Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    http://www.thl.fi/koronakartta

That's from the official health agency in Finland.
    The data for the last days are likely not up-to-date then.

The heading says "Päiväkohtaiset tautitapaukset (näytteenottopäivän mukaan)" - which means
    "Daily incidence (according to sampling date)", and since it takes a bit of time between the sample is taken and it is analyzed that likely means that all samples from yesterday and the days before are not yet analyzed, and those numbers will increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    What I am curious about is whether re-infection is possible and whether the virus mutates fast enough to stick around like Influenza.
    There are already over 2400 recorded mutations of COVID-19. It's an RNA type virus that doesn't care about changing its expressed genes after each generation, it can also happen mid-generation. Re-infection is not only likely, but probable. This is why Johnson and his herd immunity shitmeme ended up so high up in my bad guy list.

You guys have no goddamn idea how fucked up this shit might get. All we can do is pray the strain with antibody dependent enhancement gene is not prevalent in future generations of the virus and never becomes a reality, because I stress again, it's really fucking ugly.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-04-01 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting read for Americans who believe they might be in the clear because they are living in more rural areas.

A few snippets and to highlight why a federal government slow, unwilling or incapable of acting is going to cause everywhere. What i believe is even more fatal for rural communities who generally struggle with simply a basic flue outbreak. It also is important to know why a divided message in the US is dangerous, what again is something the white house has done and right to far right wing influencers have continued to keep alive.

Wealth is not the cause of every concentrated outbreak dotting the United States. But it’s the common denominator of so much of its spread outside of major urban areas. It’s the reason why so many of the coronavirus hot spots in the Mountain West — Sun Valley, Idaho; Gunnison County, Colorado; Summit County, Utah; Gallatin County, Montana — overlap with winter playgrounds for the wealthy. The virus travels via people, and the people who travel the most, both domestically and internationally, are rich people.

All over the United States, people are fleeing urban areas with high infection rates for the perceived safety and natural beauty of rural areas. Some of them own second homes in those areas; others are paying upwards of $10,000 a month, depending on the area, for temporary housing. The common denominator among those populations is, again, wealth — either their own or their families’.

For now, in the absence of any clear federal guidelines restricting domestic travel, residents in many small towns across the US are drafting their own ad hoc policies for outside visitors.

This Pandemic Is Not Your Vacation

Popped up on my pocket app.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The media is done playing nice. Stay the Fuck at Home.

As Asians looked at Spain and Italy with disbelieve, why they did not act sooner. As Spain and Italy looked to The Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and so forth with disbelieve and how we are as Europeans now looking at the US with disbelieve...

I am not sure how this phenomenon is described yet, but it seems almost every country in the chain of this global spread made very similar mistakes in underestimating the virus and overestimating their capacity of handling it. This kind of language is completely warranted because people still don't get it and that's not just an American thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This kind of language is completely warranted because people still don't get it and that's not just an American thing.
    Definitely not American only.

My parents just went shopping (they shop for me too, so I can stay at home, b/c I am in multiple risk groups) and they say, business as usual. No limited entrance, people snuggling at the register etc etc.

I think most peeps will only grasp the situation if it hits s/o they care about or themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The data for the last days are likely not up-to-date then.

The heading says "Päiväkohtaiset tautitapaukset (näytteenottopäivän mukaan)" - which means
    "Daily incidence (according to sampling date)", and since it takes a bit of time between the sample is taken and it is analyzed that likely means that all samples from yesterday and the days before are not yet analyzed, and those numbers will increase.
    You are right, the most recent days are not fully counted yet, but the part that is fully counted shows that infection rate has gone down.

This does not show on the graph, tho. They should mark the parts that arent fully counted. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweden, having about 20% more population than Israel reported last day twice the number of deaths from Coronavirus than Israel had total so far.

Sweden so good.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the guys who failed biology, some small info on RNA viruses, aka what we fight against. I'll try to keep it short, but the reality is that it's one of the most complex things there is.

RNA is short for ribonucleic acid, a polymer (complex organic molecule) that is prevalent in cellular life of all organisms. It's evolved from an amalgamation of aminoacids during the first stages of formation of single-cell life, in the first oceans billions of years ago. Some RNA strands eventually escaped from the safety of the cell and formed walls of membrane, in which they lie in wait as virions, to eventually become viruses. But more on that later.

RNA looks basically like the dumb brother of DNA on paper because it looks less complex and is less prevalent in popular media, but in reality it's the equivalent of a ruthless grand general who can adapt to any situation and can never lose, except on the condition of a vaccine, a drug that stops one of its four very important genetic functions. But we will get more on that later.

