10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Whelp update

My Besty went from getting a result today, to "possibly Friday".
    She took the test on Sunday.

Still in bed, still has fever and all the other symptoms and conditions. Doing better but still fucked up.

and again we are in one of the few cases where the #'s have dropped and are 75% below peak and she still can't get it done fast.

I wonder how lagged they are in these other states?
    How can it be this bad (testing) this many months into it still?
    Well it could be just a virus from a moskito.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Problem is they are spreading it more because they do not have symptoms.

I think at some point, we might just have to start punching non mask wearing people in the face. Then they can cover up their bruises and we all win.
    CV19 spreads the most before symptoms manifest. That's why the whole 'most people are asymptomatic' thing was a huge misconception. Still is.

An area I know just struck down masks today. It's in Florida. People in FL seem to be very smart...

The only virus spreading isn't just the SARS-CoV-2.

Also also, apparently Trump is changing his messaging on masks. Guess more of his voters are getting sick than expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Whelp update

My Besty went from getting a result today, to "possibly Friday".
    She took the test on Sunday.

Still in bed, still has fever and all the other symptoms and conditions. Doing better but still fucked up.

and again we are in one of the few cases where the #'s have dropped and are 75% below peak and she still can't get it done fast.

I wonder how lagged they are in these other states?
    How can it be this bad (testing) this many months into it still?
    Hope that works out for everyone. About 5 days of lag seems like what happens looking at the way numbers are reported. It's fun arguing with people every time they see a decline that really only represents a lag n the processing of tests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Idiots in Texas are protesting because Abbott ordered bars closed again due to the surge in COVID-19 cases, whining about how 'Bar Lives Matter'. Naturally, there seems to be very few people wearing masks. These right-wing COVIDiots are why COVID-19 is surging so badly in red states.

Also, when do you think the cops in riot gear are going to show up and start shooting rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at these protesters?
    I'm not anti-bar or drinking but those clowns make themselves look like a bunch of alcoholics protesting bars being closed.

Just go to the liquor store, get something with a loud enough speaker, sit on your porch and drink until you pass out if you need alcohol that bad.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Also also, apparently Trump is changing his messaging on masks.
    Finally good news I want to hear. Hope he starts wearing masks publicly to get his supporters in line. I'm so sick of this shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Pretty grim milestone, but the US has officially broken 50k daily cases of Covid-19 today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Finally good news I want to hear. Hope he starts wearing masks publicly to get his supporters in line. I'm so sick of this shit.
    He said he looked like Lone Ranger in one... so, now we know what he was doing when tweeting Lone Warrior... fucker can’t remember shit...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    This is interesting and potentially good: Coronavirus: Immunity may be more widespread than tests suggest. They say 2 out of 3 are immune to Covid without testing positive for antibodies.

Small sample size of 200 of course, and it's unclear how it's related to herd immunity, but it corroborates my previous observation about the 3% confirmed case "soft cap": if 33% is the limit of how high confirmed cases can go, then it makes sense that, even in bad hotspots, at mere 3% confirmed and who knows how many unconfirmed cases we see declines in infection speed: some people are protected by countermeasures, and allegedly 66% are outright immune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    guys it's official we have full blown coronavirus parties now:
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-st...ry?id=71552514

the stupid has reached critical mass folks.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Random thought. With all these anti-masks people running around imagine if the internet was a thing when hand washing and disinfectants were discovered.

"I REFUSE TO WASH MY HANDS BECAUSE IT REMOVES THE DIRT IVE BECOME ATTACKED TOO!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Pretty grim milestone, but the US has officially broken 50k daily cases of Covid-19 today.
    correction: 51k.

- - - Updated - - -

Random thought. With all these anti-masks people running around imagine if the internet was a thing when hand washing and disinfectants were discovered.

"I REFUSE TO WASH MY HANDS BECAUSE IT REMOVES THE DIRT IVE BECOME ATTACKED TOO!"
    it would be more like "I REFUSE TO WASH MY HANDS BECAUSE <insert religious figure here> TOLD ME SO!" or "I REFUSE TO WASH MY HANDS BECAUSE WASHING YOUR HANDS IS THE TOOL OF THE DEVIL!" it would also probably be filled with lists of whose declaring war on who today and which princess or prince is getting arranged married this year.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    guys it's official we have full blown coronavirus parties now:
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-st...ry?id=71552514

the stupid has reached critical mass folks.
    Theres a wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus_party

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    correction: 51k.

- - - Updated - - -

it would be more like "I REFUSE TO WASH MY HANDS BECAUSE <insert religious figure here> TOLD ME SO!" or "I REFUSE TO WASH MY HANDS BECAUSE WASHING YOUR HANDS IS THE TOOL OF THE DEVIL!" it would also probably be filled with lists of whose declaring war on who today and which princess or prince is getting arranged married this year.
    'JESUS DIDN'T HIS BODY"

'But Jesus literally went around washing peoples hands and feet..."

WELL NOT IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres a wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus_party

- - - Updated - - -

'JESUS DIDN'T HIS BODY"

'But Jesus literally went around washing peoples hands and feet..."

WELL NOT IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
    "who was hotter king champagne or otto the first"
    "when is the right time to plant your cabbages?"
    "was ghengis khan better than attila?"

10+ Year Old Account

Um, hate to tell you this...but the dude who originally proposed handwashing in the modern period was ridiculed and institutionalized by his colleagues.

Then he got beaten by the aslyum orderlies and died, ironically enough, of a in infected wound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Saw a friends facebook post about a guy who had some paperwork after he got his covid tests. The usual things like recommendations and all that. One thing he took a photo of was a line in there stating that the CDC doesn't recommend wearing masks for a long time. Oh, and that isn't even mentioning the fact that they use the key words of "may help prevent" or the line of "most likely to". Such ambiguous statements that it could be interpreted in either direction.

I did my own research on it. Oh boy. So This is the CDC website on the issue. It even has a link to studies to prove wearing cloth face masks work. Well, they recommend anyone who has issues breathing to Not wear a face mask. So, you know, the people who would also be classified as high risk. Heck, even someone with symptoms would fall under that category since it inhibits breathing.

There's more funny though! Here is their link list of studies that they say prove wearing a cloth face mask work. The problems with this list is, it doesn't prove it. If anything, it proves that wearing them doesn't help that much. Links 1-12 basically talk about how its spread and how it functions. Common enough knowledge. That leaves the last 7.

Link 13 says that surgical masks are still 3 times more effective and that cloth masks should Only be used as a last resort. Link 14 says any cloth mask with a loose fit has what effectiveness it has reduced by 60%, which is probably the majority of homemade masks. Link 15 completely contradicts link 13 by saying 2 layers is as good as a surgical mask. So now, you have contradicting information. Though link 15 is basically dis-proven by every other link.

Link 16 found that it takes 4 layers of kitchen paper, or paper towels, to achieve the same effectiveness as a medical mask. At that point, you cant wear that too long without just getting it soaked in germs. Then links 17-20 only look at surgical masks. So useless in their argument that they have proof of cloth face masks working.

In short, its a joke. Their own articles of proof show cloth face masks need multiple layers or a filter added to be effective and can not be loose fitting. Heck, only even says they should be a last resort. I wear a mask all day at work, so this is slightly irritating to find out this information. The way I figure it, they tell the news to say "yeah, they should be fine" so they can get people to lay off buying N95 masks since surgeons need them more. Problem is, their own studies agree. Surgical masks are far better, by 3 times, than a cloth mask If it had a filter and was tight fitting.

I'll still wear one when I must. But I am going to continue what I have been doing. Avoiding people and following the other, better methods, to avoid getting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Oh, and that isn't even mentioning the fact that they use the key words of "may help prevent" or the line of "most likely to". Such ambiguous statements that it could be interpreted in either direction.
    Using creationist talking points to own the libs. They love to point out that researchers are unwilling to make dogmatic absolute statements (because everything is provisional) and use that intellectual honesty to try and refute the validity of the conclusions reached as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    This is interesting and potentially good: Coronavirus: Immunity may be more widespread than tests suggest. They say 2 out of 3 are immune to Covid without testing positive for antibodies.
    I also noticed that and wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    roughly twice as many have this immunity as have anti-bodies.
    But now I realize that both my post and the BBC article could be misinterpreted. As far as I understand people with anti-bodies normally also have T-cell immunity, so I think it's roughly 1 out of 2 that are immune without testing positive for antibodies (the ratio can, of course, vary between countries).

Assuming that T-cells actually give sufficient immunity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Saw a friends facebook post about a guy who had some paperwork after he got his covid tests. The usual things like recommendations and all that. One thing he took a photo of was a line in there stating that the CDC doesn't recommend wearing masks for a long time. Oh, and that isn't even mentioning the fact that they use the key words of "may help prevent" or the line of "most likely to". Such ambiguous statements that it could be interpreted in either direction.

I'll still wear one when I must. But I am going to continue what I have been doing. Avoiding people and following the other, better methods, to avoid getting it.
    Good idea, and that highlights one of the problem with masks is when it used instead of physical distancing and other measures, instead of in combination with them.

At the society level it is even more complicated, and there are some potential additional benefits - I don't know if that has been studied much: your natural reaction is to stay away from people in masks - although that doesn't help in situation where you cannot physically distance, and face masks make people aware of the pandemic - or think that once we wear masks it is all solved.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Using creationist talking points to own the libs. They love to point out that researchers are unwilling to make dogmatic absolute statements (because everything is provisional) and use that intellectual honesty to try and refute the validity of the conclusions reached as well.
    My main problem is that the research they linked doesn't come to a conclusion that supports their recommendation. It comes to the conclusion that cloth masks should only be used as a last resort, that they need multiple layers and a filter and need to be tight fitting to have a decent effectiveness.

The bigger problem is, like we are seeing, peoples false sense of security with the masks. They incorrectly get the idea that they are now safe or immune from the virus when the fact is, a mask is already 3 times weaker then a surgical one. Toss in a loose fit and that goes down a further 60%. So people gather in large crowds with these crappy masks that basically amount to being barely better then nothing, and spread the sickness.

That is my biggest issue with these cloth masks. They barely work but idiots are using them in place of Every other safe practice. Its causing a spike. They need to can it with the mask requirement, or educate people on a Real, proper mask. Teach them it needs a filter, to fully cover the face and to not have gaps in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    At the society level it is even more complicated, and there are some potential additional benefits - I don't know if that has been studied much: your natural reaction is to stay away from people in masks - although that doesn't help in situation where you cannot physically distance, and face masks make people aware of the pandemic - or think that once we wear masks it is all solved.
    I've noticed the opposite. If I want to ensure people stay the heck away from me, I don't wear a mask. Its as you said, they think that once they wear the mask, all is solved. The truth is, a cloth, diy mask, is Barely better then nothing. As stated by the research the CDC cited. So, if I don't wear one, they stay the heck away. Even with a mask on themselves.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There are various levels of uncertainty, and you could get some (virtually) dogmatic statements about evolution itself from researchers - but what they research is the parts that are less well known.

For cloth masks we know they aren't fully effective, and we thus have a problem of quantitive uncertainty for something made in a non-uniform way combined with human behaviour. And similarly as for evolution there are some things we know for a fact: it is a disease caused by a virus that is primarily spread by people breathing out.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-07-02 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly people with serious breathing issues should simply stay on lockdown. It's horrible but that's the only good solution for them. Of course the question is what on earth can they do if they have no other means. In my country, people with such issues can request special purpose leave on a 3:1 schedule (3 days special purpose leave for one day of their mandated leave) and their employer gets reimbursed for special purpose days; this can get you off work for as much as four months if you use up all your leave. And they could also be put on pause and just be paid a special form of unemployment instead.
    Thats only a partial solution. We still don't know if a vaccine will even be made. Right now, its looking like even in 4 months time, this may still be here. While these mandates would be great, we don't have the ability to fund them here in the US. They barely got a stimulus check out that amounted to nothing. The special unemployment was good, but it was handled on a state by state level. Some states rolled it out easily and quickly. Others took months to do so.

Its just not practical that someone who has breathing issues stays home for an unforeseen amount of time. Especially when the rest of the world is starting to move again. People will only have sympathy for so long and for so much before they just do not care. Its already running out in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    So weird to see the difference in situation between the US and my little crowded country. Yesterday almost everything re opened with the rules: if you feel sick, stay at home. And keep 1.5 meter(5 ft) distance from each other. Masks are only mandatory in public transport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The USA is currently giving the world a front-row seat on how capitalist ideals are unable to handle a real crisis.
    I don't think we have less capitalist ideals over here. The right wing party has the majority over the last 12 years.