Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    snip
    Are you vaccinated? just curious

Covid hospitalization is going up in California. Not as fast as the new cases, but it is going up. Is it bad? No and yes at the same time. No in the sense that most Covid hospitalization are there for issues unrelated to Covid.

Roughly two-thirds of COVID-positive patients at hospitals run by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Services were admitted for something other than the virus.

Marin County hospitals on had a near-record high of 19 COVID patients — but at least 42% were incidental cases.

Berkeley is experiencing a “phenomenal” surge in cases, but only three residents have been hospitalized for COVID-19 in December.

Only 1 in 4 Covid patients in San Francisco and Oakland UCSF hospitals were admitted for Covid.

One in five for SF General Hospital.

Yes, it is bad because Covid positive patients still have to be separated from those uninfected. Especially immune compromised patients.

It is also affecting the workforce. At any given time, between 10 to 20% of health workers in the Bay Area are unavailable due to testing positive for Covid. The same goes for teachers, EMTs, police officers, bus drivers, etc. It is a total nightmare right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So, you're just too lazy to read a short article that would have actually left you informed before you bothered to comment? Cool. I assume this isn't the only time that has been the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this. Sack him.
    Or, or, and hear me out because I realize this is a rather esoteric point to make, I immediately acknowledge in my response the uncertainty on which it is based in order to provide the appropriate context for others to judge for themselves how well grounded it is. I think about the people man, nbd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think responsible doctors would just get the jab and not sew distrust in vaccines…
    I mean I work in healthcare, and I only recently got boosted because I decided that I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of covid infection, the testing, quarantining, etc, not out of some notion of reducing my potential as a transmission vector because it should be very clear to everyone at this point that’s not happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is just straight up misinformation. The covid vaccine was never said to afford 100% protection against covid to start with. Not to mention that being vaccinated appears to make omicron fairly mild compared to folks who aren't vaccinated.

Get this shit outta here.
    Actually their comments are fairly grounded in current science even if a bit vague. Omicron has been shown to be replicating mostly in the upper airways, and FAST. Like orders of magnitude faster than Delta. By remaining there mostly infecting the mucosal lining of the bronchus, it can essentially dodge memory B and T cells and antibodies long enough for that person to spew massive amounts of viral particles out with each breath. There’s basically fuck all we can do at this point from the standpoint of reducing transmission but luckily Omicron is really more like Omi-cold.

That doctor on Sky News is essentially acknowledging this fact and asking exactly what a vaccine mandate for healthcare workers is intended to accomplish. Honestly he’s not wrong.
    Last edited by D3thray; 2022-01-08 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Omicron is really more like Omi-cold.
    Least we forget, Omicron is still deadly for the unvaccinated segment of the population.

California Orange County Deputy DA Who Fought Vaccine Mandate Dies Abruptly After Falling Ill With COVID at Age 46

Ernby’s husband, Mattias Ernby, appeared to confirm his wife had not been vaccinated in response to a Facebook user who claimed she had died of blood clots after getting vaccinated.

“She was NOT vaccinated. That was the problem,” Mattias Ernby wrote.

QAnon influencer who spread conspiracy theories and misinformation about COVID-19 dies after contracting the virus

QAnon influencer Cirsten Weldon used her streaming service and conservative social media platforms to spread misinformation and conspiracy theories about a variety of topics, including the "deep state," chemtrails, and COVID-19, which she ultimately succumbed to on Thursday, the Daily Beast reported.

"Good morning patriots, I didn't think I was going to make it. I'm sorry. I'm exhausted and I have no, I'm very, very weak. I have no strength. I haven't eaten in four days," Weldon said in a Facebook video on December 27.

Following her death, other prominent QAnon influencers said they were too late at staging an intervention to get Weldon out of the hospital and also threatened the lives of the medical professionals who cared for her, according to the Daily Beast.

