Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    How are they going to do that when they will be feeling the fallout for decades? That's like saying you won't think about losing your legs when walking with prosthetics. I know people are sick of it but it will always be on the back of your head.
    I agree with this. Wishing the virus away is not, and never will, work. The virus has a long ways to go, it has already changed things a LOT throughout the world, and due to US corruption and incompetence it is changing the US even more than other countries.

We can willfully force ourselves to just forget about it - FUCK THE VIRUS as we say in the US. But this is a very ineffective pandemic combat strategy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It may very well prove catastrophic to nations that can't afford to provide yearly booster shots to their population.
    Oh yes, catastrophic. The sky will fall on Donetsk People's Republic, among other impoverished countries. The quote above is yet another proof that you're a card-carrying fearmonger and doomsayer.

the contortions that you have to twist yourself into to try and even pretend like your statement a month ago was correct is just embarrassing.
    Don't make even more embarrasment of yourself. What I said in August was 100% true in August and still not outdated today. I never claimed it was the only, or the last peak. I said fewer people were infected because of that peak, and you didn't like that good things happen - that's how you started this... feud.

If the rate had peaked, then it would never reach that mark again and would be on a relative downhill slope (with possible small fluctuations) the rest of the way.
    Should've said this in the August instead of your "over" comedy nonsense.

This started because I illustrated data that is contradictory to your weird assertions.
    "This started", what started with your pic, lol? You illustrated that if one chooses to ignore enough facts, they will find whatever pattern they wish. Your pic shows that if you remove countries that don't grow, sum of countries that do grow will show growth, duh. You proud of that ?!

Wow, such an impressive strawman you've built. The last time I, at least, mentioned Trump was back in June.
    I wasn't talking to you, learn to read forums. As Russians say though, "hat is burning on the thief".
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ccine-1061032/

If only the rest of the current US federal government would get with the fuckin program. Maybe we should start taking the approach a small community in Indonesia did. 8 folks caught without masks, their punishment was to dig graves for victims - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/5811986002/

All we'd need is everyone in America to suck it up for 2 months straight and we could have a good chance of getting this shit under some sort of control, assuming that everyone didn't immediately start packing bars afterwards. But this is too great an ask for many people, like the Floridians that decided to host a maskless "parade" in Target because they're morons - https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak..._wearyourmask/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I was referring to the virus, not to what happens right now. The current events surely will end up in the history books and economic fallout alone will keep us busy for many years.

If there is a vaccine and yearly numbers end up being similar to the flu, yes: people will no longer think about it.
    Just like people never talk about the Spanish flu? Just like we don’t have a yearly vaccine rush and scrutiny with the flu? By the way, the deadliest stretch for the Spanish flu, was the fall. We just started the Covid version...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    How are they going to do that when they will be feeling the fallout for decades? That's like saying you won't think about losing your legs when walking with prosthetics. I know people are sick of it but it will always be on the back of your head.
    You'd be surprised how good people are at returning to their ways if the immediate danger is past. Just look at what happened in Israel.
    So yes: most people won't give it much thought once this whole pandemic is dealt with. They maybe think about it once per year when deciding whether to get vaccinated or not and that was it.

Obviously, people that suffered severe personal losses will take longer to recoup but most of us are not that heavily affected.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    There was a reason that the Big 10 and PAC 12 were going to postpone their seasons, but apparently not now.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ed-coronavirus

I think the last time I saw in Alabama back in August the 29th, the University of Alabama had 1200 cases, which is a lot for some place that has 40,000 students. The last time they updated their cases was 4 days ago, apparently it is almost 2400 cases now. https://uasystem.edu/covid-19-dashboard/

It is going to get worse, and now you have to worry about these athletes now having permanent organ damage from this, since it can effect lungs and heart permanently.
    these MEGA sports programs showed long ago they don't give two shits about the health of their players and now the health of their fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Trump is literally defunding social security, as part of his economic recovery plan. If Trump follows through with his payroll tax cut being permanent, we will lose social security by 2023 and covid will be blamed.

This is going to be your 9/11, millennials and zoomers. You are going to be telling your grand kids about how life was before covid... Just like Gen X talks about life before 9/11.
    well we won't lose SS right away, it will just be unable to pay out 100% of the benefits. The law will automatically kick in lowering benefits as they continue to not have enough money to cover them.

boomers will suck the life out of it before they die leaving nothing for the rest of us.

They have been a plague on this country for decades, why is this a shock to anyone?

This was dumb when obama did it but at least he was smart enough to know he could not make it permanent
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Trump is literally defunding social security, as part of his economic recovery plan. If Trump follows through with his payroll tax cut being permanent, we will lose social security by 2023 and covid will be blamed.

This is going to be your 9/11, millennials and zoomers. You are going to be telling your grand kids about how life was before covid... Just like Gen X talks about life before 9/11.
    We were around for 9/11.

HEY guys don't worry the vaccine will be FREE just like they promised testing was going to be...oh...wait...well....hmm that 149.00 bill i have how, who....ummm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...9-vaccine.html

White House says coronavirus vaccines will ship within 24 HOURS of FDA approval as it unveils 'playbook' to start giving FREE coronavirus immunizations to all Americans by January
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You'd be surprised how good people are at returning to their ways if the immediate danger is past. Just look at what happened in Israel.
    So yes: most people won't give it much thought once this whole pandemic is dealt with. They maybe think about it once per year when deciding whether to get vaccinated or not and that was it.

Obviously, people that suffered severe personal losses will take longer to recoup but most of us are not that heavily affected.
    What part of global economic recession was hard for you to understand? How about the relatives of the people dead or infected? The billions who have lost their jobs? The kids who are graduating in this? We have the highest level of kids living with their parents since the great depression. We are still think about the 2008 financial crisis which this dwarfs.

You obviously don't exist in this reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    HEY guys don't worry the vaccine will be FREE just like they promised testing was going to be...oh...wait...well....hmm that 149.00 bill i have how, who....ummm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...9-vaccine.html

White House says coronavirus vaccines will ship within 24 HOURS of FDA approval as it unveils 'playbook' to start giving FREE coronavirus immunizations to all Americans by January
    This vaccine is DOA most of the population doesn't trust it for one reason or another. Trump has finally gotten the left and the right together on something.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why you test your vaccines folks:

AstraZeneca vaccine causes spinal inflammation in a patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Which is exactly what is being done Unexpected reactions shouldn't be unexpected in any pharmaceutical (if only for etymology's sake; φάρμᾰκον meant, after all, both "remedy" and "poison"), that doesn't mean we should stopping using pharmaceuticals altogether because of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Where did you find the idea that vaccines normally produce a stronger immunity than recovery?

Obviously it can happen, as there are indications that it happens for HPV-vaccines. And it may help if the vaccine is given at the right spot, and the Chinese nasal spray vaccine is thus a good step - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-world-first
    I'm pretty sure that I read it somewhere, but I can't find source now, so feel free to take that statement with a grain of salt. I admit that there are many different types of vaccines, and that they hardly all have the same level of effectiveness.

I would, however, argue that it's at least fairly true that vaccines will have a larger average rate of effectiveness than infection/recovery, simply due to the fact that some people get and recover from a virus with only a light case of infection. Such light cases may often be asymptomatic, or only lightly symptomatic, and they are being shown to produce a weaker immune response. Vaccines should produce a much more standard and average immune response across the board. So if the recovery immunity range is 3 months to 2 years, the vaccine might provide a more predictable immunity response that runs 1 to 1.5 years, perhaps.

Again, those numbers are just guesses, and I can't find the original quote, so if you find a statement that directly contradicts it, please share it.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Which is exactly what is being done Unexpected reactions shouldn't be unexpected in any pharmaceutical (if only for etymology's sake; φάρμᾰκον meant, after all, both "remedy" and "poison"), that doesn't mean we should stopping using pharmaceuticals altogether because of that.
    pretty much. Now, the interesting part of this is how often do these unwanted effects occur and whether they choose to go forward with it regardless (if they deem them rare enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

They paused it, checked it out and found that it was unlikely to have been caused by the vaccine.

So, I can't take the CDC serious anymore. Just watched this video in which the director says something that is completley contradictory to everything we know. He said summarized, starting at 2:55

If a vaccine doesn't give me an immune response, it wont protect me. This mask will
    Im sitting here like, what? They aren't here to protect us. They are here to protect others From us. That is the entire reason why we need most people to wear them. To ensure that even if someone is asymptomatic, they aren't spreading it. Then you also have the CDC say that you don't even need to get tested if you don't show symptoms. Even if you've been near someone who has a confirmed case. The one, single group of people, that we should absolutely be testing the most is the one their saying "nah. Their good".

So, now not only do we have a leader who wont lead during the pandemic, we also have our very own CDC undermining science and every single bit of common sense knowledge we have about how to ensure we keep people from getting sick. What in the literal heck is going on with these people? I get that they don't like that our numbers are so big, but that doesn't mean to hide them. We are already looked at in an unfavorable light thanks to this. The damage is so bad that it can't possibly get worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Oh yes, catastrophic. The sky will fall on Donetsk People's Republic, among other impoverished countries. The quote above is yet another proof that you're a card-carrying fearmonger and doomsayer.
    Go ahead, strawman yourself again, why not. For a country to be faced with full herd immunity instead of successful vaccination would amount to a catastrophic loss of life. But you're the one Chicken Little-ing, here, not I. And nowhere did I mention any specific countries.

DPR isn't even recognized as a country, so I have absolutely no idea whether or not they'd be able to afford the $20-30 million USD or so per year it would cost to immunize everyone in the country. The cost of the Russian vaccine is reportedly around $10-15 USD per dose.

Don't make even more embarrasment of yourself. What I said in August was 100% true in August and still not outdated today. I never claimed it was the only, or the last peak.
    No, your statement was never true, and it sure as heck has been proven wrong many times over by now. And pointing out that you still have no idea what 'peak' actually means? Weird flex, but okay.

I said fewer people were infected because of that peak, and you didn't like that good things happen - that's how you started this... feud.
    Aw, deflection, cute. Still pretending that I'm some kind of sadist? No, sorry. I'd love for good things to happen, and I hate it when people attempt to pass off a lie as truth, as a false sense of security is precisely the thing that will make the situation worse than it already is.

Should've said this in the August instead of your "over" comedy nonsense.
    Hey, what, you're still upset because you can't comprehend basic concepts, despite having them explained to you ad nauseam?

"This started", what started with your pic, lol? You illustrated that if one chooses to ignore enough facts, they will find whatever pattern they wish. Your pic shows that if you remove countries that don't grow, sum of countries that do grow will show growth, duh. You proud of that ?!
    Again, simple concepts just whoosh over your head, I guess. The graphic was to show you that the fluctuations that you're pretending are some sort of "multiple peaks" are completely explained by the temporary fluctuations in those two countries. The graphic also shows extremely clearly that the rest of the world is unfortunately still firmly on the upslope. What's also clear as day to everyone but you, apparently, is that the combined total for the world is also still going up.

You were just suckered into a false statement backed by poor critical thinking. Then you doubled down by failing to just own up to the mistake. And I don't even know what you want to call the subsequent month-long-plus crusade of yours to try and pretend that you weren't just caught making a ridiculous assertion, especially in the face of actual data proving that it was wrong.

I wasn't talking to you, learn to read forums. As Russians say though, "hat is burning on the thief".
    Oh, I'm well aware that you were responding to another person there. And yet, they were saying the same thing I was, and your response was certainly aimed at more than just the poster whose post you quoted. You'll also note my use of the words "I, at least" in my response, so as to not speak for other posters.

And the whole idea that your responses can only be addressed by the person whom you quoted is asinine. Perhaps you should take your own advice regarding forums.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    So, I can't take the CDC serious anymore. Just watched this video in which the director says something that is completley contradictory to everything we know. He said summarized, starting at 2:55

Im sitting here like, what? They aren't here to protect us. They are here to protect others From us. That is the entire reason why we need most people to wear them. To ensure that even if someone is asymptomatic, they aren't spreading it. Then you also have the CDC say that you don't even need to get tested if you don't show symptoms. Even if you've been near someone who has a confirmed case. The one, single group of people, that we should absolutely be testing the most is the one their saying "nah. Their good".

So, now not only do we have a leader who wont lead during the pandemic, we also have our very own CDC undermining science and every single bit of common sense knowledge we have about how to ensure we keep people from getting sick. What in the literal heck is going on with these people? I get that they don't like that our numbers are so big, but that doesn't mean to hide them. We are already looked at in an unfavorable light thanks to this. The damage is so bad that it can't possibly get worse.
    I think you're nitpicking too much there.

A lot of what is publicly said has a meaning. For example masks protecting you is both encouragement to others to use masks and it is also true in case of N95 masks. A message of masks protecting others would be weaker, because a lot of people don't give a damn about some strangers, compared to themselves, which is natural. Would be even worse if they went out public saying masks do not protect you, people would just not put them on then.

Secondly, talking from my country perspective, we do a bit more tests per 1m pop than USA, but just this morning there is a new directive to not test asymptomatic cases anymore for a time being, because the labs are overloaded and this causes the test results to come much later than they should be, which is probably a whole lot of worse, considering people who got tested but do not have response might be doing their usual business out there, while they are already sick and unaware.

Additionally there is a foul play going on with tests, we have a system where cities are color-coded based on positive ratios with "red" cities having automatic restrictions in force and some municipalities started trying to trick the system by asking everyone to go get tested even if they are for certain not in risk or had any suspicious interactions - this is done to muddle the waters and bring city down to "orange" state which is much lighter restrictions.

Basically things are not that simple.

There are actually reasons to why they say what they say and do what they do. You can give them a benefit of the doubt there, especially considering we don't really have a clue about this shit anyway, for sure less than them.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-09-17 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    For example masks protecting you is both encouragement to others to use masks and it is also true in case of N95 masks.
    Problem is: most people aren't wearing N95s. They are wearing some home made stuff or bandanas.
    These do NOT protect you and they also don't protect others very well, especially when they are worn for so long that they are completely wet.

So in essence: it is a false statement.
    I do agree with you on the psychological aspect. They use this half-truth in order to encourage a higher compliance.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Again, simple concepts just whoosh over your head, I guess. The graphic was to show you that the fluctuations that you're pretending are some sort of "multiple peaks" are completely explained by the temporary fluctuations in those two countries.
    Which part of "as a whole" didn't you understand? You're squirming and trying all kinds of red herrings by splitting whe whole into parts; be my guest, it's not related to what I said anyway. Also please post a graph of USA + Brazil, which you omitted.

Oh, I'm well aware that you were responding to another person there. <..> And the whole idea that your responses can only be addressed by the person whom you quoted is asinine.
    Yes, you're aware now. Something something reading comprehension
    You replied to a post not aimed at you and tried to make it about you personally. That was asinine, not replying in itself.

The rest is again personal attacks from a doomsayer, so I'll ignore them again, with your permission
    Last edited by Cynep; 2020-09-17 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Which part of "as a whole" didn't you understand? You're squirming and trying all kinds of red herrings by splitting whe whole into parts; be my guest, it's not related to what I said anyway.
    Womp womp. What part of:
    The graphic also shows extremely clearly that the rest of the world is unfortunately still firmly on the upslope. What's also clear as day to everyone but you, apparently, is that the combined total for the world is also still going up.
    ...do you not understand?

Clearly, I addressed both, but yet again... whooosh... you failed to grasp a basic concept.

Yes, you're aware now.
    No, champ, I've always been aware. Those "- - - Updated - - -" markers are not exactly subtle.

You replied to a post not aimed at you and tried to make it about you personally.
    Lulz, nothing about this is about me, personally, despite your many attacks. I responded because your post was objectively wrong.

The rest is again personal attacks from a doomsayer, so I'll ignore them again, with your permission
    Hey, obvious deflections are obvious again. Sure, I'm fine with you admitting that you have no actual rebuttal. Everybody here is already well aware.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils