10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorze View Post
    Honest question, since you are a proponent of a lockdown. Do you think this is enough or do you still want to see a lockdown? I think this is the right aproach, punish those who dont give a shit, while at the same time let those who are responsible still do their things.
    By a sheer coincidence there is an answer from IL Ministry of Health CEO (yes there is such a thing) who just today claimed that the existing measures, which are quite similar if not stricter than those quoted are not enough and did not give satisfying effect.

As such government intends to put forward a 7 day lockdown on almost everything, where people can only get out of homes with ID to resupply, walk their pets or go to work (if it's still allowed to be open). On top of it - almost all public transportation will be cancelled and police will be able to check ID of the passersby and fine them if they are not in the general vicinity of their homes.

Official briefing will be followed tomorrow, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    25k per individual is possible in germany, but AFAIK nobdy was fined so far
    Yeah i heard, eastern european nations also have higher figures, i believe this is all in line with existing fines probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    They have been caught and will be fined, my point was the fines could be up to 4K for individuals, what is the big difference between the netherlands where that amount is lower, wondering if any amount can be a deterrent enough to stop people.
    Yes.

I mean, if I'd get fined 100 bucks, I'd just laugh in policeman's face. Raise it up to 1500 USD and that starts to be more reasonable.

I don't think it needs to go cray cray 25k or such, 1500 is already plenty enough for many people to make them think twice.

There is some new alternative I keep hearing about, where judge can put a tentative fine of 7k USD or so that will be posted if the defendant repeats offense. So offenders sort of go free and won't be fined if they remain good boys, but get walloped if they break quarantine again.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-23 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yes.

I mean, if I'd get fined 100 bucks, I'd just laugh in policeman's face. Raise it up to 1500 USD and that starts to be more reasonable.
    Fines have to mean something to the person fined. % of their income, gross, let's say. That's how you get their attention.

In the US though, like they'd trust the police to hand out fines in equal measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

My county has a shelter in place now, but the governor still refuses to do statewide because "not every county is affected" and "locals should decide their own needs". Fucks sake. Half the counties in Texas are run by back country idiots that believe in conspiracy theories.

Think of every negative stereotype you can of rural republicans, and you'd be correct on the kinds of guys running these counties.
    This highlights the problem that we as a nation are having right now. We need this to be directed on a national level. It cant be left to the individual states and counties. This is why its doing nothing but getting worse and why we may soon be the nation with the most cases in the world. Letting it come down to individual county levels to make these decisions is not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

By a sheer coincidence there is an answer from IL Ministry of Health CEO (yes there is such a thing) who just today claimed that the existing measures, which are quite similar if not stricter than those quoted are not enough and did not give satisfying effect.

As such government intends to put forward a 7 day lockdown on almost everything, where people can only get out of homes with ID to resupply, walk their pets or go to work (if it's still allowed to be open). On top of it - almost all public transportation will be cancelled and police will be able to check ID of the passersby and fine them if they are not in the general vicinity of their homes.

Official briefing will be followed tomorrow, I think.
    what happens if we are all wrong and we have to let it go on its merry way? *is way too scared to think about it*

Yes.

I don't think it needs to go cray cray 25k or such, 1500 is already plenty enough for many people to make them think twice.

There is some new alternative I keep hearing about, where judge can put a tentative fine of 7k USD or so that will be posted if the defendant repeats offense. So offenders sort of go free and won't be fined if they remain good boys, but get walloped if they break quarantine again.
    Problem is, getting fined $100 while unemployed is far different to being fined $100 while working
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Expept we speaking of med's that already had some prior testing, the Malaria one has already been exaustly tested.

What we really need at the moment, is pick these already tested med's and get a group of people infected with sars-cov2 that we could use as a control group. Some patients on ICU don't have choice, its that or death. Anyway, med's like Remdisivir have already been tested on at least one patient with great results, why the hell haven't they tested it even more?
    It's been exhaustively tested on Malaria patients, the only test on it for COVID-19 are small samples of 6-9 people in China. It will take months to figure out the right dosages, the people in ICUs have underlying conditions the drug in the wrong dosage can kill them and no one knows the right dosages for COVID-19.

I mean we are basically entering class action lawsuit zone here if doctors start using it by guessing and people die anyways since we don't know how effective it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This highlights the problem that we as a nation are having right now. We need this to be directed on a national level. It cant be left to the individual states and counties. This is why its doing nothing but getting worse and why we may soon be the nation with the most cases in the world. Letting it come down to individual county levels to make these decisions is not working.
    That's not a bug, it's a feature. Working as intended. Example: Firearms.
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

New Zealand finally going into lock down after 100 cases. First case was in late Feb so needed to be shut down then. A dude on a flight from Iran.