Adjusting to population size, the unvaccinated in San Francisco is 30 times more likely to die from Omicron.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-01-08 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Omicron has been shown to be replicating mostly in the upper airways, and FAST. Like orders of magnitude faster than Delta. By remaining there mostly infecting the mucosal lining of the bronchus, it can essentially dodge memory B and T cells and antibodies long enough for that person to spew massive amounts of viral particles out with each breath. There’s basically fuck all we can do at this point from the standpoint of reducing transmission but luckily Omicron is really more like Omi-cold.
    https://abc13.com/omicron-variant-ho...ated/11438514/

Considering the overwhelming number of folks who are in the hospital for covid (i.e. not for other medical issues and they just happen to test positive as Rasulis was posting) are unvaccinated, and we're seeing cases skyrocket, I'm not exactly buying this.

I saw a mention of a Sky News doctor, who is apparently an anesthesiologist and doesn't have any training in infectious disease, earlier but didn't see a link when I double checked. If anyone wants to post that, go for it.

Why are y'all so determined to post misinformation? Like, what do you even get outta it?

https://abc13.com/omicron-variant-ho...ated/11438514/

Considering the overwhelming number of folks who are in the hospital for covid (i.e. not for other medical issues and they just happen to test positive as Rasulis was posting) are unvaccinated, and we're seeing cases skyrocket, I'm not exactly buying this.

I saw a mention of a Sky News doctor, who is apparently an anesthesiologist and doesn't have any training in infectious disease, earlier but didn't see a link when I double checked. If anyone wants to post that, go for it.

Why are y'all so determined to post misinformation? Like, what do you even get outta it?
    The numbers become even more skewed when we look at ICU occupancy.

Omicron vs. the Unvaccinated and the Vaccinated

Ontario public health authorities report that as of yesterday, 2,093 and 288 people are being treated for omicron variant infections in hospitals and intensive care units (ICUs), respectively. The hospitalization rate per million among unvaccinated people stands at 532.7; it's 105.9 for folks vaccinated with at least two doses. This means that the reduction of hospitalization risk for those inoculated with at least two doses is 80.1 percent.

The ICU occupancy rate per million is 135.6 for unvaccinated people and just 9.2 for those who have gotten two doses of COVID-19 vaccines. So vaccination reduces the ICU risk by 93.2 percent.

Unvaxxed 30X More Likely To Die: Marin Health Officer
    The unvaccinated are 15 times more likely to be infected and 49 times more likely to be hospitalized, Health Officer Dr. Matt Willis said.

Note: The numbers for Marin and San Francisco may be skewed due to high percentage of booster recipients.

Marin County Covid Dashboard
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-01-08 at 11:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are we sure that omicron actually replaces delta? I mean, I've seen variant proportion graphs that indicate that omicron and delta are ravaging the population side by side.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Are we sure that omicron actually replaces delta? I mean, I've seen variant proportion graphs that indicate that omicron and delta are ravaging the population side by side.
    That can't really happen, though. Not in a pandemic. Not unless the two variants had different targets. I'm pretty sure every proportion graph shows omicron continuing to overtake delta at a fast rate.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That can't really happen, though. Not in a pandemic. Not unless the two variants had different targets. I'm pretty sure every proportion graph shows omicron continuing to overtake delta at a fast rate.
    I just can't find it, I think it was from France, it showed omicron infecting more and faster but delta stayed steady at a certain number of infected even slightly increasing.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just can't find it, I think it was from France, it showed omicron infecting more and faster but delta stayed steady at a certain number of infected even slightly increasing.
    It's winter in the northern hemisphere. You'd expect cases to be increasing in France, even if it were just delta and not omicron. If cases of delta are staying steady rather than increasing, that actually represents a decrease in what you'd otherwise expect. And given that cases of omicron are skyrocketing, that very much indicates that omicron is beating out delta for most of those new infections.

Basically, right now conditions are such that both variants are having a relatively easy time finding new targets. Once things slow down, which they should over the next month, the two will come into more direct competition for new targets and we'll almost certainly see numbers of delta transmissions plunge even faster.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    It's winter in the northern hemisphere. You'd expect cases to be increasing in France, even if it were just delta and not omicron. If cases of delta are staying steady rather than increasing, that actually represents a decrease in what you'd otherwise expect. And given that cases of omicron are skyrocketing, that very much indicates that omicron is beating out delta for most of those new infections.

