The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Congress has not done it's job. Which is exactly what I said.
    The Senate has not done it's job - the House has passed over 400 pieces of legislation this year, including two new Coronavirus relief bills. Remind us again where the Senate is right now? Oh yeah, in recess until September.

When you spout your ridiculous ignorance, just know it's going to get trumped by facts.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-08-16 at 03:57 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Again, that reading comprehension bites you in the ass <..>
    Your lies repeating how I said the opposite of what I actually said are becoming stale and boring, so I'll skip to interesting parts.

The world as a whole has not peaked.
    You'll have to commit to one of interpretations of your "2.6% decrease isn't a decrease" statement:
    • 2.6% decrease is decrease, then we had a peak in late July, followed by short decrease then short increase (so far).
    • 2.6% decrease is not decrease, then 2.7% is not an increase, they cancel out and we're flat since late July.
    • 2.6% decrease is actually something different! an increase, maybe?

Also, say no to drugs gaslighting. There can be multiple peaks. And we'll have to ask Yadryonych for confirmation, but the wording "What makes you think the current peak is the final one?" suggests he disagrees with you.

Anyway I learned my lesson when on Friday morning 12/8 was "the new peak" followed by decrease on 13/8, but by Friday evening they lowered 12/8 by 1k cases and it was lower than 13/8. I'll discuss shapes in a week or two, it's too early to say now.

There is no 3% "soft cap".
    Yeah, also there are no stones in the sky, said actual distinguished scientists in their official report to the French Academy of Sciences.

I found another outlier, Miami-Dade county at ~5%, but I don't know if they count people visiting Miami in this number, driving it up. Entire 3-county Miami area is at 4% because of that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't a peak have a steep rise and a steep decline?
    Otherwise it would just be flat....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Your lies repeating how I said the opposite of what I actually said are becoming stale and boring...
    You've relentlessly argued an entirely incorrect interpretation because you have no real defense of your position. It's good to see you admit defeat on this red herring, though you're still left with the same nothing in actual defense of your position.

You'll have to commit to one of interpretations of your "2.6% decrease isn't a decrease" statement...
    Womp womp. Looks like another one of your reading comprehension failures. Your sad strawman argument is meaningless in light of the fact that I made no such statement. I mean, I literally just said:
    I never said it wasn't a decrease, only that that level of decrease didn't constitute demonstrative evidence of a peak.
    ...and the original quote in question is:
    On a timeline measuring over a half of a year, a 2.3% drop over 8 days is not statistically demonstrative... yet.
    ...and I also said this:
    ...you're convinced that after a week of minor decrease (immediately following a 10 day surge) means that those numbers can't possibly go any higher.
    ...and this:
    Which is why you don't claim that it's peaked based on a small decrease in a small period of time.
    So you're just making things up... again... to push your failed position.

There can be multiple peaks.
    Lol, no, sorry, there's only one peak per wave.

Anyway I learned my lesson when on Friday morning 12/8 was "the new peak" followed by decrease on 13/8, but by Friday evening they lowered 12/8 by 1k cases and it was lower than 13/8. I'll discuss shapes in a week or two, it's too early to say now.
    Earlier you were ready to start celebrating after a few days of decrease. It's good that you're starting to learn a little bit of patience. Perhaps next time you won't make such ridiculously unwarranted declarations.

Yeah, also there are no stones in the sky, said actual distinguished scientists in their official report to the French Academy of Sciences.
    And yet that statement was made in the face of copious evidence of the existence of meteorites.

You, on the other hand, have absolutely zero evidence to support your assertion. On the contrary, there's ample evidence that your assertion is false. That makes you more like one of those flat-Earthers.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Doesn't a peak have a steep rise and a steep decline?
    Mathematically speaking? No, not really. Any slope in the graph will do actually.

A peak would simply be an extreme value (aka maximum/minimum) of any function.

@ PhaelixWW & Cynep: you two should get a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Trump has a lot of power over their negotiations since he is 1 part of the cog, and you need all 3 to work. They cannot waste time or money sending him countless bills that they know will be vetoed before it even hits the desk.
    True, but there are additional factors.
    Being seen as being the one person blocking a relief bill looks bad, whereas it's less clear who to blame at the moment - so I'm sure that if democrats had the votes they would have sent Trump a bill even if it would be vetoed.

Similarly Trump's relief EO is likely partially unconstitutional (the parts that aren't meaningless) - but by challenging it in court you would be seen as blocking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    In other news, Seems their finally getting smart about the masks. Now they are realizing that certain masks are useless. Well duh. I've been saying that since day 1. When you put a mandate out there and don't have any real regulations on what type of mask is used, you're going to get idiots using whatever just to fulfill the requirement. Regardless of if it even works.
    I would guess it's worse and they actively select the masks that don't work.

The reason is that bad masks are often bad because they don't block air as much (i.e., lower pressure differential) - and thus people find them easier to use.

Yes both sides are terrible, and prefer to fund the our bloated military over economic or medical aid. They voted to against a cut that would actually help people in the middle of a pandemic.
    Please save your fire for after not only the election, but even after the inauguration should Biden win. Here is what we are up against otherwise:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marking-e...023633006.html

Title: ‘We are marking the end of the pandemic.’ Broward anti-mask protest draws about 100

Two comments: FUCK FLORIDA, and at least this could only get 100 people to attend. On the other hand there apparently three similar marches around the state. And oh yeah, the difference between Trump supporters and non Trump supporters is HUGE. They are now in a suicidal frame of mind with the intention of bringing the country down with them.

Excerpts:

Nearly 100 Floridians marched down the streets of Fort Lauderdale waving “Trump 2020” flags and demanding Gov. Ron DeSantis put an end to the State of Emergency caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic.

“We are absolutely done with these ridiculous mask policies,” march organizer Chris Nelson said. “We have decided on our own that masks are not the way to fight this ....”

Not wearing masks, the protesters chanted “we will not comply,” “take off the mask” and “no more masks.” The protesters ranged from young adults to the elderly.
    One of pictures of the protest show cases a young women waving a FIRE FAUCI sign.

Two other marches took place in Naples and DeLand.
    Just pointing out that although there were only about 100 here, there were also 2 other marches around the state:

“Today, we are marking the end of the pandemic, if you want to call it that,” Nelson said. “We are absolutely over this. Over the last five months regular, ordinary people have been subjected to the worst government overreach and constitutional violations in all of American history.”
    I don't even know how to respond to this. These people are nuts, delusional, and also very dangerous, not only to themselves, but to the rest of the United States.

The group also wants to see mask policies around the state done away with.

“We are not saying COVID-19 is not real, but what we are saying today is that it is time to get on with our lives,” Nelson said.
    The actions these people are taking maximize the odds that we WON'T be able to get on with our lives. At least not like it used to be. Their actions maximize the spread of the virus, maximize how many people get the virus, and maximize how many Americans DIE from the virus.

The problem is not just Trump. His supporters are just plain toxic. They absolutely must be defeated.

Jettisawn, you make a lot of good points. Fight your battle when it's the right time. That time is not now.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-08-16 at 11:13 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    @ PhaelixWW & Cynep: you two should get a room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    A hundred pages ago. But hey, this is MMOChamp.
    Yeah remembering how PhaelixWW had a similar thing with Forogil a few months back, I'll take a short break now No 42k posts for me
    So far the data supports my claim, we'll see in a week or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/marking-e...023633006.html

Title: ‘We are marking the end of the pandemic.’ Broward anti-mask protest draws about 100
    Wow. Broward county is right next to Miami-Dade, the worst hotspot in USA now, and people protest against masks there? You live in fun times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Pretty sure today we saw a new world record for daily infections.
    The WHO says 294,237 cases have been recorded in 24 hours
    What was that about world having peaked already? Maybe you wanna take a break from all that posting and reevaluate things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Two comments: FUCK FLORIDA, and at least this could only get 100 people to attend. On the other hand there apparently three similar marches around the state. And oh yeah, the difference between Trump supporters and non Trump supporters is HUGE. They are now in a suicidal frame of mind with the intention of bringing the country down with them.
    These people exist everywhere, including countries which handled covid well.

The reason you can't cope with covid is you people vote against candidates who support universal healthcare. You are just as bad as the Trump supporters. You deserve everything you get.

The reason you can't cope with covid is you people vote against candidates who support universal healthcare. You are just as bad as the Trump supporters. You deserve everything you get.

I really am fucking sick of hearing corporate democrat shills whine about a pandemic they helped perpetuate as much as the Republicans did, and coming up with some self-serving bullshit reason why they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoadwump View Post

lol what in the world does covid have to do with universal healthcare?

Universal healthcare would not make people wear mask, social distance....take the virus serious.

Last time i checked both Hillary and Biden support the path to universal healthcare.
    Might take a while to get there but its not like Medicare was overnight.

T

I really am fucking sick of hearing corporate democrat shills whine about a pandemic they helped perpetuate as much as the Republicans did, and coming up with some self-serving bullshit reason why they are better.
    "as much"

last time i looked next to no one on the democratic side called this virus "fake" or a "republican plot to overthrow the president".
    You really have your head in the sand if you think its anywhere near "as much"
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol what in the world does covid have to do with universal healthcare?
    There are some who make a case that they are connected:
    https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200310.html
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ronavirus-care

And, of course, the obvious issue that health-care tied to employment is a bit of a problem when millions become unemployed. Note that it may be that people are in fact insured anyway for this - but don't understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far the data supports my claim, we'll see in a week or so.
    No, it really doesn't.

The reason you can't cope with covid is you people vote against candidates who support universal healthcare. You are just as bad as the Trump supporters.
    What absolute BS. First, Democrats have consistently supported universal healthcare, while Republicans have opposed:

You deserve everything you get.
    Anybody who thinks that people who have done nothing wrong somehow deserve a pandemic is a blatant sociopath.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Pretty sure today we saw a new world record for daily infections.

"The WHO says 294,237 cases have been recorded in 24 hours"
    That's a different statistics compared to what was previously discussed, it's available at https://covid19.who.int/ and it is in fact not the largest value there, as August 1st had 297,239. There were some issues last week that gave an even lower value.
    (I don't know why values peak on Saturdays; it's obviously something to do with the reporting for weekdays/holidays etc.)

I don't know if we will see much higher values in the future - but I find the precision ridiculous.
    A conservative estimate would be that there are at least a million new cases today, a less conservative turns that into millions.

The future rise depends on how much testing India and Brazil can do, and whether Europe will have a 2nd peak and US a 3rd peak (and of course whether it re-surfaces in China). The disease will also go through lots of other countries - but many of them lack the testing capacity to matter.

Added:
    You can switch WHO's numbers to weekly and it then seems that the highest weekly number was around July 27th; and one can then see that the region that is currently increasing is South-East Asia (primarily India).

For the 7-day average at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries it was highest Aug. 14th, and seems to have slightly decreased the 15th, and we will soon see the numbers for the 16th. (Assuming there are no retroactive changes.)
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-08-16 at 09:57 PM. Reason: More meaningless statistics.

10+ Year Old Account
    What absolute BS. First, Democrats have consistently supported universal healthcare, while Republicans have opposed:
    From an outsiders PoV, America would seem to be a lot better off if they'd just nuke their republicans. These backwater, overly conservative people seem to hold you back at every opportunity they get.

10+ Year Old Account
    80% of Packer season ticket holders, have taken advantage of the Covid opt out:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ers-opted-out/
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes both sides are terrible, and prefer to fund the our bloated military over economic or medical aid. They voted to against a cut that would actually help people in the middle of a pandemic.
    The house has a bill and it is waiting on the senate.

Compromise is bad, so this is all on the senate.

Why do you bring unrelated bills into this? The house can’t force the senate to vote.

Even if the bill was everything you wanted, it would still be stuck waiting for the senate. The house can’t force the senate to vote.

You are either ignorant of how the government actually works, or you’re throwing a temper tantrum AGAIN.

Either way, since you are acting like and/or have the intellect of a child, you will be treated as such.

Here is a child’s explanation as to how bills become law:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2020-08-16 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    From an outsiders PoV, America would seem to be a lot better off if they'd just nuke their republicans. These backwater, overly conservative people seem to hold you back at every opportunity they get.
    It's really fun living in a red state where like 4 or 5 counties (the ones that have big populations and actually do things for the state) vote blue year after year yet all the others with the rednecks who still live like its 1849 vote red, it's so frustrating.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hey genius. The two version one amendment and the other companion bills I was referring too was voted on, and half of Democrats voted against it in the Senate, and even larger majority in House.

I know what the fuck I am talking about. Yet it isn't " both side", its only team red. Because Team Red Bad. Team Blue Good.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress...e-in-congress/

How about you take two seconds to actually learn something for yourself before you act like you have any damn clue what the fuck you are talking about.
    Hey child, You’re still wrong. Or you’re in the wrong ThreAd complaining about a defense bill in the coronavirus thread.

Stop trolling and forcing off topic conversation.

The house cannot force the senate to take up a vote.

Get help, stop throwing tantrums, and stop whining, child.

Compromise is bad, and they can’t put a coronavirus section in a defense bill. That’s compromising. Why are you so hypocritical?

Pretty rich to complain about factonism coming from someone who says comprise is evil.

Go whine elsewhere, child.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-08-17 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Minor Trolling