Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    If their loose fitting, their 60% less effective since at that point, they are not blocking droplets fully. The droplets are spewing out of the loose sides and top. So that is one problem with that study right there. Its measuring a direct line from point A to B.
    60% less effective doesn't mean that they are not effective. They remain effective, just considerably less so.

Meaning that if given the choice between "no mask" and "loose bandana", everyone should be choosing "loose bandana" as it affords more protection than nothing at all. It doesn't "block nothing" as you asserted.

So yes, it is true. Because with a loose fit, its still spewing out of the massive holes. Sure, it'll block some of the droplets going straight, but not the ones flying out the sides. Its like anything else under pressure, It finds any gap to get free from.
    Again, I'm going with the conclusion of medical experts and multiple studies. Face coverings, even loose fitting bandana's, remain better than going around uncovered and afford protections for you and those around you, even if they're a less effective method than tighter fitting alternatives.

The problem in the US isn't that people are wearing bandanas, it's that they're not wearing masks at all.

So in Latvia we went from 0-1 cases per day to 7, 7, 13. Not all are traced, one is a returning tourist -.- Tomorrow goverment is gonna think about returning some of the restrictions.
    FFS, humans, FFS...

And we are 2nd amongst OECD countries in regards to controlling the pandemic, Lithuania and Estonia are 4th and 5th, South Korea - 1st. I wonder how long it will last, other two Baltic states also are reporting increases. Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-ne...arc-van-ranst/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889%E...0_flu_pandemic

Could this be true? If it is, sars-cov-2 might follow a similar pattern and become less virulent, becoming just another cold virus in the next couple of years, lets hope so.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/alab...-eat-them.html

In which an Alabama jail refuses to provide any kind of masks to inmates, and has unmasked guards, because...

“You give them face masks (with) a nose piece — metal pieces in them — they’re going to eat them,” he said. “They’re going to swallow them.”

If that happened, Patterson said, the public would question why inmates were given potentially dangerous weapons — face masks.
    America is a country incapable of dealing with a pandemic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-ne...arc-van-ranst/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889%E...0_flu_pandemic

Could this be true? If it is, sars-cov-2 might follow a similar pattern and become less virulent, becoming just another cold virus in the next couple of years, lets hope so.
    Could just be that the influenza and coronavirus strains were active at the same time like we say at the onset of COVID19 and might see again this winter.

The thing with SARS-CoV-2 is that that is has no need to become less lethal at the present moment.

It has issue being transmitted and thus has no reason to modify itself. COVID19 would actually need to slow down before it starts to adapt to becoming more infectious while being less lethal.

In a way its already the product of adaption. SARS and MERS were nastier but essentially fizzled out because weren't transmitted as easily. SARS-CoV-2 on the other hand is infectious as well as being deadly. Viruses don't exactly 'aim' to kill. Right now it's fine being its overactive self, especially if reproduces at a well enough rate before it even starts to kill its hosts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

America is a country incapable of dealing with a pandemic.
    No, just insanely cruel and selfish.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    No, just insanely cruel and selfish.
    Potayto. Potahto. I don't see much of a difference between those two assessments : P

As deaths start to rise in the US, i'm kind of curious what the next excuse will be. For a while it was "well, case numbers are up but deaths are down" and i honestly am just curious what mental gymnastics will be pulled next.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    As deaths start to rise in the US, i'm kind of curious what the next excuse will be. For a while it was "well, case numbers are up but deaths are down" and i honestly am just curious what mental gymnastics will be pulled next.
    This is how:
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1281297572821372933

It's just people decided that this is the time to massively go to hospitals to do elective surgeries. Surely, why would you not trust her?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    This is how:
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1281297572821372933

It's just people decided that this is the time to massively go to hospitals to do elective surgeries. Surely, why would you not trust her?!
    Oh boy... “If it’s safe to bring kids back to school, is it safe to bring Manafort back to jail?”
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://www.sacbee.com/article244053467.html

A Northern California sheriff’s office has made face masks optional for most deputies countywide, according to a June 23 memo obtained by The Sacramento Bee.

Tehama County Sheriff Dave Hencratt wrote in the memo that face masks could jeopardize officer safety and cause “extreme peril” for officers in the line of duty.

