Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Can we wind back the clock to a place in the American political narrative where "I don't understand the issue but I'm mad therefore my opinion should be taken seriously" was something that'd get you laughed out of the room, out of curiosity?
    Participation trophies indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Can't, they've all closed their borders to Americans.

Because of CORONAVIRUS - the actual topic of this thread, remember?
    I actually came here with a request to change name of thread to Chinese Wuhan Virus.
    There is so many types of corona virus so the topic name doesn't mean much if we are not discussing the flu i had 15 years ago too.
    Don't blame me for forgetting.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Trump is a great leader, i support what he does. If you don't like it you can move to another country.
    I am not caring what trump did. I don't care.
    Might want to get your crap story straight.

I actually came here with a request to change name of thread to Chinese Wuhan Virus.
    There is so many types of corona virus so the topic name doesn't mean much if we are not discussing the flu i had 15 years ago too.
    Don't blame me for forgetting.
    Covid-19 is specific to this strain of the virus, and has been its official name since it was identified.

The only people who seem to take offense to that are racists. Weird.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-n...rus-rant-video
    Video captured on the Chicago Transit Authority Red Line showed a nurse being attacked by a man, whom witnesses claimed was ranting about the coronavirus.
    Fellow passenger Katrice Hardaway recorded the exchange on her cellphone. The man in the recording stood over the nurse, shouting at him about health care workers and blaming them for the pandemic.
    The nurse supposedly tried to convince the man to leave him alone, with Hardaway hitting the panic button on the train as the situation grew more severe.
    The nurse then stood to defend himself, and the two men struggled against each other for a time.
    Other passengers tried to step between the two men and break off the confrontation, but when the train arrived at a stop, the instigator refused to get off. Instead, the nurse departed with Hardaway following him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Covid-19 is specific to this strain of the virus, and has been its official name since it was identified.

The only people who seem to take offense to that are racists. Weird.
    Covid 19 is the name of the disease caused by the virus called SARS-Cov-2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Losing their source of income, I don't think these businesses can just re-open. They're not temporarily closed, the real estate is up for sale. The business is lost.
    Do you even know how many new small employer business are created a year, on average? 415k.

Do you know how many small employer businesses go under every year, on average? 385k.

A single "For Lease" sign is hardly the sign of the economic apocalypse.

To give an example of the arbitrary nature, JCPenney is on the brink of financial ruin, while Walmart is not. Why? Because Walmart also sells food, and if you happen to be in there for some beef, you can also pick up some apparel or jewelry.
    Nice "arbitrary" example, there. Too bad JCPenny has been struggling for years. Their stock was down almost 95% over the last four years before the US even started dealing with COVID:

That's also 99.2% down from when they peaked back in 2007.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I understand the complications of the sector as I think we can all appreciate people don't go to malls any more, but the point was what precipitated, for example, New York bars to offer Cuomo Chips in order to stay open. Serve food, stay open. No food, no open. So if you serve food you can sell everything else. Kinda unfair and, dare I say it, arbitrary, for other places that have the same merchandise for sale but no food.

It doesn't. And not because "media" have said so. It doesn't because researchers looked at the coronavirus data in the cities where protests happened and the results largely showed that there were no related spikes resulting from the protests.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/saf...coronavirus-us
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola...-blaming-them/
    As I said, somehow protests don't spread the virus, but every other gathering does. As Ted Cruz said, it's a very woke virus.

Because most memorial services are hosted indoors, not outdoors as the protests were.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...icago/2253006/

Because there have been confirmed cases of massive spread coming out of funerals and other similar gatherings.

Being frustrated and angry is more the result of not being informed and being confused. Be inquisitive. Be curious. Research and learn something and you'll be less frustrated and angry.
    Funerals were banned wholesale in Washington state, not just indoor.

https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/de...ce=govdelivery

Here's the bottom line: There's a belief in the protest movement, so there have been some, shall we say, concessions made for them. Even medical professionals signed off on the idea that it's really important, so it's okay. Then we see these reports that it's actually fine. We don't know, apparently, but I think we do. The virus doesn't care how righteous your cause is.

I find it beyond credulity that the general public buys into this wild idea that many non-mask wearing protesters bumping shoulders with each other doesn't spread the virus, but people walking around in a supermarket without a mask are literally killing people, but we will see.

We see these videos of them dancing in the streets together in protest for anti-racism, and it's applauded. But if a lady refuses to wear a mask in a Trader Joe's she's an entitled murderer. I don't see this entire thing being sustainable.

Singing praises to Jesus has become an act of civil disobedience, but widespread destruction in the streets is applauded and safe. I have faith that people, even if not vocally, realize what an outrageous thing it all is.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2020-07-26 at 05:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, somehow protests don't spread the virus, but every other gathering does.
    No, protests by morons (e.g. anti-mask people) spread the virus.

Protests by rational people (who are mostly wearing masks) don't spread the virus.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the complications of the sector as I think we can all appreciate people don't go to malls any more, but the point was what precipitated, for example, New York bars to offer Cuomo Chips in order to stay open. Serve food, stay open. No food, no open. So if you serve food you can sell everything else. Kinda unfair and, dare I say it, arbitrary, for other places that have the same merchandise for sale but no food.
    So businesses that adapted and offered essential services were rewarded?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    So businesses that adapted and offered essential services were rewarded?
    I think many places have had to adapt. My church has the space to offer outdoor worship. But churches that only have the space for their building, I guess they can't offer breakfast for the homeless, which sustained me in 2004-2006. Can't offer worship to God. Can't offer support and salvation. It's outrageous.

I think many places have had to adapt. My church has the space to offer outdoor worship. But churches that only have the space for their building, I guess they can't offer breakfast for the homeless, which sustained me in 2004-2006. Can't offer worship to God. Can't offer support and salvation. It's outrageous.
    wait when did u become super religious, is this a new trolling tactic?

10+ Year Old Account

But funerals were never actually banned. Per your own link, they were open, though limited to family members only, while the full shutdown was on.

And since then, every county has moved on from the old Phase 1, so now funerals are 25% capacity up to 100 people, maintaining distancing.

- - - Updated - - -

None of that is contingent upon physical indoor space in a church.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Question to my biologists.

Would antibodies show up if someone was exposed to the virus, maybe once or over a time period, but never exposed enough to contract the disease. Does it work like that?
    Antibodies for specific viruses are made by the body when it detects infections in the body, so I would say no, I don't think you would have antibodies unless you had contracted the virus (unless you're a baby born to an infected mother in the past several months, perhaps).

I don't get how blaming JCP's fall on them not having a food court has anything to do with places that serve food being open in NY right now.

As I said, somehow protests don't spread the virus, but every other gathering does. As Ted Cruz said, it's a very woke virus.
    Then Ted Cruz, and you if you believe him, are literally politicizing data. That's what the data says, and we don't have any real evidence to suggest otherwise. It may not make immediate sense on its face, but it's reality. But y'all still seem really salty about it for some reason.

Not actually banned, but limited to immediate family only. This appears to be a blanket order rather than one targeting only indoor services, but given that this was the time when there was a helluva lot still unknown about the virus and it was getting bad in Washington with 500ish new cases a day it makes sense extreme measures were taken.

Here's the bottom line: There's a belief in the protest movement, so there have been some, shall we say, concessions made for them. Even medical professionals signed off on the idea that it's really important, so it's okay. Then we see these reports that it's actually fine. We don't know, apparently, but I think we do. The virus doesn't care how righteous your cause is.
    We don't know 100%, you're right. But that's a bullshit way to cast doubt on the fact that it's what the current data tells us and we don't have data to suggest otherwise. Even the full article is packed with repeated examples of the data showing that the protests did not lead to spikes.

I find it beyond credulity that the general public buys into this wild idea that many non-mask wearing protesters bumping shoulders with each other doesn't spread the virus, but people walking around in a supermarket without a mask are literally killing people, but we will see.
    If you've watched any of the protests, you'll have seen that the vast majority of people are indeed wearing masks. That's also one of the reasons we have so many videos of cops pulling down peoples masks to pepper spray them in the face.

Additionally, think of it. Who's showing up to these protests? Liberal folks. Folks who are also more likely to be observing social distancing and wearing masks in their every day lives, folks who are more like to be staying at home and avoiding additional contact. It's demographically more likely a lower risk group, but I don't have any data to back that up so if you disagree that's fine.

We see these videos of them dancing in the streets together in protest for anti-racism, and it's applauded. But if a lady refuses to wear a mask in a Trader Joe's she's an entitled murderer. I don't see this entire thing being sustainable.
    Protesting in the streets against racism? Yeah, that's praiseworthy. Even under the circumstances. Though let it be known the health risk of the protests has been a topic of discussion from the very start, it's not something that's ever been glossed over.

The difference is that you do not have a Constitutional right to enter a private businesses if you do not abide by their rules for entry. You're setting up a false parallel here. She's not an "entitled murderer", that's rank hyperbole and you know it. But when she, or he, get uppity about it and throw a public temper tantrum, you're damn right that people are going to mock and ridicule them for acting like entitled children.

Singing praises to Jesus has become an act of civil disobedience
    It is most absolutely not. You are more than welcome to sing His praise from your own home all you want. Christians are not being persecuted. This is a restriction placed on all places of worship, which were the last places that singing was allowed as other places like bars and concert venues had been closed if my memory is serving me. It was done as all the data shows that singing absolutely is one of the easiest ways to spread the virus, and should one member of a choir have it they risk infecting the entire congregation. I am sorry the state is inconveniencing you in an effort to save lives, but I assure you that you are free to sing Jesus praise any time you feel like it at home, in your car, or on your patio.

but widespread destruction in the streets is applauded and safe.
    Nobody has defended, supported, or applauded destruction. The violence and destruction has rightfully been condemned time and time again, I don't know why you would post something so incorrect.

I have faith that people, even if not vocally, realize what an outrageous thing it all is.
    America is being asked to be mildly inconvenienced (make sacrifices) for the sake of the nation. To save lives. To protect the economy in the long term, even if it suffers in the short term. To place their neighbor above themselves. And I hate to say it, but we ain't fuckin showing the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Might want to get your crap story straight.
    Think it this way.
    You witness a rape and you do nothing. Don't yell, don't try to prevent or don't call cops. Just sit there and watch.
    That means i am supporting what he does and also waiting him to finish so we can take turns maybe.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-07-26 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Trolling

15+ Year Old Account
    What is this new Jesus jist of yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Question to my biologists.

Would antibodies show up if someone was exposed to the virus, maybe once or over a time period, but never exposed enough to contract the disease. Does it work like that?
    Sometimes it sort of does.

You can develop anti-bodies after having such a light infection that you don't feel that you have had the disease (or had mild symptoms like feeling a bit tired one day), and also without having positive PCR-tests. Technically you were still almost certainly infected (as some cells in your body were infected), but did you have the disease?

You might also fail to develop anti-bodies (in measurable quantities) after having a mild disease - but it seems you might still have T-cell immunity. Some argue that you might also be somewhat protected by anti-bodies for other corona-viruses (that cause the common cold); and possibly that some were protected by weaker predecessors of Sars-Cov-2.

Note that anti-bodies have evolved to be highly variable to handle different infections, and even evolved to evolve during infections. But they are still not a perfect fit - just good enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Covid 19 is the name of the disease caused by the virus called SARS-Cov-2.
    Just wanted to say that this is correct. It's similar to AIDS (disease) and HIV (virus).

Regarding the name SARS-Cov-2, it did have some unofficial names at first, and WHO used the preliminary name '2019 novel coronavirus' (or 2019-nCov) in January (at least early as January 12th - WHO says the virus was isolated January 7th), and it first got the name SARS-Cov-2 on February 11th (by International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses; of course there is a committee for that). The name ncov is still used by nextstrain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What is this new Jesus jist of yours?
    Better yet, why can't he pray at home? Why does he need to go to a church to offer worship? I mean, even Jesus said you should pray in private.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Sometimes it sort of does.

You can develop anti-bodies after having such a light infection that you don't feel that you have had the disease (or had mild symptoms like feeling a bit tired one day), and also without having positive PCR-tests. Technically you were still almost certainly infected (as some cells in your body were infected), but did you have the disease?

You might also fail to develop anti-bodies (in measurable quantities) after having a mild disease - but it seems you might still have T-cell immunity. Some argue that you might also be somewhat protected by anti-bodies for other corona-viruses (that cause the common cold); and possibly that some were protected by weaker predecessors of Sars-Cov-2.

Note that anti-bodies have evolved to be highly variable to handle different infections, and even evolved to evolve during infections. But they are still not a perfect fit - just good enough.
    Interesting.

I work in LTC and people get tested for exposure/potentially contracting COVID19 all the the time. The test agency will suggest antibody tests and we never got an answer as to why/couldnt figure it out.

Best guest we came up with they are checking to see if antibodies could show up if you've had mild exposure without developing the active disease. *Knock on wood* it's a bit of a miracle none of use who reside in semi-hot bed in FL have tested positive for COVID19 even though it is *close*.

At this stage in the game a mild case might have run through the community while people thought it was 'allergies". There's some back tracking that might alluded to many people being exposed but almost no one contracting COVID19 (symptoms I guess) due to following preventative measures.

Resident Cosplay Progressive