Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Yes it does. Due to the internet and the effect it has on how we perceive information (the news cycle, social media) we move from one issue to the next very quickly so something like a pandemic lost its staying power with people and became "old news" when it never really went away. Most people I know who are my age or younger (which is the demographic responsible for the rapid spread when I live) stopped quarantining or limiting their exposure to others because they weighed in their head that getting sick would not be as bad as being locked inside doing nothing all day.
    This seems to be a nice concise way of explaining what is happening across the country. And for a lot of people, its no where NEAR as bad, especially the ones that aren't getting sick.

On the other hand, the virus is growing quite fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Yes it does. Due to the internet and the effect it has on how we perceive information (the news cycle, social media) we move from one issue to the next very quickly so something like a pandemic lost its staying power with people and became "old news" when it never really went away. Most people I know who are my age or younger (which is the demographic responsible for the rapid spread where I live) stopped quarantining or limiting their exposure to others because they weighed in their head that getting sick would not be as bad as being locked inside doing nothing all day.
    Did not know we had smartphones during the spanish flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    This seems to be a nice concise way of explaining what is happening across the country. And for a lot of people, its no where NEAR as bad, especially the ones that aren't getting sick.

On the other hand, the virus is growing quite fast.
    I have been in quarantine since March and I'm lucky enough to be able to have a completely remote job and enough money to order all my food/products to my house so I don't go anywhere besides riding my bike around the neighborhood or running my car so it doesn't die. Of course the disease is so much worse now where I live that it almost makes quarantining in March or April look pointless in retrospect. My point is that I understand the crunch of being isolated as much anyone but I also understand that most people do need to go back into the world to work or do essential tasks. The problem is that people are doing much more than going to work, going shopping, and going home and we are all paying the price.
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2020-07-05 at 11:17 PM.

I have been in quarantine since March and I'm lucky enough to be able to have a completely remote job and enough money to order all my food/products to my house so I don't go anywhere besides riding my back around the neighborhood or running my car so it doesn't die. Of course the disease is so much worse now where I live that it almost makes quarantining in March or April look pointless in retrospect. My point is that I understand the crunch of being isolated as much anyone but I also understand that most people do need to go back into the world to work or do essential tasks. The problem is that people are doing much more than going to work, going shopping, and going home and we are all paying the price.
    I've been unemployed for over a year now, likely becoming an early retiree, and am currently living with my children. I have not left their house except for maybe 2 times in the last couple of months, and to go to a mini-deck in their yard and get my daily steps in.

I am doing my best to deal with the virus. The realities of life in the US means I'll be confined to where I am living for quite a while - definitely until the end of this year, and at least 6 months of next year. It might be longer, I doubt it will be much shorter if at all.

I am in a reasonably good place compared to others these days. I helped my children out quite a bit in the past, and as the old saying goes, Payback can be awfully nice

And yeah, I agree with everything you just wrote. All of the benefits of the March-April lock downs and restrictions have been wiped out and then some with the too much reopening too fast.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-07-05 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Or maybe its related to how hard right conservatives across the globe just don't give enough of a fuck to do anything about it, but that would require looking at your favourite politicions in a bad light.
    The issue is one of intelligence and responsibility. Responsible and smart right and left-wing people are doing the same thing right now. Going out when they have to and staying home when they don't. And wearing a mask and social distancing. Where I live these people are probably about 20-30% of the population if I had to guess.

I can't speak for the entire world but I live in a solidly left-wing area and I can tell you the difference between irresponsible and stupid right and left-wing people as to how they approach the virus on an individual level (which is what I believe actually matters at the end of the day) is that irresponsible and stupid right-wing people downplay the virus in discussion and don't take enough precautions to avoid it while irresponsible and stupid left-wing people recognize the threat of the virus until an issue that they perceive as being more important comes along where they then forget about it and on an individual level take precautions only so far as they can signal to others on social media that they are being responsible.

But yes, the apparatus for signalling is more responsible on the left (recognizing the virus, deriding those who don't) than the right (downplaying the virus, deriding those who recognize it).