They could fog up glasses, he wrote. They could keep wearers from tasting or smelling chemicals, he warned. If they’re worn for a long time, Hencratt wrote that face masks could cause “anxiety” and “claustrophobic reactions” among deputies.

He also wrote that masks could interfere with an officer’s “command presence.”
    In which a Northern California sheriff's office says their deputies are too much of a little fuckin bitch to wear masks to protect themselves, their families, and the people they deal with on a daily basis.

As an American, I want to know when the fuck we got so fucking soft and fluffy as a nation?

dont take your kids to school.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    To play devils advocate here, you touch your mask, touch the packaging to look at it, then put it back. As you said, everything else should be washed.

However, did you wash your hands after touching that packaging? Those same steps also apply in reverse. You touch the package to look at it, maybe to see the ingredients or what flavor it is. You set it down and then you touch your face. Unknown to you, someone who was sick had touched that package before you. Add to that that the virus can last between hours and days on most surfaces, and you have a big problem.

Or, lets say you don't touch your face. You know better than to do that. While you're shopping, you check your phone for the time, or you touched your wallet to get money out. Now your wallet or phone are potential carriers of the disease. One of which you Will put up to your uncovered face.

People need to realize just how far cross contamination can go.

- - - Updated - - -

If their loose fitting, their 60% less effective since at that point, they are not blocking droplets fully. The droplets are spewing out of the loose sides and top. So that is one problem with that study right there. Its measuring a direct line from point A to B.

So yes, it is true. Because with a loose fit, its still spewing out of the massive holes. Sure, it'll block some of the droplets going straight, but not the ones flying out the sides. Its like anything else under pressure, It finds any gap to get free from.

This is the type of information im talking about. People are so concerned with straight in front that they don't realize that the bandana is useless since the virus just flies right on out all over the gaps. That is why a tight fit is key.
    The probability of contracting COVID19 from a surface is low. The virus can be detected on surfaces but in quantities sufficient to infect. A bigger danger would be the potential aerosol the object - hence the importance of masks. Still was your hands, don't touch your face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    The saddest thing about the deaths is days before you hear deniers say 'well less people are dying this spike' and 'well numbers after X event aren't up' as if we don't already know the timeline of events with this virus.

Positive text don't really start coming in until 5 days after infections, when people start to feel sick. Deaths don't happen until the following week. Just as states started to spike 1-2 weeks ago, ICU beds are filling now. And we already knew it would be like this because the same thing happened in March.

In which a Northern California sheriff's office says their deputies are too much of a little fuckin bitch to wear masks to protect themselves, their families, and the people they deal with on a daily basis.

As an American, I want to know when the fuck we got so fucking soft and fluffy as a nation?
    After WW2 the generations grew up to nothing but a constant chant of how America is the greatest nation ever. Combined with a steady increase in living conditions and the eliminations of basic hardship (for many, not all) leads to this.
    A situation where not being able to buy a frappuccino is the biggest catastrophe someone can experience.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    dont take your kids to school.
    That's what some Florida county superintendents are suggesting. The state might force them to 'open' but there ways around like saying teachers won't be teaching from the classes, classrooms aren't suitable for whatever reason, teachers don't have to be present if material is online, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

10lbs of tactical gear to conduct traffic stops - no problem chief.

A 0.5 mask over their face - no can do.

Give the ski mask with filtered inserts, bet they will wear those.

No surprise here. No need for anyone to Fuck Florida, they are doing a great job of it themselves DeSantis for the loss.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...YWH?li=BBnb7Kz

Title: 'The curve is no longer flat': Nearly half of Florida's ICUs are at least 90% full

Excerpts:

Nearly half of Florida's intensive-care units are at least 90% full, and more than 1 in 5 are completely full, according to state data.
    A total of 95 hospital ICUs were at least 90% full Thursday, according to the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. That's nearly half the 207 ICUs that the agency is tracking. At least 45 hospital ICUs were at capacity, and 46 others had only one bed available in the units.
    Some hospitals are scaling back elective surgeries and taking other measures to make sure enough beds are available to treat COVID-19 patients.

“This is a necessary action we must take to keep our hospitals from being overrun and for the overall well-being of our community," Larry Antonucci, CEO of Southwest Florida’s Lee Health hospital system, said Thursday as he announced that elective surgeries will be reduced, based on a daily review of patient volumes.
    "At our current rate, Lee Health hospitals will be completely full by the end of the month. We must act now to reduce the spread of the coronavirus," Antonucci said. "Three months ago, everyone joined in a shared goal of flattening the curve, which was temporarily accomplished ... the curve is no longer flat, instead we have a spike in cases and the spike is growing fast."
    And, oh yeah, Disney World opens this weekend.

The fake dishonest numbers that they have been publishing will be much harder to hide going forward. Florida is not going to be a good state to live in for quite a while. The longer they take to take very strong action against the virus, the worse it will ultimately be.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/louisi...-nazi-germany/

Pointless, performatic political art continues.

Louisiana State lawmaker decided to try to score some "culture war" points by destroying facemasks with blowtorches and chainsaws on video because...I don't know, I guess he's a fucking retard. Oh, and he said this -

People who don’t wear a mask will be soon painted as the enemy — just as they did the Jews in Nazi Germany. Now is the time to push back before it’s too late,” he said.
    What the fuck is wrong with people that they think being asked to wear a fucking facemask is akin to literally being rounded up, stuffed into trains, starved and tortured, forced into slave labor, and fucking murdered as a part of a plan of genocide.

Again. America is not fucking capable of beating a pandemic, and all the flaws of an ignorant, uneducated populace electing their leaders are coming into the spotlight with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    How's Sweden doing these days? The news I hear is not great,but I'd like to hear an insider's perspective.

Also, in case people didn't know how bad this was, Dallas is considering blocking high school (American) football this year. Football banned in Texas. For non-Americans out there, that's like saying "Manchester won't have football".
    Football and all sports were cancelled in most of europe at the start of pandemy in march for around 3 months rofl. Muricans lagging behind badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    Football and all sports were cancelled in most of europe at the start of pandemy in march for around 3 months rofl. Muricans lagging behind badly.
    At least we cancelled basketball, hockey, and baseball. I suspect that football won't happen either. Too many players from too many teams have it, and playing football is a GREAT way to quickly spread the virus among teammates and opponents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    No surprise here. No need for anyone to Fuck Florida, they are doing a great job of it themselves DeSantis for the loss.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...YWH?li=BBnb7Kz

Title: 'The curve is no longer flat': Nearly half of Florida's ICUs are at least 90% full

Excerpts:

And, oh yeah, Disney World opens this weekend.

The fake dishonest numbers that they have been publishing will be much harder to hide going forward. Florida is not going to be a good state to live in for quite a while. The longer they take to take very strong action against the virus, the worse it will ultimately be.
    Universal Studios has been open for a while in a much more densely packed area.

I would like to say it worked out but Florida's numbers don't lie.

And it's all basically for the shareholders at the expense of the workers who are going to have to work harder, be more stressed out, deal with non-compliant guests, while still possibly being laid off (or work knowing their coworkers are laid off).

And let's say Disney can run a tight ship. They are bringing thousands of people into the area, to shops, hotels, and other other establishments that enforce safe practices that same way Disney can.

Know where Orlando's COVID19 cluster was around March? From MCO (Orlando International Airport) leading to the tourists area of Orlando.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    At least we cancelled basketball, hockey, and baseball. I suspect that football won't happen either. Too many players from too many teams have it, and playing football is a GREAT way to quickly spread the virus among teammates and opponents.
    Ivy leagues canceled and I believe the NFL gave players the opinion to sit out without penalty (I just read the headline of that story so it could just be speculation). Big 10 isn't playing non-conference games.

The NFL is going to be tough. Maybe if they cut rosters and opt for shorter games and/or a smaller season. I see players with long contracts being pulled once there's even a rumor of COVID19 spreading through an organization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Ivy leagues canceled and I believe the NFL gave players the opinion to sit out without penalty (I just read the headline of that story so it could just be speculation). Big 10 isn't playing non-conference games.

The NFL is going to be tough. Maybe if they cut rosters and opt for shorter games and/or a smaller season. I see players with long contracts being pulled once there's even a rumor of COVID19 spreading through an organization.
    Shorter season, half to no stadium capacity and maybe larger roster... the big issue right now, is the NFL wants to escrow something like 25% of the revenue and player union is not going along. But... it’s all up in the air... Florida was the go to spot for sports, after the Linda MacMahon funded super pac, paid off the governor... I mean lobbied...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi