Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

When was the last time you farmed a specific reward without being heavily timegated?

Me:
    1) Rank 4 PvP Battleground Essence - Blood of the Enemy
    2) When i decided to have fun selling Mekgineer's Choppers at a fair price. I farmed the mats for a couple bikes and made some people happy (mostly poor newbies)

-----

Interesting [Video] on the Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1phy6TpgXk

-----

You are free to discuss what you think about the timegate mechanic for every specific case
    example:
    -Raids must be timegated for the well being of the game BUT i think is unnecessary in "X" content

WOD comes to mind, but there has been others probably. WOD it was the rep grinds where you could just farm rep, even in 5 man groups with efficent tactics...Was great.

Time-gating should not be a thing.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    WOD comes to mind, but there has been others probably. WOD it was the rep grinds where you could just farm rep, even in 5 man groups with efficent tactics...Was great.

Yeah, no. Fuck mindlessly farming Laughing Skull mobs for hours and hours on end.

Indeed. I prefer time-gating, as I'm generally in no particular hurry to finish a grind and would rather spend 2 hours a week for 10 weeks than 40 hours in a row. I'm a big fan of the emissary system for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Dunno..probably Laughing Skull Orc rep? Had some transmogs available but couldn't be arsed to do it in WoD, so I mass farmed the rep area in Legion.

Other than that no idea what "heavily timegated" means. And it means something else to everyone, so the discussion really goes nowhere.

IMHO Onyxia scale cloak and rep for Hydraxian waterlords to douse MC runes as well as the AQ event were already less and more "heavy" timegates. Now we have more activities, so we have a timegate on all of them - and ofc for players who think they must do everything - that becomes unbearable.

TBH - I wish that just as an experience they would put infinite dailies and WQ on the map and have mobs in areas give rep so ppl can farm to their heart's content. But what would it solve. One half burns out and then says they have nothing to do, the other half will call the very existence of rep a timegate.

Reminds me of ppl who thout the removal of offside in Soccer would make for a better game - or recently when for years they screamed we need a video referee to make the game fair. Now we have them - and ppl complain it kills the game.

In a way I am glad that I can / need only to do 4 dailies and then can go off....instead of wasting my day without limits. I have no idea what would happen to my social life and job if...for example...I could do Horrific Visions endlessly. I'd just no life it for that mount and would feel shit and hollow. (Still think 100k mementos is too much )
    Very nice post.
    I can only speak for myself but the things i listed felt incredibly good.

And then there is classic. (which i avoided talking in the OP)
    I want Pre-raid BiS...and all of my gear is in non-timegated content.
    I also want gold, and my farm is locked behind the 5-man instance reset timer (5 dungeon per hour) Which i conisder a veeeery soft and mild timegate because you can still do 100 resets per 24hours.

And yet again i feel happy because my only limitation is my willpower to play the game.
    For example yesterday i did 4 Strat Living Side.
    Today (so far) only did 2 Scholo
    The day before i reseted BRD 5 times to gold farm coffers.

As you can see, i burnout pretty fast...but im incredibly happy because my only "limit" is "myself"
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-03-15 at 04:40 PM.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legion Artifact Appearences maybe? Mage Tower, Hidden Appearences and the like were a lot of fun and most often not really gated by time but my own efforts. Whilst some may consider the Mage Tower time gated you had days at a time and usually a fair few attempts when it was up.

I also enjoyed MoP Challenge Modes. I had great fun learning the Dungeons with friends and unlocking the sets on every Class. We used to cap Valor on our mains after the Raid by running a few CMs for the Alt Bonus so that was great.

I also would say Arena rating. I managed to hit 2k in Legion Season 3/4 for my Warrior and my Death Knight in Season 7 for the sets. It wasn't really that timegated, unless you did what I was doing and pushing 2k in the hour when the servers should have already gone down before BFA pre patch But I've also generally done the same in BFA for PVP, pushing 1800 on some Alts to get the different sets. A friend and I went on a grind of about 80 games to hit 1800 on my Hunter in S2.

I think timegating is alright in certain regards. I know I'm already somewhat burned out of Vision runs despite not having a Character at Rank 14 yet. I just did a 4 Mask run on my Warrior and needing to do three more runs for another upgrade is meh-ing me out.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

PvP artifact appearance rank 1 in Legion I suppose? Time gating does help reduce burnout. If it's a long grind it helps to have smaller rewards along the way, I still love my honorable pennant toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Yeah, no. Fuck mindlessly farming Laughing Skull mobs for hours and hours on end.
    So its better to do dallies for 20 mins every day for 2-3 months? Id rather make a good group and be done in 6-10 hours...Thats how fast some them were.

