Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Blizzard has never taken any action on people for trading services for gold since the start of the game. It has nothing to do with tokens. Gold is a mechanic of the game.
    I'm not against selling services for gold, kudos to the people that have the dedication to do it, but the introduction of the wow token has made it possible to funnel large amounts of gold into the game for no time investment at all. Kind of the same thing happened with garrisons. This is why the prices for boosts are what they are, vanity items/mounts for crazy price etc. I actually do believe prices for consumables are this high because of the influx of gold that's not generated in the game.

If boosting is a profession then it is the first useful profession in the past 3 expansions...

Quote Originally Posted by Nullp0inter View Post
    I'm not against selling services for gold, kudos to the people that have the dedication to do it, but the introduction of the wow token has made it possible to funnel large amounts of gold into the game for no time investment at all. Kind of the same thing happened with garrisons. This is why the prices for boosts are what they are, vanity items/mounts for crazy price etc. I actually do believe prices for consumables are this high because of the influx of gold that's not generated in the game.
    The problem was garrisons. WoW tokens don't actually generate any gold. In fact, they remove gold from the economy.

Selling runs has always been a thing. Crafting on the other hand died some time after Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    All I see in trade chat these days are guilds and groups of players hustling different services from raids,mythic plus, visions, and even pvp rating it seems to of completely replaced the more traditional systems of acquiring power outside of doing the content yourself.

My question is... is this bad for the game? I admit I have sold a lot of runs myself back in earlier versions of the game but back then sellers were rare and power was even a more uncommon commodity with the focus instead being in cosmetics.

I tried selling visions today and came away with what I consider a absurd amount if gold for four hours of play but it just feels off...

I'm not sure if at this point the genie could be put back into the bottle but do you feel the rise of this new economy is a good or bad thing for wow?
    I’ve made about ~6.5M this patch just getting this kids cloak up to rank 15. Didn’t even care about mask, just wanted the quest done.

But my profits on the AH suck ass now that it’s the lul between expacs. Bracer shuffle isn’t profitable anymore, so many fuckers making pots with Silas that they tanked the market and they are usually posted at a loss. (1.7 proc rate in tsm). Contracts and tomes still make a small profit. Transmog moves even slower. Cooking does ok on reset day.

So yeah..... selling runs is WAAAAY more time efficient for me
    Last edited by Sinfelle; 2020-03-26 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Yes and yes. I hate this new trend and I'm honestly sick of seeing trade chat just flooded with what are likely level 1 alts (judging by the names) peddling M+/Nyalotha/etc. runs blah blah blah GOLD ONLY. It's constant and drowns out anything else that might be going on in trade chat.
    Kind of my opinion as well... If nothing else, they are indeed ANNOYING AS HELL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nullp0inter View Post
    I think it's bad, because it promotes absurd inflation left and right. Blizzard seems ok though since the tokens are flowing.
    How can there be an inflation in an activity that doesnt generate gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Blizzard didn't implement it. The players did.

Blizzard has no power over what people buy and trade as services in their game.

- - - Updated - - -

Because a large majority of players do not have the multi-gold capped characters that a few others do from playing the AH for years.

That gold, currently, is just sitting on accounts with no use. But if someone decides they want a carry run, they suddenly inject a significant sum of that existing gold back into the economy.

That can cause inflation just as much as other things, as gold gets no easier to earn for people NOT carrying, so there's just a bunch more new people who can afford more expensive things now. Thus, they are able to buy things at higher prices, but no one else is, driving the price of goods up as people are willing to spend more on the same product.

Eventually, that product is priced out for anyone who isn't doing carry runs.
    So? It doesn't generate gold, it's already there. There's no difference if an expansion brought people back or a patch content did.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Crafting is just worthless these days, everything sells for peanuts or barely above mats costs. Gathering you can forget about unless you're hardcore multiboxer.

So yeah, boosting is the only way to make quick buck and since not everyone has the skill to boost high end pvp, raiding or m+, they try to find other niches like levelling, islands, achievements, etc. There's some group on my realm that always spams they sell warmode achievements or duelist club ones.

Trade servers? "barely above mats costs" is still beter than what I deal with. Superior Flasks on my server are a 400g loss even considering procs for most of them... i dont understand why people even make them to sell unless they arent smart enough to check how much the actually mats they are farming would sell for vs the flasks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bit late with this thread arent ya? This is goin on since vanilla.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Bit late with this thread arent ya? This is goin on since vanilla.
    It's the frequency that has changed mostly due to the wow token. While it happened in the past is was rather rare outside easy raids like mc gold dkp.

Even on high pop servers there wasn't anything like a normal raid carry throughout most of the game till... I want to say wod is when I noticed it? Maybe a little in mop.

