Edgemaster's Handguards

Is there any even remotely reasonable way to farm them? I haven't seen a set on my server for two weeks, regardless of price.

And how accurate is this gonna be both in terms of drop rate and specific mobs that drop them? It also seems to have the same drop chance from say, ZF scarabs as ZF elites. https://classicdb.ch/?item=14551#dropped-by:0-8+1

Is it all critters level 45-51 that drop them at a 1 in 4000 rate? Or whatever random mobs Blizzard picked?

Edit: Also, are these BiS forever for:
    non-human/orc warriors
    maybe enhancement shamans?

Or does the strength from the C'thun gauntlets eventually start to outweigh the reduction to the glancing blows?
    Last edited by garicasha; 2020-02-04 at 06:31 PM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Is there any even remotely reasonable way to farm them?
    No, because the drop rate is so low that the value added by having extremely small change of getting them is irrelevant compared to other items. It's possible that it's worth farming mobs that have chance to drop them, but not precisely because of them.

And how accurate is this gonna be both in terms of drop rate and specific mobs that drop them? It also seems to have the same drop chance from say, ZF scarabs as ZF elites. https://classicdb.ch/?item=14551#dropped-by:0-8+1
    These are incorrect numbers for classic, because those are from some private server's database.

Wowhead has some data from real classic servers, but that data is not accurate at all, because it's gathered by players. https://classic.wowhead.com/item=145...-by:0+3-10-9+1
    Is it all critters level 45-51 that drop them at a 1 in 4000 rate? Or whatever random mobs Blizzard picked?
    As you can see from wowhead's DB, it's extremely likely that this is not the case. It is not possible to answer the question how did they choose the droprates or mobs that drop it.

Most of them probably get traded/sold within guild, so you won't see many of them in AH.

BTW, don't want to make a separate thread for it, are race changes available in classic?
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

BTW, don't want to make a separate thread for it, are race changes available in classic?
    No race change in Classic...yet.

Is there any even remotely reasonable way to farm them? I haven't seen a set on my server for two weeks, regardless of price.

Edit: Also, are these BiS forever for:
    non-human/orc warriors
    non-human/orc rogues
    maybe enhancement shamans?

Or does the strength from the C'thun gauntlets eventually start to outweigh the reduction to the glancing blows?
    Mail gloves not for rogues,
    They are only really good for warriors as they are not used for 2h weapons it knocks out Enh Shammy for the most part. So far the best place I have seen for farming them is Sunken Temple as everything is in that level range and I saw 2 sets drop while leveling. And no if you are not Human or Orc and usin the approriate weapon, nothing will beat them.

I agree with the sentiment that nothing really beats them if you lack at least 305 skill for the MH weapon you are currently using. I picked up a pair on my human fury warrior so i could use the one handed axe from Ony. There are too many other warriors and rogues in my guild fighting over sword drops, so i was able to get the axe drop for almost no dkp. Another great onehanded axe drops off of Nefarian, so i consider edgmasters a worthwhile investment as a human.

As for farming them, do so on a frost mage in sunken temple or the beginning of BRD. Even if they never drop, wich they may not, you will be well on your way to having the raw gold to buy them outright on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    so i consider edgmasters a worthwhile investment as a human
    Disagree so hard. There are so many good swords, that as a human, giving up your glove slot to NOT use swords is a huge downside, not even including the gold you spent on Edgemasters. Even using slightly worse swords but equipping better gloves, would result in a DPS gain over gloves + good axes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the sentiment that nothing really beats them if you lack at least 305 skill for the MH weapon you are currently using. I picked up a pair on my human fury warrior so i could use the one handed axe from Ony. There are too many other warriors and rogues in my guild fighting over sword drops, so i was able to get the axe drop for almost no dkp. Another great onehanded axe drops off of Nefarian, so i consider edgmasters a worthwhile investment as a human.

As for farming them, do so on a frost mage in sunken temple or the beginning of BRD. Even if they never drop, wich they may not, you will be well on your way to having the raw gold to buy them outright on the AH.
    It's objectively better to use swords as a Human rather than use Edgemaster's for the weapon skill.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Disagree so hard. There are so many good swords, that as a human, giving up your glove slot to NOT use swords is a huge downside, not even including the gold you spent on Edgemasters. Even using slightly worse swords but equipping better gloves, would result in a DPS gain over gloves + good axes.
    Yes but so many people are competing for swords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHorner View Post
    That's what you get for playing melee.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHorner View Post
    because swords generally happen to be the best endgame weapons in Vanilla.

The human and orc racial is so good that not going for a sword or axe is just plain stupid. I can understand using a different weapon if it's an upgrade, but you should ALWAYS aim for a weapon that takes advantage of your racial.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. The soft cap for crushing blow reduction is at 308 weapon skill, but 300-305 benefit you highly by overcoming the latent hit penalty against bosses.
    Anything above 308 is garbage, and I see people on the forum saying you can't have enough weapon skill. They're wrong.

So how does Maladath work with its +4? Is it sill human only (it’s a sword) or is there something else that bumps you up to the numbers where the hit % calculation changes (305?) and you get greatly reduced damage penalty on glancing blows?

You can't really "farm for it", sure you could kill the appropriate level elites all day, but even if you did that forever, theres a good chance you'd never see them.

Your best bet is to farm gold in whatever way is best for your class, and advertise you're buying them.

I'm happy I bought 2 pairs for 300g about 3-4 weeks after launch. I would of bought more (there were alot up at the time) but I didn't have the gold.

So how does Maladath work with its +4? Is it sill human only (it’s a sword) or is there something else that bumps you up to the numbers where the hit % calculation changes (305?) and you get greatly reduced damage penalty on glancing blows?
    Imo, humans should get priority for it. With 308 being glancing penalty reduction cap, its gonna make the most sense for humans with 305 to go to 309. More so than the 307 to 311 for non humans with edgemasters. And non humans without edgemasters should farm edgemasters.