a additional 100k. We legally can't just go fire that person but fucking hell. Bernie 2020
    Being a smoker isn't a disease...It's a choice.