Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I experience the supernatural every once in a while. I will have dreams that turn out to be the future. It's just my future, and it's usually nothing remarkable. The most interesting things have been my going to a restaurant that didn't exist yet with my friends, and just a nice day hanging out at home in a house that I hadn't lived in or been to yet. I don't have any way of proving it, and I've never dreamed of anything particularly important, but some of them do happen exactly as I dream them. My best guess for a natural explanation is that the universe is deterministic and something about REM sleep kind of picks up on snippets of brain states in the future.
    Just an idea: Maybe sometimes we cannot trust our own mind. This sounds a bit like deja vu for me. (Warning, dangerous second hand knowledge incoming) - I once read an explanation for this feeling that it is basically a wrong connection built up in your brain, which in your perception plays out in a way that it already happened.

Don't want to jump to conclusion, just a thought to consider. We cannot always trust our own perception, as there are things that can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Just an idea: Maybe sometimes we cannot trust our own mind. This sounds a bit like deja vu for me. (Warning, dangerous second hand knowledge incoming) - I once read an explanation for this feeling that it is basically a wrong connection built up in your brain, which in your perception plays out in a way that it already happened.

Don't want to jump to conclusion, just a thought to consider. We cannot always trust our own perception, as there are things that can go wrong.
    Eh, there's some things that are astronomically small possibilities. Like me going to a restaurant that doesn't exist yet anywhere, and then opens several months later, and it's exactly like the dream. Noted, I don't have any outside proof of things like that, and don't really have anything to do about it, but I think the specifics are too specific.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I do believe that extraterrestrial life exists. These numbers may have changed, but from what I remember, there are an estimated ~200 billion stars in our galaxy alone. And the number of other galaxies (several larger than our own) is estimated in the trillions. And that's just the tiny bit that we can see.

Considering those numbers, I find it hard to believe that we're alone and that everything else out there is just a bunch of dead rocks and gas.
    I feel the same way and like you, it is unimaginable we are the only planet where highly intelligent life exists in such a huge universe. But even if that is true, it does not mean they have visited us. The distances involved, are astronomical. ( No pun intended.)
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I've written in a similar thread a while ago that my stance is "I believe in the phenomenon known as ghosts/supernatural".

I tend to be a very scientific minded person - and while the Scientific Method is always my go-to, it also is fueled by my scientific imagination. ^_^

So, to translate, I believe these events happen - but I don't know why. There are many theories as to why, from "spirits of the undead" to electromagnetic distortions, ect.

All I know is I do personal believe (ie. Theorize) some of the events have happened, but I don't know why. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Just an idea: Maybe sometimes we cannot trust our own mind.
    I've had a few moments like this already.

Recently on these forums a few months ago, I stated how WoW-Classic had a $5 a month charge if you wanted to play that instead of full WOW, remembering the announcement at Blizzcon talking about it. Everybody yelled at me that it wasn't true and I should go find it. So, I dilligently looked all over Google and Youtube... and god damnit the event never effing happened! I actually clearly remember the moment the guy on stage was telling the audience... but shit, it was never real. I called it a "Twilight Zone" moment for myself...

Another one I remember long ago was watching "The Omen" original movie as a young child, and having the memory of this normal looking adult priest (kinda like Pierce Brosnan) getting killed via being impaled by the spike from the tower.

I grew up many years later as a Classic Series Doctor Who fan, and enjoyed the impish fun that was Patrick Troughton's 2nd Doctor - a short little hobo of a man with a mop of black hair.

Years later, I found out that the priest in that scene WAS PATRICK TROUGHTON!!!!

My whole memory of what that guy looks like was a complete lie. Even right now I can still picture it, and the guy looks no where close to what Patrick Troughton looked like in that scene! o_O

It's absolutely unbelievable...

Yes, i believe!

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I don’t believe in ghosts or the supernatural because in the age of everything being captured and recorded, the verdict should be out already. And it is. No ghosts.

Mod Warning: Keep discussion to ghosts and harmless topics, not religion.
    This fact is about O Casarão Assombrado and occurred in the 90's in a famous mansion located on an avenue in the capital of Sergipe, which borders the Sergipe River. From a very influential family here in the state, it is a big house built in the second decade of the last century. Full of mysteries, aroused the curiosity of those who passed in front of him. Whose is it? Are there still people living there? Very sinister! Spooky! Its facade was old and overgrown that even sprouted from the wall.

