Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    W/e that is.
    Had to look it up. So a veiled pseudo-nazi call out without addressing what I posted. mmo-champ 101.
    What you posted was, like, actual Social Darwinism.

Also, the inherent irony in saying stupid or ignorant people need to be sterilised and not knowing a basic term like social darwinism...Catch me out here sippin' tea with Wendy Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    What you posted was, like, actual Social Darwinism.

Also, the inherent irony in saying stupid or ignorant people need to be sterilised and not knowing a basic term like social darwinism...Catch me out here sippin' tea with Wendy Williams.
    "Social Darwinism is any of various theories of society which emerged in the United Kingdom, North America, and Western Europe in the 1870s, claiming to apply biological concepts of natural selection and survival of the fittest to sociology and politics.[1][2] Social Darwinists argue that the strong should see their wealth and power increase while the weak should see their wealth and power decrease."

Aw sheesh. Thats literally what I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    "Social Darwinism is any of various theories of society which emerged in the United Kingdom, North America, and Western Europe in the 1870s, claiming to apply biological concepts of natural selection and survival of the fittest to sociology and politics.[1][2] Social Darwinists argue that the strong should see their wealth and power increase while the weak should see their wealth and power decrease."

Aw sheesh. Thats literally what I said.
    Indeed!

"You shouldn't breed if you are a piece of shit who won't take care of your children at a decent level to provide future able voting and productive citizens to that society."

I.e. you believe individuals are capable of being selected for in terms of "fitness" and, furthermore, that such is an appropriate basis for policy.

Which is a) loathsome, b) social darwinism, and c) pseudoscience. As previously stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    It mean because the quantity of energy, food and especially clean water needed for someone to live healthy and well has a limit.
    The amount of additional energy, food, and water we can produce is nearly unlimited. We've only just barely scratched the surface in terms of how the planet can be transformed for the purpose of supporting civilization. And even if we did totally deplete the Earth in tens of thousands of years we would almost certainly have the technology to start extracting resources from the solar system and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    We actually don't have the technological mean to support too much population, and certainly not the energy required to pwer these means if they exists.
    Yes we do and as technology gets better and material resource goes up the planet will be supporting ~9 billion people by the end of the 21st century century. Which is good.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-02-19 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yes we do and as technology gets better and material resource goes up the planet will be supporting ~9 billion people by the end of the 21st century century. Which is good.
    No, we don't have at all.

We don't have now since we have not enough "renewing" energy production (coal/oil are "old stocks" in the earth we are burning with no production again), solar panels use lot of space and materials (predating agriculturals use to feed said growing population), wind power is... Well, too many problems to count and doesnt work everywhere (except perhaps the offshore ones), And perhaps nuclear one are okay but use tons of water and wastes are not the safest things...

So no, we don't have enough power and have no mean to sustain a heavy population. Especially if they will live in previously "hard to live" or we need to create fields in previously "hard to produce" zones.

And even if we did totally deplete the Earth in tens of thousands of years we would almost certainly have the technology to start extracting resources from the solar system and beyond.
    Haha, knowing humans, except some people willing to try the solar system, the majority of mankind will die on the planet because they refused to use ressources to explore/find the mean to go to space, then complain they did not explore space and they are dying because of that.