Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    What are you even talking about Themius? We know where the Uyghurs are: in the ghettos and concentration camps, just as China intended.
    There are a bunch of floating organs that shouldn't be in China. Those people aren't in ghettos or camps.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are a bunch of floating organs that shouldn't be in China. Those people aren't in ghettos or camps.
    Fair enough. I thought you were alluding to the Uyghurs, which is seems to be the most well known ethnicity dealing with China's racism at the moment. Yeah, China's forced organ harvesting is terrifying though, esp. of their country's minorities and detainees.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Fair enough. I thought you were alluding to the Uyghurs, which is seems to be the most well known ethnicity dealing with China's racism at the moment. Yeah, China's forced organ harvesting is terrifying though, esp. of their country's minorities and detainees.
    Not just Uyghur now, but also the Hui people now.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    At this point I think everyone just needs a break from it all.
    With hurricanes, they have an update every 3 hours as it approaches land. But, the news has 24hour coverage. Rarely any new information in between the 3 hour updates from the National Hurricane Center, but non stop coverage to make sure everyone is watching and afraid to change the channel or they will die.

So, yeah, it's important to get people to understand the point of the distancing and other measures and the severity of the disease, but at the same time the non-stop coverage (especially when people are stuck at home) is just not a healthy thing, IMO. At least with a hurricane it ends in a week or two, who knows with this.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    With hurricanes, they have an update every 3 hours as it approaches land. But, the news has 24hour coverage. Rarely any new information in between the 3 hour updates from the National Hurricane Center, but non stop coverage to make sure everyone is watching and afraid to change the channel or they will die.

So, yeah, it's important to get people to understand the point of the distancing and other measures and the severity of the disease, but at the same time the non-stop coverage (especially when people are stuck at home) is just not a healthy thing, IMO. At least with a hurricane it ends in a week or two, who knows with this.
    no the point is to keep people updated on the hurricane so they can take appropriate measures. do they use sensationalist headlines? sometimes. if you want pbjective information you can look at the actual weather reports themselves. same with covid 19 situation. you don't HAVE to watch the news headlines. it's also not hard to read between the lines and figure stuff out for yourself.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    no the point is to keep people updated on the hurricane so they can take appropriate measures. do they use sensationalist headlines? sometimes. if you want pbjective information you can look at the actual weather reports themselves. same with covid 19 situation. you don't HAVE to watch the news headlines. it's also not hard to read between the lines and figure stuff out for yourself.
    Actually I just check the NHC website after it updates. It doesn't mean that the non-stop news coverage is useful. The updates are every 3 hours and reviewing the information for the following 3 hours is generally more fear mongering than providing useful service. At least in my opinion, yours obviously varies.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Another day goes by with Polish Government discussing how to rig upcoming elections rather than deal with coronavirus. In todays episode - Lets remove anonymity from voting. God, i love my country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

Personally it's not even that. The news barrage I don't really care that much. I don't look at numbers day to day or anything. It's stuff like being stuck inside and when I do have to go outside for groceries the amount of precautions taken. For example I out of just extreme paranoia end up going out with a disposable make shift mask (3 layer one using water proof, filter, absorbant cloth and even that weird metal band thing, basically imitate a surgical mask without being one), gloves, bottle of sanitizer/isopropyl alcohol 70/92%(?) and whatever else I forgot. Sanitize stuff when I get home with an alcohol wipe. It does get stressful and tiresome.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2020-04-07 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in intensive care after coronavirus symptoms worsen

I know I should feel bad but he is such a gigantic asshole especially about the virus and his handling of it I don't.

What I'm curious about is who is in charge of the UK now, because IIRC they don't have any succession.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    What I'm curious about is who is in charge of the UK now, because IIRC they don't have any succession.
    I would assume they have something similar to the US but not quite sure, he will have the best of care so doubtful he will die though I wouldn't shed a tear.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Not just Uyghur now, but also the Hui people now.
    This is a little off-topic, but I was starting to think that China may hate Muslims, because both the Hui and Uyghurs are both Islamic; however, it seems as though China has been intensely cracking down on all religions. I had known that they were big on state-sponsored atheism, but I didn't realize that they hated religion so much that they would effectively try and force all the worship of God to instead worship of the state.
    Last edited by Magical Mudcrab; 2020-04-07 at 01:03 AM.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

I would assume they have something similar to the US but not quite sure, he will have the best of care so doubtful he will die though I wouldn't shed a tear.
    They don't have anything like that in their constitution no. I don't think he'll die, but if he's in the ICU I don't see how he can run the government.

This is a little off-topic, but I was starting to think that China may hate Muslims, because both the Hui and Uyghurs are both Islamic; however, it seems as though China has been intensely cracking down on all religions. I had known that they were big on state-sponsored atheism, but I didn't realize that they hated religion so much that they would effectively try and force all the worship of God to instead worship of the state.
    Yes China has been like this for a while... it isn't just Muslims, it's Buddhist too, that random Trump loving cult... any part that has a different opinion. Any Chinese person that isn't Han.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Complaining that someone is not reading your posts is hilarious, considering that you keep making me repeat the same points over and over despite your clear attempts at strawmanning.
    You keep repeating the same falsehoods, as if repeating them will make them true.

Logarithmic graphs don't normalize the starting point. Nobody ever claimed they did.
    You literally said that. Here;

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And that's precisely why you should look at logarithmic graphs instead of linear graphs.

A later start to an exponential curve is hugely meaningful.

Bold is my emphasis. You said that I should look at logarithmic graphs, and your reason was "a later start to an exponential curve is hugely meaningful". I'm not cutting anything out of that post, other than the image, and only for size; it was an example you were using to back up that statement right there.

So yeah. You claimed this. It's right there. I'm not reverse-editing your own posts to misrepresent what you literally said, or something.

Why do you keep fucking ignoring context? "The primary difference between my graph and yours was that mine was logarithmic instead of linear. You said that using a logarithmic visualization was wrong [in the specific instance, clearly stated in the previous sentence, which is the subject of the current discussion]."
    This is a lie. You're straight-up lying. I never said using logarithmic scales was wrong. I said at multiple points that logarithmic analyses were useful.

You're making shit up and pretending that's what I said, rather than dealing with my actual words. Which is why you're not quoting me, directly, when talking about my earlier statements. Because you wouldn't get the opportunity to maliciously paraphrase my words incorrectly if you had to deal with a direct quote.

So let me be clear: your graph was the wrong way to look at the data in order to achieve the goal that you professed.

That's not moving goalposts, that's correcting an error.
    Except that it has nothing to do with the goal I was discussing, at that point.

I already told you this, but you're insisting I must have super-secretly meant something I didn't say, if you read behind enough lines to make up the secret truth behind what I actually posted, or some horseshit.

You're not responding to what I post. You're making shit up, and pretending I said it, when I didn't. I've told you I didn't say it, and you're insisting on it, so at this point, it's not a simple error. You're doing this out of malice, for some reason.
    Last edited by Endus; 2020-04-07 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    we all need to stay calm and trust in donald trump's great judgement. he has kept us safe for all this time. nothing will go wrong if we trust our great commander in chief.
    Yeah, no, his bullshit have literally killed people. Fuck Trump.

5+ Year Old Account
    Stay on topic.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in intensive care after coronavirus symptoms worsen

I know I should feel bad but he is such a gigantic asshole especially about the virus and his handling of it I don't.
    really? think your find while he could have responded sooner, once everything was in full swing he didn't turn the other way. Nobody knew early on the full scope of how bad it was, mostly because china doesn't share facts with the outside world.
    Even when he's had the virus he's been trying to do his job as leader, so cut the guy some slack.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    really? think your find while he could have responded sooner, once everything was in full swing he didn't turn the other way. Nobody knew early on the full scope of how bad it was, mostly because china doesn't share facts with the outside world.
    Even when he's had the virus he's been trying to do his job as leader, so cut the guy some slack.
    He advocated for herd immunity, made fun of the virus talking about shaking hands with people with it that's on top of his past transgressions so no slack to be cut for him. And this whole nobody knew is bullshit everybody knew people have been talking about this for decades, every Western country had contingency plans for it and intelligence agencies were sounding the alarm all the way back in December.

10+ Year Old Account
    He advocated for herd immunity, made fun of the virus talking about shaking hands with people with it that's on top of his past transgressions so no slack to be cut for him. And this whole nobody knew is bullshit everybody knew people have been talking about this for decades, every Western country had contingency plans for it and intelligence agencies were sounding the alarm all the way back in December.
    let me ask you a hypothetical. Suppose this virus spread a couple years ago, when obama was president of the US of A. Now we can agree he probably would have handled it better then trump would, but it is very unlikely he would have gotten america up to speed on preparing for a pandemic of this nature, and thousends would still have died if he was in office.
    Can you name me a single western leader that was fully prepared for this? One that isn't controlled by a dictatorship.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    let me ask you a hypothetical. Suppose this virus spread a couple years ago, when obama was president of the US of A. Now we can agree he probably would have handled it better then trump would, but it is very unlikely he would have gotten america up to speed on preparing for a pandemic of this nature, and thousends would still have died if he was in office.
    Can you name me a single western leader that was fully prepared for this? One that isn't controlled by a dictatorship.
    South Korea, Taiwan, Iceland, Hong Kong, Singapore are non dictatorship countries that handled it better than the US. Also you are incorrect during the Obama administration thanks to the lessons of previous outbreaks and Ebola had the US ranked #1 for pandemic response. The reason we were not prepared for this is that under Donald Trump the institutional structures and experience build by previous presidents were destroyed.

A simple example during the transfer of power part of the Trump team was briefed on handling this kind of situation most of these people are gone. This would have been handled better if the Trump administration didn't have such an empty government with so many people with zero experience running their departments or plain empty seats. If you want to see an obvious example look no further than Chad Wolf one of the many acting heads in this case DHS, he didn't even know that COVID was far more deadly than the flu.