Well then! Josélia * was a teenager in the 90s. She knew and had friendships with some girls who lived in that palace. They were relatives of the deceased owners. At their invitation, she went to spend a few nights there. According to her, the first nights were quiet. But from the third night onwards some strange things started to happen. In the middle of the night she says she was awakened by strange noises that she thought were coming from the great room. There were noises that felt like furniture being dragged. She didn't care much at first so much that she didn't even tell her friends about it. But things started to get worse.

One of those nights the noises started to get louder to the point where she couldn't sleep. But the curious thing was that none of the friends, who slept in the same room, did not wake up. It could be heavy sleep, she thought. Out of curiosity, on one of those nights she says she took courage and decided to investigate what was happening. He got up and tiptoed to the bedroom door. He opened the door slowly and when she looked down the hall towards the living room she saw something very disturbing. A chair was moving by itself, as if being dragged by something invisible.

She says that despite the darkness of the house, street lights penetrated the rooms, illuminating enough to identify the objects in the room. Startled, she woke one of her friends to show what was going on. The friend, showing a sinister calm, said that it was usual, it happened almost every night, that she need not be afraid and asked her to go back to sleep. The friend's recommendations didn't work. She couldn't sleep anymore and after that night she never went back to the haunted house again.

No.

I enjoy it in fiction, but that is as far I get here.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a divided man, divided by my rational side that keeps saying NO, and my naif side that keeps triggering me interest in this sort of things. Hopefully my rational side always overcomes, the best i'm whilling to believe is the existence of alien life outside Earth, even that i don't really believe in the possibility of intersteller travels.

Those that wish it were real: Don’t you like being relieved that there are no monsters under your bed?

Those that wish it were real: Don’t you like being relieved that there are no monsters under your bed?
    Few monsters in stories match the evil and depravity of our fellow man, sadly.

When I sometimes jog so early in the morning it's still dark and no one around...one wooded area always gave an unreasoning sense of fear concern. I would always tell myself that humans are what I should be concerned about. Not some bogeyman...

"But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.”

- - - Updated - - -

To really answer the question...Most days...YES.
    I've been reliably informed that if someone ever gets bed bugs, you will believe that there are indeed monsters under the bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The framing of your question would be, itself, evidence of the absence of the supernatural.

Why must the supernatural be (partially) evil and about monsters? Because it's a human fabrication meant, in some way, to instill a sentiment and teach some sort of lesson to your target audience.

No, of course not. Total nonsense.

What I find amazing about pro-science types is that dark matter is accepted as real but there is no hard evidence it exists. Dark matter is technically as believable as angels and demons - we just like the sound of it is why the scientific community accepts it.

Most people who strictly denounce the existence of the supernatural misunderstand the term and equate it with banal things such as ghosts and demons.

They also can't see how they themselves are so thoroughly possessed by ideals (whether it be scientific empiricism or a particular political/social ideology) that they have completely lost their own essence.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    What I find amazing about pro-science types is that dark matter is accepted as real but there is no hard evidence it exists. Dark matter is technically as believable as angels and demons - we just like the sound of it is why the scientific community accepts it.
    "Dark matter" is a placeholder, for whatever it is that causes e.g. galaxies to act as if they have more matter than we can observe. It could be some kind of matter that we can't observe (hence "dark matter") but it could also be something else. It's existence is however supported by numerous observations and mathematical evidence. The comparison with angels and demons is nonsense.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

And yet calling it a placeholder...
    Semantics...god in the gaps that science finds acceptable...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And yet calling it a placeholder...
    Semantics...god in the gaps that science finds acceptable...
    Nah. I think a god of the gaps-argument here would be if I said that because we don't know what dark matter exactly is, it must be angels and demons.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Yes which is weird because scientists will claim to be instrumentalists/empiricists when you mention demons or ghost but then they switch over to scientific realism and rationalism when it comes to all the unobservable entities or phenomena such as dark matter. This is why the only criteria for science is based on explanation. There's currently no explanation for demons thus it simply isn't a part of science.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-03-28 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Nah. I think a god of the gaps-argument here would be if I said that because we don't know what dark matter exactly is, it must be angels and demons.
    Sounds like you know something that most physicists lack the arrogance to presume to know.