Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Exactly, entertainment is actually important in a time like this. Outside activities, no. But keeping people sane while being instead and endless reports of sickness, death, poverty is important. The mental state of a lot of people isn't too well right now, all they have is the stuff that allows them to escape.

Hell I'm an introvert and I miss going outside.

The average American is obese on some form of pain killer with mental health issues and pretty miserable, we are not a happy or healthy country. Our mental health system is basically non existent as well, the virus isn't doing anything but making people face their own demons. That's why they are predicting record divorce rates and baby births at the same time for example a friend of mine who was getting married in a few months just figured out that he has nothing in common with his future wife.

It's going to be one heck of a mess once this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    A lot of falsehoods spread here over mortality rate vs the whole population. Take perhaps the worst hit Italy and the best case scenario. Numerator (Number of deaths = 15000) / Denominator (Population = 60,000,000) x100 = Mortality rate of 0.025%

Whilst that calculation might be a little bit out, it is no more inaccurate than scaremongering pessimists quoting unsubstantiated silly figures like 5% by purely using the denominator as from hospital admissions and then using that as though it applies to the whole population.
    I hate to inject reality into your bullshit but your idiotic sum infers that all of the population had the disease.

The correct maths would be number of deaths / people confirmed with the virus. Which currently makes it 15362/124632*100 = 12.35%

Now we know this is high because theres people that haven't been tested, its skewed towards older people getting it / whatever.

But the 0,025% mortality rate you quoted it dishonest and farcical. Par for the course with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of falsehoods spread here over mortality rate vs the whole population. Take perhaps the worst hit Italy and the best case scenario. Numerator (Number of deaths = 15000) / Denominator (Population = 60,000,000) x100 = Mortality rate of 0.025%
    Nonsensical data, since the whole population hasn't been infected yet.

IIRC, scientists currently assume a ~1% death rate if medical treatment is effective. If not, that number WILL be higher and we can rest assured that most developing countries will not have effective medical treatment at their disposal. Even our facilities get overwhelmed. (hence the isolation measures).

Now obviously 5% was just an educated guess worst case scenario from me.

Trust me on one thing: if the actual death rate of this virus was as low as you suggest, governments across the world would not risk hitting their economies this hard. They's just let the virus roll, like they do with the normal flu.

That's not how you calculate mortality - and it is only parts of Italy that are really hard hit yet.

On the other hand the deaths are also underestimated - we don't know how much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I hate to inject reality into your bullshit but your idiotic sum infers that all of the population had the disease.

The correct maths would be number of deaths / people confirmed with the virus. Which currently makes it 15362/124632*100 = 12.35%

Now we know this is high because theres people that haven't been tested, its skewed towards older people getting it / whatever.

But the 0,025% mortality rate you quoted it dishonest and farcical. Par for the course with you.
    How do you know they don't all have it? Especially when 80% of cases are asymptomatic. Your denominator is false, you have no clue on the numbers of people who have the virus.

OK glass half empty people say only hospital admissions have it, glass half full people say we all have it. You nor I are right, nobody knows.

We could be vastly overestimating the death rate for COVID-19. Here's why

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...-19-heres-why/

It is not just me saying it.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Oh for the fuck sake.

I was buying groceries and keeping distance to people like usual and doing all the safety measures I can.

Then as I was collecting my stuff after paying, this dickbag fat fuck comes there to buy huge pack of beer and then starts clearing his throat right there in front of the cashier and next to me. Of course not covering his face.

At that moment I was putting last of my stuff in bag and leaving. Not sure if it helped any, but I attempted not to breathe at that time and basically ran out. Took shower afterwards. If the guy was sick, it was probably too late.

I hope he wasnt sick...

Sure, everyone has it

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure, everyone has it
    Only Joan down the road is confirmed as having it, we know that because she was the only one who went to hospital and died ergo the mortality rate is 100%. We are all therefore going to die.

Yeah rolleyes indeed.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Sure, everyone has it
    Well since its a global outbreak you can be pretty sure that millions of ppl have or had it.

How do you know they don't all have it?
    No realistic model indicates that everyone would become infected, and not every test done in Italy comes back positive.

Still the number could be a lot higher, as there are estimates that 5-20 millions Italian have had it, and perhaps 60k have died from it.
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/ - which also hints at an IFR of around 1%.

How do you know they don't all have it? Especially when 80% of cases are asymptomatic. Your denominator is false, you have no clue on the numbers of people who have the virus.

OK glass half empty people say only hospital admissions have it, glass half full people say we all have it. You nor I are right, nobody knows.

We could be vastly overestimating the death rate for COVID-19. Here's why

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...-19-heres-why/

Actually that article owned itself because both sides of the equations are wrong we don't have enough tests for the living so the dead aren't tested either. The death toll from the virus is actually higher but that's actually arguing about the trees and missing the forest. The whole problem is the fact that if not curbed this virus will overwhelm the health care system like it did in several countries and hundreds of thousands of people if not millions will die including those who don't have it due to lack of care.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Oh for the fuck sake.

I was buying groceries and keeping distance to people like usual and doing all the safety measures I can.

Then as I was collecting my stuff after paying, this dickbag fat fuck comes there to buy huge pack of beer and then starts clearing his throat right there in front of the cashier and next to me. Of course not covering his face.

At that moment I was putting last of my stuff in bag and leaving. Not sure if it helped any, but I attempted not to breathe at that time and basically ran out. Took shower afterwards. If the guy was sick, it was probably too late.

I hope he wasnt sick...
    Maybe he was one of those "pfft, Earth is overpopulated anyway, who cares if some pussies die. 'Sides, they say that alcohol kills virus, that's why I got all that beer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Actually that article owned itself because both sides of the equations are wrong we don't have enough tests for the living so the dead aren't tested either. The death toll from the virus is actually higher but that's actually arguing about the trees and missing the forest. The whole problem is the fact that if not curbed this virus will overwhelm the health care system like it did in several countries and hundreds of thousands of people if not millions will die including those who don't have it due to lack of care.
    That's kind of the problem with this pandemic. Some people only look at deaths from the virus and ignore everything else. Other health conditions did not miracously dissapear during this time. Millions of people still need medical attention, hospital beds and doctors looking after them - and all of these resources are becoming more scarce (especially since medical staff is most likely to get infected). So even if Covid "only" kills (whatever percentage is actually true), it will cause issues with health system that will claim even more lives.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2020-04-05 at 10:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A celebrity Finnish ecologist ("ecofascist") Pentti Linkola has died. It's unknown whether he died of corona or what, he was quite old.

He was advocating for culling of much of the Earth's population to save the planet. He was also offering to sacrifice his own life if it could save millions of others.

Maybe his macabre wish came true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentti_Linkola
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Not sure if it helped any, but I attempted not to breathe at that time and basically ran out. Took shower afterwards. If the guy was sick, it was probably too late.
    I hope he wasnt sick...
    Dear lord, are people really this afraid?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    He was advocating for culling of much of the Earth's population to save the planet.
    I never understood the logic behind statements like that. Same goes for Thanos in Avengers.
    Culling the population is a bandaid fix and merely postpones the collapse.
    You need to address the underlying behavioral issues if you really want to achieve a difference.

Unless the dead is rich/famous, we don't test on dead people.

We tested less than 1% population, and 1 million confirmed case.
    At this moment, at least 100 million people have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    At this moment, at least 100 million people have it.
    Not sure I'd go quite that far but I think it is safe to say that you can add an order of magnitude to the confirmed cases, yes.

A celebrity Finnish ecologist ("ecofascist") Pentti Linkola has died. It's unknown whether he died of corona or what, he was quite old.

He was advocating for culling of much of the Earth's population to save the planet. He was also offering to sacrifice his own life if it could save millions of others.

Maybe his macabre wish came true.
    Except, I don't see how his in itself death will save any lives - unless it means that his ideas also die with him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Except, I don't see how his in itself death will save any lives - unless it means that his ideas also die with him.
    More resources for others.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Here is an interesting history of the virus, along with some commentary afterwards.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hell-...163655629.html

Title: Hell is Coming and We Sold Out Our National Security For A Few Dollars

Let's start with some excerpts.

Part of his commentary:

We messed up. On March 1, according to the MSN virus tracker, on March 1, just 5 weeks ago, we had 0 confirmed deaths (contradicts the article, which says the first confirmed death was Feb 29, but whatever), and 62 confirmed cases. We had plenty of warning, mostly ignored the warnings, and 5 weeks later here we are. And it is likely to get quite a bit worse over the next month, and even worse in the month after that.
    A lot of the fuckups around the world are 100% attributable to the WHO telling the world everything is fine after having been to China. Most countries, including the USA, yolo'd it thinking it would be a flu at best, and that is even if it could spread from China.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...down-rd58g6tc9

"Boris Johnson’s coronavirus adviser calls for a way out of lockdown

Britain may still need to adopt herd immunity"

Rip British people.
    Hrmm. Doesn't Boris Johnson have the virus? Maybe his adviser should spend some time with him if he's so against not spreading it.