Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    In this thought exercise, I'm the one wielding a rifle in the land of the free, and you're not taking away my rights. Since you can't convince me this disease is dangerous, I'll keep spreading it without knowing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Cooties is a disease too. Why do I need to wear a mask, again?
    If you are wielding a rifle, and are a threat, then you will be treated as such.

It's private property, your rights are intact. If you are on public property, I don't give a shit what you do. If you choose to harm others, then you will be put down.

It's not my job to convince ignorant people to see the light. The reason they are ignorant, is because they ignore evidence. They are inherently unreasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    isn't a disease technically more slower?
    Slower than what? I don't understand. Covid-19 is a disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

so educating yourself is polarizing now? we do have a name for it it's called the coronavirus.
    Every damn thing is polarizing here mostly because of ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I need to stop, you guys don't understand what I'm trying to convey - your side needs the ignoramuses to understand you, not the other way around.
    What side is my side again, and what side is yours? And I have been rather patient in trying to answer.
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Slower than what? I don't understand. Covid-19 is a disease.
    i thought diseases were something that ravages your body over time more like ms or alzheimer's or cancer or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I need to stop, you guys don't understand what I'm trying to convey - your side needs the ignoramuses to understand you, not the other way around.
    at this point i think your being deliberately obtuse.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    What side is my side again, and what side is yours? And I have been rather patient in trying to answer.
    Your side (I hope) is the one that wants to contain the pandemic through convincing people to keep social distancing etc, convincing people who honestly ask "if it's not a flu then what is it?" ... and this started with me pointing out that there is no widely known acronym for ARVI in English language, and this is (imho) a contributing factor. You need words for other people to hear your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Your side (I hope) is the one that wants to contain the pandemic through convincing people to keep social distancing etc, convincing people who honestly ask "if it's not a flu then what is it?" ... and this started with me pointing out that there is no widely known acronym for ARVI in English language, and this is (imho) a contributing factor. You need words for other people to hear your thoughts.
    It's the Coronavirus, also known as Covid-19.

It's. That. Fucking. Simple.

You are making an argument that we fix people's stupidity. There are already plenty of words to describe this that isn't flu. We've explained it. There is no fixing stupidity regardless.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    at this point i think your being deliberately obtuse.
    no u.
    If I'm a person who hasn't been tested for Covid yet, and I'm unknowingly spreading it, you can't make me not spread it, you don't even know I'm the one. You need to convince other people that social distancing is worth doing it. Other people don't need anything from you, they are content as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    If you are wielding a rifle, and are a threat, then you will be treated as such.

It's private property, your rights are intact. If you are on public property, I don't give a shit what you do. If you choose to harm others, then you will be put down.

It's not my job to convince ignorant people to see the light. The reason they are ignorant, is because they ignore evidence. They are inherently unreasonable.
    See above, applies to you too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I trying to convince you, or some hypothetical person?

This is not all that complicated.

Both flu and Covid-19 are caused by a different virus. They share some of the symptoms, but not all of them. Covid-19 is more dangerous.

That's short and sweet. Google the rest, if you want.

no u.
    If I'm a person who hasn't been tested for Covid yet, and I'm unknowingly spreading it, you can't make me not spread it, you don't even know I'm the one. You need to convince other people that social distancing is worth doing it. Other people don't need anything from you, they are content as it is.

See above, applies to you too.
    And I already answered. Some people are simply too ignorant to be reasoned with.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's the Coronavirus, also known as Covid-19.

It's. That. Fucking. Simple.
    Man we're going in circles. Yeah okay its name is Coronavirus, or Bob, who cares. What does it do? In Russian the answer is "it's an ARVI, a severe one". Okay I'm a hillbilly but I know what an ARVI is, I know what to do. (seriously.) In English, the answer is "it's like flu but much worse". Disconnect. You didn't get through.

Russian hillbillies don't make it worse, because they understand the problem.

Man we're going in circles. Yeah okay it's name is Coronavirus, or Bob, who cares. What does it do? In Russian the answer is "it's an ARVI, a severe one". Okay I'm a hillbilly but I know what an ARVI is, I know what to do. (seriously.) In English, the answer is "it's like flu but much worse". Disconnect. You didn't get through.
    A hillbilly understands russian, but can't differentiate a Coronavirus with the Flu, yeah this is pointless argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Cynep;52309942]no u.

[QUOTE]
    yep no need to engage in debate with you any further on ignore you go. we all know what your really here to do now. shoo.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Man we're going in circles. Yeah okay it's name is Coronavirus, or Bob, who cares. What does it do? In Russian the answer is "it's an ARVI, a severe one". Okay I'm a hillbilly but I know what an ARVI is, I know what to do. (seriously.) In English, the answer is "it's like flu but much worse". Disconnect. You didn't get through.
    Once again, if people are ignorant, after it being explained to them, then they are ignorant on purpose... and there's no reasoning with them.

No, you don't pander to ignorant people who push a bullshit narrative about it being the flu. That is literally the talking point that Trumpsters and other ignorant fucktards use to downplay it. That is about the worst word to use. That word is already taken, try another.... like Coronavirus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man we're going in circles. Yeah okay its name is Coronavirus, or Bob, who cares. What does it do? In Russian the answer is "it's an ARVI, a severe one". Okay I'm a hillbilly but I know what an ARVI is, I know what to do. (seriously.) In English, the answer is "it's like flu but much worse". Disconnect. You didn't get through.

Russian hillbillies don't make it worse, because they understand the problem.
    Acute Respiratory Viral Infection. That ARVI?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    How do they work? Like, who pays them to produce ratings?
    That is a good question for this case.

It seems mostly the issuer of the bond pays them (I second the recommendation of "The Big Short" for the associated problem).
    But in some cases the buyer of the bond pays them under a subscription model (so you have to buy ratings from them to see them); but subscription models have some problems due to the internet.

Which leads to the question: Do governments pay them to rate their bonds (and why pay 10+ agencies for that)?
    I don't know, another possibility is that most of their work are other bonds and they just do the government rating for publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I seriously question their value in the world and how a pension fund might be tricked into buying better-rated stocks that are garbage and received that rating just because someone paid the rating agency.
    That is a problem, but the alternative is that the pension fund hires someone to check out the government and that person is tricked in similar ways.

Acute Respiratory Viral Infection. That ARVI?
    Great, we get to call it SARS.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I trying to convince you, or some hypothetical person?
    No, not me. In my mother tongue there's a word for a subset of diseases that in three syllables says "Both flu and Covid-19 are caused by a different virus. They share some of the symptoms, but not all of them." It sounds "oh-ehr-zeh", every child knows it. English, as I'm told, lacks the word.

There was a study in linguistics that posited "if you can't say something, you can't think it". The study is now deemed controversial due to PC, but these last two pages are an illustration of it. I simply can't convey my idea of "you need to talk to your opponents, and you need to formulate your thoughts in a way so they understand you". Cultural differences stand in my way. Moderators, sorry for spamming, I'll shut up for now.

Or just call it a "respiratory disease", which is a common term including this one, and the normal flu, and the common cold.