Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

Why doesn't Nintendo just make a powerful console? Why have they settled on being a supplementary console? If you buy the Switch, you're gonna miss out on a lot of third party games.

Imagine a Nintendo console with the great first party games AND all the major third party games.

If you're OK with the Switch not getting as much third party support, you're saying you're OK with less content.

And before you say, "They already tried that with the GameCube", the GameCube didn't sell that well because Nintendo made the stupid decision to use those tiny discs, which made it harder to develop for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Switch sold 52.48 million copies, that's why. Game devs now ask Nintendo if they can make a port for Switch. It's that successful.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 - They don't need to make powerful consoles - their simpler ones still sell, and they are cheaper, which helps with the selling part.

2 - "miss out on a lot of third party games"? Nah, if you have a Switch and a PC you are mostly covered except for maybe the only game that PS4 got: Bloodborne.

3 - A powerful console won't guarantee those third-party games, and the Switch is an port machine without being powerful.

Yep, Nintendo should make a power competitive console like the n64 and gamecube!

Oh wait, nevermind the Switch already out sold both of those in far less time on the market.

Don't quit your day job to apply to Nintendo, they don't have a position for you.

Also please stop claiming mini discs made the gc "hard to develop for" GC had great 3rd party support and it didn't do shit for the system it was not hard to develop for at all.

Nintendo bowed out of the console wars in '95 when they ignored Square's request for a disc drive and more powerful hardware. Then Sony listened to Square, made the Playstation, and everyone jumped ship. Since then, Nintendo has been focusing on doing their own thing, with the selling point of their consoles being access to their high quality exclusive titles.

Switch + PC and nothing else really matters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh no. What would i do without the latest Ubisoft or ea game!? Gross

What for? AAA garbage full of 'minibuys' to make it another xbox or playstation?

Nintendo came to the realization you don’t have to push the power envelope to sell consoles. You can find other envelopes to push that will sell just as well if not better.

There is nothing wrong with being supplemental. I love my Switch for just that reason. The portability is fantastic(as a frequent flyer, mine gets plenty of run). I don’t need my Switch to have every latest bleeding edge title. And Nintendo has done a great job this gen, bringing in plenty of ports as well.

They really don't have to. People don't play Nintendo systems for high fidelity graphics.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why bother? They crank out solid, family friendly consoles every few years, and make a truckload of cash. They're not trying to compete with PlayStation/XBox. Entering that arena would be a really bad move, for them.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Nintendo could probably make an extremely powerful console but I doubt it would fair better than PlayStation or even Xbox while likely being far more expensive than the Switch. The way Nintendo runs things wouldn't go well with a powerful console. N64 was very powerful at the time, and while successful, it didn't sell nearly as well as the PS1, had multiple third party issues, and it's success almost came entirely from first and second part games. Contrary to common belief, the Gamecube was powerful in that generation, far more than the PS2, less than the Xbox, but sometimes could pump out better graphics than the Xbox. But it didn't really bring anything new to that generation, which is why it finished third.

Switch is doing very well now that Nintendo has zoned in on a niche. Sure, it isn't that powerful, but it's still more powerful than the Wii U, and it's power is fine for the games that come out on the Switch. And even so, I'm sure Nintendo will make a more powerful version of the switch since they love making alternate models of it's successful systems.

Honestly the game I've been playing on the switch and find most fun are the small title games. Yea they don't look ultra realistic but I'm not really into that anyways. Plus like others have said, the AAA titles now mostly have micro transactions and that is just a cancer on the game industry.

Props to Nintendo for keeping sight on what they feel is right.

They don't have to, they already make good games instead.