All non essential businesses shut for the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Thanks china

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    That's not a bug, it's a feature. Working as intended. Example: Firearms.
    Lets not get into a debate about firearms. This is just showing the flaws in the system now more then ever since peoples lives are on the line.

5 spring breakers have tested positive now. They were traveling in a large group to the beach. I suspect we will see most of those students getting sick now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oboy, we're gonna fly in 250 citizens from Italy back home.

We already got 60 cases imported in one plane from New York, guess a bunch more on the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Non essential businesses are now closed in Québec until April 13. Happy Easter.
    It's so cute seeing governments trying to pretend this will end in a couple of weeks.

My county has a shelter in place now, but the governor still refuses to do statewide because "not every county is affected" and "locals should decide their own needs". Fucks sake. Half the counties in Texas are run by back country idiots that believe in conspiracy theories.

Think of every negative stereotype you can of rural republicans, and you'd be correct on the kinds of guys running these counties.
    It should be a nation wide shut down. But we have republicans at all levels up to the president who aren't taking this seriously enough or taking any responsibility for anything, and even non officials who just don't even give a fuck about any of this, crowding beaches in Florida and California. We are just so fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    It's so cute seeing governments trying to pretend this will end in a couple of weeks.
    The time frame they are shutting things down for is growing. First was until the end of March. Then 2 weeks. Now a month. Its like no one payed attention and now they are freaking out because they realize they cannot trust the general public to control this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It should be a nation wide shut down. But we have republicans at all levels up to the president who aren't taking this seriously enough or taking any responsibility for anything, and even non officials who just don't even give a fuck about any of this, crowding beaches in Florida and California. We are just so fucked.
    starting to see the virus spread among those crowded beaches now though so, karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    I think you meant billions and trillions.

Also I disagree.

The proposals in the senate and being worked on in the house has trillion dollar proposals of direct payments to the people. These are direct payments of the "non repayment" type.

The offers to corporations and the proposals are for payments of the "repayment" kind. Loans, Grants, Bailouts just like in 2008-2009 where a profit was turned and even if you take out the two bailed out mortgage giants only lost 50-100 billion because we sold stock grants way too soon under pressure from republicans.

On top of that, a significant portion of the money corporations will receive will keep them in business. Keep "people" employed. Keep people getting health insurance. Keep a lot of people receiving paychecks even though they are not working.

So indirect payments are in theory going to directly "people's" pockets.

Not saying the rich/corporations won't benefit, but its not a windfall or anywhere near it. I would gander the vast majority of the benefit of these trillions will be on the bottom 90%.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the problem.

When things get better in a few weeks in those states that shut down, they will have to deal with the population of those states next door whom did not.
    rolling this fucking thing back and forth across the country for months and months.

Just like WV who bragged about having no cases, then we find out it was because they did less than a fucking handful of actual testing..../sigh
    Those states will simply need to close their borders to other states. Its the only real way to deal with a scattered response because as you said, if you don't you just import a ton of new cases constantly.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Would you rather be dead or broke?
    I'd rather billionaires to hold on buying a new yacht this year and bail out humanity instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Would you rather be dead or broke?
    For eepteenth time - it's not white and black.

I understand, it's hard to swallow, after all these years of shitty animes and superhero movies, but one life is not worth putting 10k families on the street.

In-between having some old guy kick the bucket and fucking over futures of dozens of dozens of children, yeah - I'll be a bad guy and will let that person die.

If we will end up with 100 dead instead of 50, but unemployment 15% instead of 25% - I'll take it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather billionaires to hold on buying a new yacht this year and bail out humanity instead.
    You forgot to add "4head" there.

I prefer operating based on existing and realistic parameters.

- - - Updated - - -

---

As a daily update, currently we have 1442 confirmed cases, 29 ventilated, 1 dead. It might be 2 dead - some guy that was not tested was rushed to emergency and died 2 hours later, they suspect it might be Coronavirus, but wait for test results.

10+ Year Old Account
    \

I prefer operating based on existing and realistic parameters.
    Realistic and existing parameter sure, here you go.

1% the population will be totally unaffected by this because money.
    Too-big-to-fail companies will be once more bailed out by others people money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Realistic and existing parameter sure, here you go.

1% the population will be totally unaffected by this because money.
    Too-big-to-fail companies will be once more bailed out by others people money.
    And that's life. Sucks to be you and me.