Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being fair, while I think Warlords was the least successful of all of the expansions, if you were primarily doing high-level raiding it was fine. If you weren't then you would lack for things to do.

It's quite amusing to see a few people here who have been out of the game for more than five years--"walked away without ever looking back" is how I think they put it--that are still here posting regularly because they imagine they have something new to say. That can't be healthy.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-02-07 at 02:11 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I have much bigger problems with BfA compared to WoD. My three major issues with WoD was Garrison, severe lack of patch content and the entire idea behind time-travelling which I just don't find engaging. Garrison did make the world feel much less alive, but the actual content was quite fun and I enjoyed playing my character and I enjoyed the majority of the content and features that was made available during the expansion.

With BfA I find my class less enjoyable which is a huge problem as when my character doesn't feel fun to play everything starts to fall apart. Global cooldown changes, the heavy gated and repeating nature of all of BfA's content. The farming of azerite power etc.. It's all boring to me. Things got better with 8.2 and 8.3 but at that point I had lost all interest for the expansion. I had more fun in WoD compared to BfA. WoD was impossible to enjoy over time as there was no new content to enjoy but up until that point I had much more fun than I have ever had in BfA.

Another thing to consider is how WoD was released back in 2014, BfA was released in 2018. I expect the game to have involved from 2014 to 2018. The bar is simply higher in 2018-2020 when compared to 2014-2016. BfA might not be worse when directly compared to WoD but at the same time I expect it to be better simply because technology has involved since WoD so if it delivers on a equal level to WoD it should have potential to still be better just because of advancements to the client, the cutscenes etc..

[[current expansion]] is the worst pile of dogshit I ever saw, Blizzard really went downhill since [[my personnal favorite xpack]], now it's just an empty shell.

WoD was a ‘raid or die’ expansion so by default I like BFA better, although I liked the gameplay a lot more for most classes. I find Cataclysm to be worse than either of them.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did def enjoy the raids in WoD quite a bit. Blackrock Foundry was great in my opinion. Also I think it was alt friendly enough because I hate grinds, but I finally used one of those upgrade tokens to make a warlock for fun and I ran him with a couple other friends guilds with no issues. My main was a blood dk which of course id run in my friends raid if necessary (even though i wasnt going to get anything since I already ran him with my normal guild) if they were missing a tank. I didnt mind helping them, but I admit, I did like playing the warlock just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    WOD was the most casual/alt-friendly xpack in Wow's history. At least after release of 6.2, when all that flying removal nonsense had gone away. That was more than enough for me. Strange thing. Xpack, that had the least amount of content -> the biggest activity during xpack for me. I've never consumed whole xpack's content before that time.
    Well, that's not surprising, considering how little of it WoD had.

Does it really matter which of these two bottom of the barrel expansions was better? They both sucked
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

I definitely liked WoD more than I did BfA, but I think the reasons are complex, ranging from more fatigue to liking the theme more with WoD. I love draenei, so more of them was nice. Also, I firmly believe that WoD patches 6.0 (launch content, I hope i have the right number ) and 6.3 were very good. I don't mean to say this was a great exp, I just did enjoy it more. BfA to me feels extremely fragmented in every way, which takes me out of well... how the game feels when it's good, if that makes sense?

BfA just feels broken to the point of distraction, and so much of the experience is broken up into lobby gameplay of raids, m+, islands, warfronts, even invasions can't quite escape that feel. Even the fact you have three zones split by a load screen on each side serves to further this feeling. I never had this feeling with WoD, more that it lacked content during the mid patches and that was why I strayed to other games on and off.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOD had some good raids, but that is where it stops. I did not enjoy the zones at all really, and sitting in your garrison was great for gold but terrible for community.

Honestly i still think BFA is better in my personal opinion. BFA has some cool raids, and then you have stuff like Horrific Visions which i as a solo player find fun as hell. I think i enjoyed the zones in 8.2 better than any of the added zones in WOD, and the 5 mans were definitely more memorable for me in BFA. Waycrest and Freehold stand out to me.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The problem with WoD is that it had little content. But the content it did have was miles better than the anti-fun shit in BfA that feels soulless and with the sole purpose of increasing /played time metrics.