Yes it does. Due to the internet and the effect it has on how we perceive information (the news cycle, social media) we move from one issue to the next very quickly so something like a pandemic lost its staying power with people and became "old news" when it never really went away.
    It's because people are listening to fake information or being willfully ignorant because of Trumpublicans, it has nothing to do with how you perceive information.

stupid left-wing people recognize the threat of the virus until an issue that they perceive as being more important comes along where they then forget about it and on an individual level take precautions only so far as they can signal to others on social media that they are being responsible.
    that is false Left Wingers have not forgotten about the Coronavirus, the Left Wing are much more responsible then the Right during the pandemic since they are much more educated and listen to Medical Professionals and unlike Trumpers who instead listen to Racist Pro Coronavirus Politicians.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-07-06 at 11:28 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    You may not get it necessarily by eating the virus but an infected food handler could possibly spread the virus to people or surfaces in their environment.

COVID-19 doesn't grow or multiply on Surfaces, they may not last as Long on some Foods compared to other surfaces (there is little to no proof of this), the food handler can still spread the virus to people or surfaces in their environment.
    The virus does not spread well on via surfaces even if can remain detectable for up to 3 days. Its viral load is too low and it essentially becomes inactive. That doesn't mean not to wash your hands, especially if your touching others, but surfaces are actually low risk.

Again not full proof but the same reason why you don't drown while drinking water or worry about food particles getting into your longs is the same reason why it's hard to get COVID19 from food. Assuming the virus is not destroyed, enough of it would have to be attacked to food that ends up in your lungs to infect you. Not likely.

On the other hand, some are now calling COVID19 airborne. Before it was suspected that COVID19 is carried by droplets that quickly disperse after leaving the body. They travel then fall to the ground in a short period of time, hence why standing 6ft away from someone who was talking/coughing was sufficient. Some now believe that COVID19 can attach itself to smaller droplets, an aerosol that can remain afloat a lot longer than normal respiratory droplets.

It could be that only trace amounts of COVID19 can be found in aerosols, not enough to get you sick, or aerosols could be an actual vector for the disease. That would make masks a lot more essential for containing the virus.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My impression from living in Florida amidst all this is that a long, drawn-out pandemic that relies on individual responsibility and concern for those around you by avoiding unnecessary outings, wearing a mask, and making sacrifices does not combine well with an era defined by smartphone attention spans and a generation where "not giving a fuck" about anything outside Twitter activism is considered a virtue.
    Funny, it seems the people I've seen in my area most overreacting are people in their mid 30's to late 50's. Thankfully, as someone in my mid 30's, I'm not a whiny and entitled idiot when it comes to the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask when I'm shopping. Frankly, all the idiots out there whining about having to wear a mask, I have no sympathy if they get infected.

Good luck with this going away this year and next year, even with a vaccine. People are speaking of the mask being "evil" and same along with the vaccine. There are also politicians telling people the virus is fake. While there's also corps and businesses complaining about money, stupid people worried about having fun and haircuts over the expense of lives at risk. Until everyone is locked in their home/whatever for at least three-four months, brought food and money to them, then this will go on forever. Virus is already evolving.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Man... Republicans really fucked this up.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Yes it does. Due to the internet and the effect it has on how we perceive information (the news cycle, social media) we move from one issue to the next very quickly so something like a pandemic lost its staying power with people and became "old news" when it never really went away. Most people I know who are my age or younger (which is the demographic responsible for the rapid spread where I live) stopped quarantining or limiting their exposure to others because they weighed in their head that getting sick would not be as bad as being locked inside doing nothing all day.
    It really doesn't though.

You're using an anecdotal situation. And even past that, you're using information from a single state that's really failing here compared to any other state as you try to blame "smartphones".

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...ay-level-high/

For a source, which shows pretty decently how this falls across age groups in Florida. The only real outlier is the 25-34 age group, otherwise the infection rate isn't that far off from each age group generally speaking while Florida also has a larger elderly population.

There's something else at play than your idea of "smartphone attention spans!" when you have states like NY who aren't coming close to what is going on in Florida.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, after the 1.5th/2nd wave (depends who you're asking) we're back to locking shit down.

• Bars, clubs, wedding/celebration halls, theaters, cinemas, pools and gyms are closed immediately.
    • Restaurants - up to 20 people
    • Public transport - up to 20 people, no AC, windows open
    • Religious crap - up to 19 people
    • Various gatherings - up to 20 people
    • Summer schools and camps - only for elementary school students
    • Public government services - at least 30% of the staff to work from home.

This is the first batch approved now by the government and I imagine there will be more.

The issue is one of intelligence and responsibility. Responsible and smart right and left-wing people are doing the same thing right now. Going out when they have to and staying home when they don't. And wearing a mask and social distancing. Where I live these people are probably about 20-30% of the population if I had to guess.

I can't speak for the entire world but I live in a solidly left-wing area and I can tell you the difference between irresponsible and stupid right and left-wing people as to how they approach the virus on an individual level (which is what I believe actually matters at the end of the day) is that irresponsible and stupid right-wing people downplay the virus in discussion and don't take enough precautions to avoid it while irresponsible and stupid left-wing people recognize the threat of the virus until an issue that they perceive as being more important comes along where they then forget about it and on an individual level take precautions only so far as they can signal to others on social media that they are being responsible.

But yes, the apparatus for signalling is more responsible on the left (recognizing the virus, deriding those who don't) than the right (downplaying the virus, deriding those who recognize it).
    Given your penchant for treating everything left of your subscribed brand of fascism as "left-wing", I have a hard time believing your "left-wing" area is actually remotely left-wing at all.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's the bubonic plage now is it?

God, what I hate about this is the numerous "media" platforms picking up on anything disease related...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    - Nonsense snipped -
    And what has all that unnecessary gish-gallop got to do with the fact that potentially infected food doesn't instantly teleport into your stomach?

All the points you listed are basically only valid if contact of person-to-food-to-person is significantly delayed, or goes through a separate process of disinfection.

Furthermore, we brush our teeth, rinse our mouth and floss for a reason, because bacteria and viruses can live and proliferate in our mouth. Do you not use your mouth to eat like the rest of us? Do you not touch utensils like the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    And in case you didn’t want to go back and read, this is the quote I was replying to (in here):
    Cool, and again, you didn't actually disprove the claim made in the quote.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

God, what I hate about this is the numerous "media" platforms picking up on anything disease related...
    It's social psychology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

The bubonic plague is hardly anything new. There are still cases every year. Unlike in the Dark Ages, the bubonic plague is very curable now.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    So, after the 1.5th/2nd wave (depends who you're asking) we're back to locking shit down.
    Ouch, you eclipsed your first wave already.

Here in Germany, everything is boring (thankfully).
    Though mask compliance in the city where I live seems to be 90%+.
    Not much difference in terms of "maintaining distance", as far as I can see but I only venture out to shop and go to work.

https://twitter.com/DavidWeissMD/sta...07733067616257

In case some people outside America wonder why we have so many problems trying to get a handle on the virus here...

Because this is the kind of absolutely mind-numbingly stupid and offensive shit that a not-insignificant number of Americans actually believe. The owner of the paper, a local chair of a US political party, apologized and pulled the cartoon following a mountain of criticism.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ng-protests-to

And example #2 - The governor of a state, rejecting all evidence that suggests that spikes in states weren't directly due to protests but other factors, "calling out" the media for simply reporting on the studies that found that spikes were likely not a result of the protests.

Because, again, a not-insignificant part of America seems determined to make this into a political issue and ignore literally all medical and scientific advise and data that is inconvenient.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/DavidWeissMD/sta...07733067616257

In case some people outside America wonder why we have so many problems trying to get a handle on the virus here...

<snip disgusting image>

Because this is the kind of absolutely mind-numbingly stupid and offensive shit that a not-insignificant number of Americans actually believe. The owner of the paper, a local chair of a US political party, apologized and pulled the cartoon following a mountain of criticism.
    It is impressive how one catastrophic event can highlight all the flaws in the system. Let's see how little the US actually learns from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.