There is a rather striking difference between a couple top guild selling something and hundreds of people selling something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    All I see in trade chat these days are guilds and groups of players hustling different services from raids,mythic plus, visions, and even pvp rating it seems to of completely replaced the more traditional systems of acquiring power outside of doing the content yourself.

My question is... is this bad for the game? I admit I have sold a lot of runs myself back in earlier versions of the game but back then sellers were rare and power was even a more uncommon commodity with the focus instead being in cosmetics.

I tried selling visions today and came away with what I consider a absurd amount if gold for four hours of play but it just feels off...

I'm not sure if at this point the genie could be put back into the bottle but do you feel the rise of this new economy is a good or bad thing for wow?
    these services started 15 years ago, they were sold by top raiders back then, just as you see it now. arena carries of course started during BC, but you could buy spots into premades top guilds in Van WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    If gold isn't being spent, it's not part of the economy at this moment.

If that gold is then spent, it is now part of the economy.

It doesn't need to generate gold to make changes towards inflation. It just needs to inject it into the economy. I mean hell, if I did a carry run and just held the gold with no intention of spending it, I'm effectively removing that gold from the equation just as much as someone is adding it by spending it after hoarding it for a long time.

Ex.: If I logged in today, and bought the entire supply of raid potions out, you'd suddenly see the price of potions go up. I didn't generate gold, but I directly influenced the economy by injecting a sum of gold I generated a very long time ago. Alternatively, the price of potions didn't really move when I first earned that gold, since it just sat on my character never moving.

This is effectively what happens when someone buys a token for gold. Someone who has plenty of gold has just given it to someone who bought a token with money to make gold. Presumably, if someone is spending real money for gold, they intend to spend it - So that gold is then spent on goods which it otherwise would not have been spent on. Now those goods at that price are no longer available, and the next lowest price is all that's available - Which is higher than the previous price. Thus, inflating the price.
    And that's still not inflation. There's not money being generated out of thin air

10+ Year Old Account
    Got some friends running heroic N'zoth boosts for 150k now that they split between the lot of them.. it's barely anything and incredibly boring to do.

But on the other hand it's quick and relatively easy which is nice.

Carries have always been a part of the game and will remain so... The problem is not the carry in itself, but the fact that Professions are completely useless. Yes, there is Alchemy and Jewelcrafting, but thats basically it. Also, there are so many different areas for the game where you can sell carry runs. M+, Visions, Leveling, Raids, PvP... Each of these activities has a high end section that "normal" people just wont be able to do. And as such you have so many carry runs these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind it.
    I think it's better than crafting and you can make a shit-ton of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    How can there be an inflation in an activity that doesnt generate gold?
    Yeah ignore it, I had some misconceptions there.

To the main topic - I really hope boosting doesn't become the only way to generate some good cash. AH play is still possible, but takes a lot of time and effort imo.
    Last edited by Nullp0inter; 2020-03-26 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Yes and yes. I hate this new trend and I'm honestly sick of seeing trade chat just flooded with what are likely level 1 alts (judging by the names) peddling M+/Nyalotha/etc. runs blah blah blah GOLD ONLY. It's constant and drowns out anything else that might be going on in trade chat.
    Im on Shadowsong, rarely see trade chat spam for carries. The most legit carry groups are in Premade Groups. Just search "WTS". Keep away from ones that lead you to a website and pay $$. Many good ones know how to let you use gold on your server.

I have more gold than I know what to do with (from grinding AH in Legion and b4), so I've bought lots of carries. PUGS are too frustrating. I dont want to commit several nights to a Guild where I feel I HAVE to be there. So carries allow me to see content, and get some gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Crafting is just worthless these days, everything sells for peanuts or barely above mats costs. Gathering you can forget about unless you're hardcore multiboxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    If boosting is a profession then it is the first useful profession in the past 3 expansions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Trade servers? "barely above mats costs" is still beter than what I deal with. Superior Flasks on my server are a 400g loss even considering procs for most of them... i dont understand why people even make them to sell unless they arent smart enough to check how much the actually mats they are farming would sell for vs the flasks.
    Yes and Yes and Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Im so glad people still believe this, just more gold for us AH players. OP, im one of the people who buy these boosts cause I make millions on the AH Corona outbreak defiantly also helped on my gold making. AH play is not hard, but some people dont care about gold making or they are...scared? to try it for risk of loosing gold...idk.
    No and No and Lolz. love the omgzz I'm AH end boss you all suck posts . They are either BS from people who like to hear themselves talk or they are pumping their youtube videos on how to do this and that which is mostly time consuming waste of time where you could make more just gathering herbs if so inclined.

But I will say, given there are so many servers, I am sure some have gotten lucky with economy at that server and can still grind out great profits. (mix of number of AH grinders vs number of gatherers, general server pop and demographics, product demand etc) . Those are the exception for sure.

I am actually baffled about the demand for carry runs, pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    I am actually baffled about the demand for carry runs, pathetic.
    why?