In future blizzard needs to strike a balance...BFA all rep is gated IIRC...its bad.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

When was the last time you farmed a specific reward without being heavily timegated?

1. Blood of the enemy
    2. Pvp arena mounts
    3. honor grind ( I dont know why we have a worse grind then classic atm )
    4. Goldmounts
    5. rare mount mops
    6. Herbs for my proffesion items
    7. Elite gear

Thats what come to my mind right now.

However timegating feels much better then what was in classic and later around it. I think mindless grinds which you can do if you spend 10h+ hours doing the same are pretty bad design and the developer who did stuff like that should be ashamed. for example Hydraxian waterlords

So its better to do dallies for 20 mins every day for 2-3 months? Id rather make a good group and be done in 6-10 hours...Thats how fast some them were.

In future blizzard needs to strike a balance...BFA all rep is gated IIRC...its bad.
    Ideally all reputations would be like Suramar, involving a story campaign from start to finish with an tangible payoff at Exalted other than "we let you buy our overpriced shit now".

Failing that, yes, I'll still take even the longer reputations like Rajani over the lazy as fuck mob grinds that were Laughing Skull or Saberstalkers. Mechagon is probably the grindy reputation that worked the best in BFA as well.

Yep, that's 1000 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Yep, that's 1000 times better.
    Sorry to ask but...what part of the timegate makes it "better"?
    Wouldnt it be better if it had no restrictions?

You need "parental control" in WoW also? (if that still exists sorry for the joke)

The winterspring mount

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

You need "parental control" in WoW also? (if that still exists sorry for the joke)
    Can you be a bit more subtile with your pro classic and hate retail posts?

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Can you be a bit more subtile with your pro classic and hate retail posts?
    I will 100% play shadowlands

But do i hate timegates? Yes...i hate them. What can do?
    Am i also not allowed to like classic?

I made a serious question.
    The only reason to actually enjoy a timegate is to not fall behind to a "no lifer".

BUT

It also means a person who started later has absolutely no way of catching up to a person who started day one.
    Or even a person who couldnt play in 1 day of the week.

Both systems are not fair...but i would say the timagate is worse. IMO
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-03-15 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Ye, farming elite mobs that give 5rep/kill is such a better system...

Some people on this forum.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I will 100% play shadowlands

But do i hate timegates? Yes...i hate them. What can do?
    Am i also not allowed to like classic?

I made a serious question.
    The only reason to actually enjoy a timegate is to not fall behind to a "no lifer".

BUT

It also means a person who started later has absolutely no way of catching up to a person who started day one.
    Or even a person who couldnt play in 1 day of the week.

Both systems are not fair...but i would say the timagate is worse. IMO
    Almost as if there is no catch up mechanics. kappa

No , but seriously. You make tons of threads which are based on the idea to show what classic does better. Once you get proofen wrong , you abandon the thread with the excuse you dont want to get banned.

I ask you now, to stop your biased or atleast see it to the end without always abandoning the threads. :>

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Almost as if there is no catch up mechanics. kappa

No , but seriously. You make tons of threads which are based on the idea to show what classic does better. Once you get proofen wrong , you abandon the thread with the excuse you dont want to get banned.

I ask you now, to stop your biased or atleast see it to the end without always abandoning the threads. :>
    A conversation needs to stop somewhere...or the the conversation is infinite...

Im still waiting on your opinion as to "why" a timegate is better than not having any restrictions.
    Is it:
    1) Lack of self control?
    2) You dont want to fall behind to a no-lifer

Are there more reasons i dont know about?

edit: the catchup mechanic is usually implemeted after months...IF we even have the luxury to have a catchup mechanism
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-03-15 at 07:00 PM.

A conversation needs to stop somewhere...or the the conversation is infinite...

Im still waiting on your opinion as to "why" a timegate is better than not having any restrictions.
    Is it:
    1) Lack of self control?
    2) You dont want to fall behind to a no-lifer

Are there more reasons i dont know about?

edit: the catchup mechanic is usually implemeted after months...IF we even have the luxury to have a catchup mechanism
    If you leave the grind unlimited you need to down scale it to the point that it gets to a unhealthy level where time and reward wont match up.

also , thats not what you said last time

I have my own self control. But the thing is when something is grindable without any cap i simply start loosing interest.

I have finished 2 months ago insane in the membrane but I started doing it in MoP. I restricted myself to 2-3 full runs on pickpocketing chests daily (30 minutes). Once i finished that, I restricted myself to one full pirates clear per day (5 minutes).

When some grind starts taking more than 15 minutes a day so all infinite ones, i almost immediately start loosing interest.