Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Weight loss/Diet advice

About 5 weeks ago, I started up at my local gym. I had been a bit of a gym rat through High school but stopped during my first year of college/University because I couldn't really manage my time great to frequently work out. My main goal in going this time around is to lose weight, as I'm currently tipping the scales at about 149-150kgs (which is about 330 pounds). I also have insulin-dependant Type 1/A Diabetes (diagnosed when I was 12, am currently 25) which may or may not complicate things when it comes to a potential diet change, as I can't just straight drop things like Carbs (to my knowledge).

So, I'm looking for any advice or tips on any diets centred around losing weight, keeping in mind the Diabetes.

Deleted
    hey there. this kind of question is really dangerous to ask on a random forum, even on dedicated fitness and bodybuilding forums, there's a shitload of straight up wrong, misleading, hard to understand, undocumented, and baseless claims.
    i literally made a mmochampion account just to warn you about this.

while advanced dieting can certainly have its uses, and some diets actually have a bit of scientific proof behind them, thats absolutely NOT! where you want to start, and once you get there, you should educate yourself on them by reading results from human trials on university websites, and from respected scientific journals, NOT! mmochamp.

there is only one universal truth to weightloss, and no matter which diet you follow, this will be the deciding factor in your weightloss. consume fewer calories than you burn.

once you're used to counting calories, and getting your exercize done, then its time to look for more advanced training and dieting methods.

since you're interested tho, high intensity interval training, and intermittent fasting seems to have some scientific merits. id post some links to studies, but im not allowed. if you want to find them yourself, try googling "intermittent fasting weight loss ncbi" and "high intensity interval training ncbi"

please, please, be careful. while some diets may be extremely effective, none of them lead to permanent weight loss, unless they are a part of a permanent lifestyle change, and some of them are downright unhealthy. they might even be dangerous considering your diabetes, if you have doubts about what to do, ask your doctor. if you find something that looks promising online, show it to your doctor.

stay healthy man, and huge respect for actually being motivated for a change

Deleted
    Since you have type 1 Diabetes that will complicate things you should definitely consult your about this.

I sadly have to agree with the others. I wouldn't want to make any extreme diet advice or offer any

Deleted
    Hey man, great that you're back at it.

My brother also has Diabetes Type 1. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't as dangerous as most people think, sports and diet-wise.
    He does triathlons, and always has been an avid sporter.

May I ask you roughly how many kcals you're eating a day?
    And how are your genetics? Does it run in your family?
    Do you have any other conditions that might impact your weight like a bad working thyroid?

Because a very strict diet isn't really needed to get your weight down.
    But the above questions are somewhat needed in case you want some directions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Download my fitness pal and start with tracking what you are eating. Not making changes, just tracking. Do that for a week and then slowly and gradually lower the amounts of what you are eating. This is usually enough to make people lose weight, if not then you will also have to change WHAT you are eating.

I weighed about 290 and started exercising daily (just walking) and made an effort to eat better. Not eat 100% "clean", but I reduced the size of my portions and made at least 1 meal per day a healthy one (ie. salad). I started seeing results pretty quickly and exercise started to become enjoyable, as well as the healthy meals. I gradually increased the amount of exercise over time to further the results. I think it's important to do it in a way that's enjoyable as it's way easier to make it into a routine. Ended up dropping 90 pounds -- at about 200 right now. Still have a little ways to go to be at my ideal weight but I feel a lot better now than I did.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    As stated by multiple posters, there are a lot of really solid diets, an eating life styles. I myself meal prep each week, have balanced eating, and a stringent workout routine, but Diabetes really complicated this, and talking to your doctor and a nutritionist is highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Download my fitness pal and start with tracking what you are eating. Not making changes, just tracking. Do that for a week and then slowly and gradually lower the amounts of what you are eating. This is usually enough to make people lose weight, if not then you will also have to change WHAT you are eating.
    This is great advice. I use the app and by logging me food it keeps me from overeating. It lists the calories I am allowed, and even breaks it down by how many carbs, fat and protein I can have. I have it set to a 20% deficit and by the end of the day, I am usually close.