Off the top of my head, WoD was better because:

The classes were better in WoD. Both how they felt to play and how deep they were, and how different they were from one another. Now we have standardized trash that feels the same. With the GCD change it's even more annoying and tedious.

WoW was always grindy, but even in WoD somehow the grinds felt much less tedious and they were more rewarding. In BfA they feel pointless, unrewarding and plain awful.

Timegating was already present but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, with timegates within timegates on top of timegates.

RNG wasn't as bad as it is now. RNG is straight up worse than in mobile games now. Hell, with the cancer of 8.3 and the way corrupted gear is wrapped within many layers of RNG (right tier, right effect, right slot etc...), we could say the RNG now is worse than ever.

Even the zones and exploration had more to it. They were already pretty much soulless quest hubs back then, but now they're literally just empty worlds with good art (yeah yeah good job art team).

The story was already a clusterfuck so I guess they're equally shitty in this department. But I do remember enjoying it more back then, but that's probably just me being jaded by now.

And the so-called "content" that BfA has is shit. Island expeditions, warfronts etc... are just shit, pure shit, it's not even subjective, they're not fun or worth doing. It feels like they learned from WoD that they need to add content, but this company is so incompetent it doesn't actually know what good content is.
    Its not even subjective, huh? Guess I dont have to post to voice my opinion, since you've that for me already.
    Hi

I genuinely do think WoD was better. Yes the content was very light, conceptually meh or blah and garrisons were not many people's cup of tea, but the PvP was fucking solid and generally the bone structure of the game was still intact with tried old reward systems and time sinks like gear vendors and just regular old freedom to mess with alts as much as you like.

Personally I really did have much more fun playing WoD than BfA.

Yes it was, had me entertained waaay longer. Used to even raid back then, good times

5+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed combat a lot more in WoD than in BfA, so that alone makes WoD better. If there is no content, or the content sucks, you just do old content. Level a new alt and play on the old zones you like. But if the combat sucks, nothing really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    WoD was a million times better than BfA.

The only reason I even played BfA was Allied Races and Heritage armor. The expansion itself is boring and forgettable.
    I would literally only log in to WoD and actually play the game was to raid with my guild, because there was nothing worthwhile at all to do in WoD other than raiding (I don't PvP): I had zero need for Apexis Shards due to raiding, so the single daily we had available at max level was made moot. I was basically done with the garrison in the first couple of months. The garden? Two minutes and I was done harvesting it and went to play other games or do anything BUT play WoW.

Atleast WoD had fun raids and most classes was fun to play.

Wasn't a good expansion, but still better than bfa. At least there was no grinding nonsense and classes were better.

In this thread:

WoD - the most widely disparaged expansion of all time is considered 'better' than BfA because it's cool to hate on current expacs.

In previous threads:

MoP - the most widely disparaged expansion of all time is considered 'better' than Legion because it's cool to hate on current expacs.
    Cataclysm - the most widely disparaged expansion of all time is considered 'better' than MoP because it's cool to hate on current expacs.

Get over yourselves. No one wants to rehash the same bitch post that has been posted at least a thousand times since .. 2010?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Well, that's not surprising, considering how little of it WoD had.
    How many followers for your garrison in WoD do you have? Somehow i doubt you have all of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    In this thread:

WoD - the most widely disparaged expansion of all time is considered 'better' than BfA because it's cool to hate on current expacs.

In previous threads:

MoP - the most widely disparaged expansion of all time is considered 'better' than Legion because it's cool to hate on current expacs.
    Cataclysm - the most widely disparaged expansion of all time is considered 'better' than MoP because it's cool to hate on current expacs.

Get over yourselves. No one wants to rehash the same bitch post that has been posted at least a thousand times since .. 2010?
    Thanks for the bad take.

I prefer questing in WoD by a LOT. BFA levelling is dull as dishwater. But endgame wise? BFA has this on lock.

Start of BFA pre good azerite traits, essences and corruptions was much worse than any part of WoD.

Now, in 8.3 though, BFA is undeniably better than any of WOD