Wife and I thought, "we never get a chance to walk the dogs, why don't we take advantage of this work-from-home thing to do that?" and strolled on down to our local park.

Turns out literally everyone in the Atlanta metro had the same idea.

I think we would've had less exposure at a buffet in downtown Atlanta than at that park. Of course, the dogs were already SUPER EXCITED to be out of the house, so at that point we had to suck it up and shove our way through the crowds of dog-walkers. Hopefully we only got a few coronaviruses. We'll probably stay at home now.

Its the Trump virus, because it appeared under his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    That is, indeed, one theory. Another is: https://history.howstuffworks.com/hi...t-in-spain.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I believe the first case was in Kansas so who knows but saying it is China for sure isn't accurate.
    Yeah true i doubt they will ever know for sure it's mostly a guessing game.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Tbh, I don't think it is just a Chinese exemption here. We just kind of used geographic designations since the 80s in general. HIV, Swine Flu, SARS, Ebola, MERS, all recent pandemics that weren't given geographic designations.
    Interesting note, Ebola actually is a geographic designation. Named after the Ebola River in Africa, the disease was first identified in a town seventy miles away from the river. This was done to keep the town from being associated with the virus.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Good luck for the US with the choloroquine, it seem to have nasty side effects...

Quote Originally Posted by The Scourge of Azuremyst View Post
    Its the Trump virus, because it appeared under his watch.
    Oh he is to blame for President Xi "Winnie the Pooh" Jinping throwing people who tried to report about the virus early on in jail and trying to cover it up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post

No one knows yet whether this new virus is seasonal.
    It's still early to take conclusions, but look at Brazil's numbers https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    In southern Brazil its summer at this time, they have temperatures over 30ºC, in the rest of Brazil they have tropical weather with temperatures betwin 28-30ºC. Brazil currently is over 500 reported cases, if the coronovirus is weather sensitive, then there has to be a lot of assithomatic cases in Brazil, if the virus is is not asinthomatic then we really in huge problems. As the spring comes, and later summer, we will be able to take conclusions. But as it seems, this virus can attack at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    The US is going to get the Italy shutdown treatment soon. (like within 7 days)
    No.
    A Coronavirus Explosion Was Expected in Japan. Where Is It?

Unlike China’s draconian isolation measures, the mass quarantine in much of Europe and big U.S. cities ordering people to shelter in place, Japan has imposed no lockdown. While there have been disruptions caused by school closures, life continues as normal for much of the population. Tokyo rush hour trains are still packed and restaurants remain open.

The looming question is whether Japan has dodged a bullet or is about to be hit. The government contends it has been aggressive in identifying clusters and containing the spread, which makes its overall and per capita number for infections among the lowest among developed economies. Critics argue Japan has been lax in testing, perhaps looking to keep the infection numbers low as it’s set to host the Olympics in Tokyo in July.

GOP senator says only small percentage of population might die of coronavirus

Asked about the comment, Johnson’s office pointed to another quote from the same story where the senator says: “I’m hoping when all is said and done, maybe we have overreacted. But the fact that we’re acting the way we are, I think, will really increase our chances of dropping that growth curve of this [virus].”

Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) dismissed the dangers of the coronavirus outbreak while speaking in his home state last week, claiming that the U.S. was at war "mostly because of the presentations by the mass media."

"They call it the coronavirus. I call it the beer virus. How do you like that?" Young said, in an apparent reference to Corona beer. "It attacks us senior citizens. I'm one of you. I still say we have to as a nation and state go forth with everyday activities."

The 86-year-old congressman said the deadliness of the virus was "blown out of proportion," claiming "it's not nearly as deadly as the other viruses we have."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    It's still early to take conclusions, but look at Brazil's numbers https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ In southern Brazil its summer at this time, they have temperatures over 30ºC, in the rest of Brazil they have tropical weather with temperatures betwin 28-30ºC. Brazil currently is over 500 reported cases, if the coronovirus is weather sensitive, then there has to be a lot of assithomatic cases in Brazil, if the virus is is not asinthomatic then we really in huge problems. As the spring comes, and later summer, we will be able to take conclusions. But as it seems, this virus can attack at any time.
    Study: Coronavirus death rate lower than initially thought

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how countries will deal with the anti-vaxxers given the severity of the crisis.

Because they'll be a serious hurdle.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the math no one has been able to do, we still don't know how many asinthomatic cases we have, judging by Italy, it has to be over 20% of cases, thx for the link, i might post it elsewere.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I wonder how countries will deal with the anti-vaxxers given the severity of the crisis.

if there is a vaccine then it should be mandatory for everyone who can get it to get it and anti-vaxxers should be tied down and given it if that is what it takes, other peoples lives are more important than their personal freedom in this matter

all our efforts will be for naught if we allow these idiots to roam around freely to infect people after the worst of this passes
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

There is no 100% bulletproof vaccine for flu. Getting vaccine doesn't mean you can't get flu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    By getting their social security number and denying them hospital beds if they get sick.
    Like, forever, not just this issue.
    Do you really think that they'd go to a hospital?

10+ Year Old Account

Here in Portugal that doesn't seem a problem, you can't even sent chieldren to school without them having the required vaccines.

A couple of years ago we had the case of a teen that died with measles, i still can't understand how that happen, when i was at school i had to show my vaccination buletin every single year to be able to conclude the year school matriculation.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    There is no 100% bulletproof vaccine for flu. Getting vaccine doesn't mean you can't get flu
    but it can significantly reduce your chances of dying from it so even if we continue to get clusters of covid but people have the vaccine it will still (hopefully) prove less fatal than right now i would think
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

And you know that from fact? So far about 10,000 people died from Corona virus, will that is a lot its not close to how much people died from seasonal flu which is about 600,000 each year.
    If it's like Spanish flu then yeah we are fucked up because is next two years something like 400-500m could die.
    I mean do you not trust the numbers and projections from three different health agencies including our own?

- - - Updated - - -

However it can provide protection for future flus. For instance swine flu. Older people had lower rates of death due to a vaccine that was similar given decades earlier.

They can also make your flu milder.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    but it can significantly reduce your chances of dying from it so even if we continue to get clusters of covid but people have the vaccine it will still (hopefully) prove less fatal than right now i would think
    So can using a condom and have safe sex but people don't do it...

So can using a condom and have safe sex but people don't do it...
    yeah but you don't usually die from stds, even aids isn't a death sentence anymore.

but yes, people are fucking dumb and sometimes things needs to be forced for the greater good

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I mean do you not trust the numbers and projections from three different health agencies including our own?

- - - Updated - - -

However it can provide protection for future flus. For instance swine flu. Older people had lower rates of death due to a vaccine that was similar given decades earlier.

They can also make your flu milder.
    It's not that I don't believe it's just a speculation based on current thing. Flu can mutate fast and become less potent and virulent than seasonal flu

Yes but in this case it's useless because it's a new strain...

10+ Year Old Account
    So we are getting following orders now. This is no longer a recommendation, breaking this leads to heavy fine.

You can only go out of your home for the following reasons:

1. Work-related travel (only for allowed to operate businesses).
    2. Resupplying food and medicine.
    3. Receiving medical services.
    4. Blood donation.
    5. Protests.
    6. Sports (unorganized, up to 5 people).
    7. Assistance to disabled, indisposed or old person.
    8. Weddings/Funerals/Religious crap up to limit of 10.
    9. Short walks in close vicinity to your home.

These orders are in effect for 7 days for now.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-19 at 07:09 PM.