Basically, right now conditions are such that both variants are having a relatively easy time finding new targets. Once things slow down, which they should over the next month, the two will come into more direct competition for new targets and we'll almost certainly see numbers of delta transmissions plunge even faster.
    But if quarantine is reduced based on omicron transmissibility wouldn't that help delta spread?

Well, the newest CDC numbers should be out in the coming days then we'll have another snapshot at delta infections.

15+ Year Old Account
    I heard somewhere most people on gen-ot forum are not subscribed to WoW. Seems they subscribed to covid vaccine instead.

Plenty of side effects listed here:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-vaccines.html

And at the end:

"Benefits of Vaccination Outweigh the Risks"
    There's literally no one who can claim this in my case. If you disagree you need a reality check. You don't know me or my immunity system. I could die from covid, and I could die from the vaccine. There's no higher/lower chance either way.
    This is population generalization and congratulations, you're just a statistic now. This is the biggest scam of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I heard somewhere most people on gen-ot forum are not subscribed to WoW. Seems they subscribed to covid vaccine instead.

And at the end:

There's literally no one who can claim this in my case. If you disagree you need a reality check. You don't know me or my immunity system. I could die from covid, and I could die from the vaccine. There's no higher/lower chance either way.
    This is population generalization and congratulations, you're just a statistic now. This is the biggest scam of the century.
    It's simply a matter of statistics.

This would be no different than if you were arguing against airbags or seat belts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could die from covid, and I could die from the vaccine. There's no higher/lower chance either way.
    This is a big, fat, stinking turd of a lie. Your chances of dying from covid are many orders of magnitude higher than your chances of dying from the vaccine itself.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

And at the end:

There are side effects from every medication/vaccine, What there isn't, is death.

- - - Updated - - -

And at the end:

There is literally ONLY 9 TOTAL DEATHS from the vaccine. Out of literally BILLIONS of shots. Meanwhile, 2% of the people infected with Covid, die. Over 5 million people dead worldwide, 830k in US alone.

And at the end:

There are side effects to literally every medication. Anti-vaxx idiots only seem to care when they can spin it to fit their dumbass conspiracies. You're not special. The only person who should be telling you not to get a vaccine is your doctor, who can know if you have some underlying conditions that will actually make it dangerous for you.

You don't know me or my immunity system. I could die from covid, and I could die from the vaccine.
    Covid doesn't give a shit about your immune system. Just like polio didn't give a shit. And smallpox. And malaria. shall I continue?

Also, stop it. Your chances of death due to vaccine side effects are infinitesimally small compared to your chance of death getting covid without a vaccine. This is straight up empty headed disinformation. Knock this shit off.

15+ Year Old Account
    Covid doesn't give a shit about your immune system. Just like polio didn't give a shit. And smallpox. And malaria. shall I continue?

Also, stop it. Your chances of death due to vaccine side effects are infinitesimally small compared to your chance of death getting covid without a vaccine. This is straight up empty headed disinformation. Knock this shit off.
    You're extremely aggressive in this thread for a moderator.
    Its not your place to behave this way towards people.

I'm entitled to my opinion regardless of how aggressive you behave towards me.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a big, fat, stinking turd of a lie. Your chances of dying from covid are many orders of magnitude higher than your chances of dying from the vaccine itself.
    How the fuck do you know that?
    Some people have mild effects from covid, others die from it.
    You can't claim anyone will die from it unless you know their genetic code, you moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if quarantine is reduced based on omicron transmissibility wouldn't that help delta spread?
    It wasn't necessarily based just on omicron transmissibility, though.

Well, the newest CDC numbers should be out in the coming days then we'll have another snapshot at delta infections.
    The numbers from last Monday are already pretty telling.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

You're extremely aggressive in this thread for a moderator.
    Its not your place to behave this way towards people.

I'm entitled to my opinion regardless of how aggressive you behave towards me.

- - - Updated - - -

How the fuck do you know that?
    Some people have mild effects from covid, others die from it.
    You can't claim anyone will die from it unless you know their genetic code, you moron.
    Ramblings of a faux alpha.

You aren't special.