What does it do? It basically barks orders within the cell about what kinds of proteins should the ribosomes (the cell's factory units) create. It serves as the frontline of the immune system's defences. And, here comes the important part, it codes, decodes, regulates and expresses genes. To make a long story short, it basically takes info from the cell, like vital functions, and chooses which gene to express to fit any circumstance and to order ribosomes to create a specific protein for that specific circumstance, assuming there is enough energy and knowledge to make them.

Now, viruses, or virions as they are called before entering a host cell, are basically either RNA or DNA enveloped within a membrane with some lipids and liquified protein. They don't have ribosomes, so they can't be classified as living organisms according to biology. The only way they can survive is to enter something that has ribosomes, kill everything there by blasting though its defences of the opposite RNA (antibodies), and take over the means of production. Then, the ribosomes can cause the cell that got taken over by the foreign RNA to copy itself, and to attack further cells down the road, essentially taking over entire organs.

A very special case is the HIV virus. It's a also an RNA virus initially that uses a special protein to form DNA and attach itself into the genetic material of the host organism. Nature can normally form RNA from DNA but never DNA from RNA, so this is a super fucking cool tidbit.

We know what we know about genetics all because of viruses. The only way to completely eradicate them is to find out about how the virus RNA expresses genes, to stop it from expressing some key genes, to stop our body from producing enzymes that can be taken over and used by the virus for its schemes, and to guard our body with antibodies that know how to fight the means of invasion.

We humans think that we are nature's apex predator, but, in our utter delusions of grandeur, we are so completely wrong. The world belongs to something that isn't even technically alive, the virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    We literally had Jehova's Witnesses knock on our door the other night (during raid). I spoke to them via a window by the side of the door, and they told me straight up that Corona is God's punishment and those embracing him would go unscathed.

Then I also happen to know from my Jehova's uncle that they 100% hope for the rapture, so... Unscathed my ass.

I'll stick to quarantine, tyvm.
    Haven't seen any of those guys in a long time, last time they knocked at my door the first thing they asked me was what would happen to people at the moment of death, obviously i just closed my door on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Trump just created a new law.
    Whoever has the virus, go to jail, not hospital.

This helped a lot.
    don't you mean trumpification camps?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    don't you mean trumpification camps?
    OBAMA FEMA CAMPS!!! oh wait....those never happened.....with the hundred other conspiracies that are now just about fact under Trump but you never hear peep about them anymore on fox, drudge, infowars, etc.....

I guess if you throw the "right" people into them, they don't care....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    UK numbers are unreliable and don't add up.

- - - Updated - - -

Except not. I doubt many Swedes move through the north into Finland because there is almost no one living up there.
    Kudos on completely failing to explain why you think Sweden are handling it well.

Pesky thing called "facts" says otherwise.

Please don't bother with a handwaving non reply. ty in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    we passed 200k cases boys! we did it!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    You are right, the most recent days are not fully counted yet, but the part that is fully counted shows that infection rate has gone down.

This does not show on the graph, tho. They should mark the parts that arent fully counted. :/
    Note that it's likely not that simple.

There are as far as I know multiple labs - and the testing is likely done at different locations, meaning that even if all labs do tests in the order that they arrive the results will still not first be for one day and then for the next.

10+ Year Old Account
    we passed 200k cases boys! we did it!
    USA #1 as usual. It's like other countries aren't even trying.

5+ Year Old Account
    https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

There is also estimates that 25%-50% of COVID cases don’t show symptoms.

Meaning this shit is spreading and cases are likely far higher than what is recorded or estimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Note that it's likely not that simple.

There are as far as I know multiple labs - and the testing is likely done at different locations, meaning that even if all labs do tests in the order that they arrive the results will still not first be for one day and then for the next.
    Its not about whether they are done or not. It has been announced already in finnish media. Due to this they are saying that lockdowns, ect. are clearly working and so on.

That stuff should be based on confirmed stuff that are fully counted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

There is also estimates that 25%-50% of COVID cases don’t show symptoms.

Meaning this shit is spreading and cases are likely far higher than what is recorded or estimated.
    wouldn't be surprised if worldwide it's closer to 3 million cases.

15+ Year Old Account
    wouldn't be surprised if worldwide it's closer to 3 million cases.
    It's far more. The current estimation still is that only one in thirty of the infected has been verified via testing. 1 million verified cases now so around 30 million infected.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    There are already over 2400 recorded mutations of COVID-19. It's an RNA type virus that doesn't care about changing its expressed genes after each generation, it can also happen mid-generation. Re-infection is not only likely, but probable.
    Perfectly normal as it is an RNA viruses and RNA is less stable, especially when single stranded.

However, animals have evolved to deal with that and the immune systems of animals are designed to cope with slightly varying viruses.
    That's why vaccines work and here's a partial list of RNA-viruses where we have vaccines: influenza (for the different variants - that's why you need a new one every year), measles, rabies.

You are basically giving bad medical advice, and telling everyone to stop working on vaccines as it mutates too fast for it to be effective.