Other tips that worked for me:

1. Drop soda, candy, chips and other sugar drinks and beer. If you have to, drink diet soda or 0 calorie flavored waters like Ice or Walmart waters. Have an apple a day, or some blackberries. Instead of chips, try quality beef jerky. Talk to your doctor first, though, since you're diabetic.
    2. When you get that first pang of hunger, take a big swig of water. Sometimes you're just thirsty and don't know it.
    3. Take a walk when possible. You don't need to run at 330 pounds, but if you can find a park, try to go as often as your shins will allow it. Once you're ready, you'll be able to jog for some of it and eventually run!

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sleep 8-10 hours a day
    Start walking daily
    Eliminate sugar, grains, processed food, and liquid calories
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Download the myfitnesspal app and track your food for a couple of weeks. Just slowly start substituting food for something healthier and start trying to to cut your calories to what the app recommends. Tweak it as needed. Don't go crazy and change everything at once.

You should seek professional consultation due to your diabetes and not rely on generic non professional info from a bunch of people on an MMO forum.

Even I know what I'm doing when it comes to fitness and diet but I still wouldn't try to tell you what to do due to your diabetes

What kind of training are you following? How has the results been so far?

Deleted
    I totally agree with Ganko that monitoring of calories per day is the best advice for you. There are a lot of mobile apps try to use it

As stated above this is not the best and most professional place to ask.

btw, by my experience

1) Drop sugar more then u can, its hard but worth for your health

2) Control your calories intake in 24h

3) start as soon as you can training with weights, increasing step by step your muscular strenght.
    this is the best way to increase your metabolism, replacing your body fat with muscle.
    Usually the formula is : more strenght --> more muscles = more metabolically active mass ---> increased overall metabolic active mass .
    this is the key for fat burning in my experience.

Doctor and Personal trainer are in order btw.

GL man.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapefruitsnz View Post
    About 5 weeks ago, I started up at my local gym. I had been a bit of a gym rat through High school but stopped during my first year of college/University because I couldn't really manage my time great to frequently work out. My main goal in going this time around is to lose weight, as I'm currently tipping the scales at about 149-150kgs (which is about 330 pounds). I also have insulin-dependant Type 1/A Diabetes (diagnosed when I was 12, am currently 25) which may or may not complicate things when it comes to a potential diet change, as I can't just straight drop things like Carbs (to my knowledge).

So, I'm looking for any advice or tips on any diets centred around losing weight, keeping in mind the Diabetes.
    I know it's really difficult to go gym for workout even you have a very busy schedule.
    Here is some tips for diet plan by following these tips you will defiantly lose 10 to 20 Wight within one month. If you get result after a month do not give up no matter how much busy you are.
    Diet plan:
    Include eggs in your breakfast
    Stick to Meal Timings
    Eat healthy snacks
    Eat Proteins
    Go for 15 min walk in the every morning and take a fresh oxygen
    *snip*
    Drinks water a lot
    Do not eat when you are watching TV
    Last edited by Crissi; 2019-12-12 at 04:01 PM.

Running is very good for health, and this is its main purpose. Running strengthens the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, which is the prevention of heart and lung diseases

- - - Updated - - -

)))))))) lol

The best advice i can give is to pick a diet you could immagine eating for the rest of your life.

Doing some extreme dieting and then going back to bad habits is pretty useless. Youll just end up getting those kilos back.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a weight problem myself so I know little of diets and such.
    That said I don't believe in fanaticism of any kind but in a balanced diet where healthy stuff outweigh snacks etc.

But the first thing I'd do would be to put myself on a scale once a week, say every Sunday. Write down the very first number and call that "Ground Zero" or something. Then every Sunday I'd compare my weight to that number to check if it was stale or moving up or down. That would give me a good visual if I was moving in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Grapefruitsnz View Post

I'm type 1 diabetic, weight 47 kgs. I'm very thin. You can avoid carbs and modify your insulin intake according to a low carb diet.