Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Tortollan, Arrakoa, etc. of Shadowlands

Every expansion has a new Race of NPCs that aren’t really advertised with the expansion but always become a fan favorite during and after it, BfA had Tortollans, WoD and TBC both had the Arrakoa, corrupted and uncorrupted as well as the Botani, WotLK had the Vrykul, what cool flavorful new race could SL have in store (owl bros)

10+ Year Old Account
    Venthyr stand out to me the most currently. Kyrians also have potential, but I wasn't terribly impressed with their models.

In BFA I liked the Sethrak a lot, and Stewards in BFA are looking to be pretty fun as well. And though it's not really relevant to Shadowlands specifically, at some point in WoW I'd like to see them take a shot at making frog-people. I think that could be fun.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except Tortollans are terrible.
    You can't compare a race like Arrakoa with a fully dedicated zone, dungeon, world boss, story and lore, with a bunch of random turtles giving very boring WQs, just for the sake of pathfinder. The equivalent of Arrakoa in BFA are Sethark I suppose.

On the side note, the music of Spires of Arak alone is better than the entire BFA expansion. :P

7+ Year Old Account
    I could see it being those little owl people

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Except Tortollans are terrible.
    LMAO what??? What isn't cool about thousand-year-old sea-dwelling traders, storytellers, and warriors? I would absolutely play a tortollan if they were ever made playable. IMO they're like the tuskarr, but cooler.

Owl bro’s
    The Oribos merchants
    Probably another race we haven’t seen

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade2091 View Post
    LMAO what??? What isn't cool about thousand-year-old sea-dwelling traders, storytellers, and warriors? I would absolutely play a tortollan if they were ever made playable. IMO they're like the tuskarr, but cooler.
    Just in case they were to become playable I have characters with the name of the ninja turtles already preserved

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade2091 View Post
    "A turtle made it into the water" made them rejected by most player base I suppose. Tuskars had nice fishing rods at least.

5+ Year Old Account
    The brokers of Oribos.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Broker

... but I'm sure the owl bros will be the most favorite. Wouldn't surprise me if they somehow became an AR.

Burning Crusade - Arakkoa and Ethereals
    Wrath of the Lich King - Vrykul
    Mists of Pandaria - Mogu, Mantid, Jinyu, and Hozen (man this expansion had a lot of cool non-playable races!)
    Warlords of Draenor - High Arakkoa and Saberon
    Battle for Azeroth - Sethrak

Shadowlands? The owl people don't jump out at me as cool, they seem all right, if anything comical like Turskarr, Tortollans, and to a lesser extent, Wolvar. I wouldn't want to play any of the three, really. Kyrians just look like blue humans with wings, so if I were to guess, we've yet to see the cool race we can't play in Shadowlands thanks to having seen so little, likely because it wasn't ready yet, so I guess Venthyr? Even though in concept they're like San'layn, but leaning more towards bat humanoids. I wouldn't be surprised if Shadowlands itself doesn't have a standout "cool" non-playable race because it seems it'll focus on the concept of the theme of Death, and its accompanying sub-themes. Everything seems to be a spin off of already existing concepts with some "element of death" added to it.

"A turtle made it into the water" made them rejected by most player base I suppose. Tuskars had nice fishing rods at least.
    Mind sating my curiosity about something? Were you one of those guys screaming "lolpandas" a couple years ago? Cause that's what you're doing. You're boiling an entire race, storyline, culture, and way of life down to a meme.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Mind sating my curiosity about something? Were you one of those guys screaming "lolpandas" a couple years ago? Cause that's what you're doing. You're boiling an entire race, storyline, culture, and way of life down to a meme.
    I think you're being biased here.

IDK about the person you quoted but I was definitely not a "lolpanda" person. MoP was my favourite expansion from the moment they announced it at BlizzCon and continued to be so till present day. I loved the concept of Pandaren from the beginning. I loved their quests about harmony and peace, their philosophies, their wisdoms, etc.

The Tortollans? I don't like them. And it is not because I don't like the concept behind a thousand year old turtle race... What I don't like is their execution. The tortollans keep making silly jokes and puns and that is fine! except they don't even make sense. So they tell me how they are 2 thousand years old and how young I, the playerm am.... I am a fucking 10 000 year old night elf -_- And their WQs? They don't make sense. "Let's help the nature's balance by helping these little turtles survive" that's not nature balance. That is fucking biased and unnatural selection.

I don't like parody. Tortollans are deliberately made to be a parody. The Pandaren were not intended as parody. They were intended as serious stuff. And yes, some of the stuff they do is cringy. Chen Stormstout is cringy. But Taran Zhu is not cringy. Aysa Cloudsinger is not cringy. Shao-hai is not cringy. They were all deep and conflicted characters with good and bad traits. It was a serious story with some comic relief. Not a full blown parody.

OT: Can't really know what the next Dark Horse race will be till they make it really...

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play WC3 a lot and Pandas were not strangers there. Your assumption is wrong.

Tortollans on the other hand, who or what the heck are these?!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    I think you're being biased here.

IDK about the person you quoted but I was definitely not a "lolpanda" person. MoP was my favourite expansion from the moment they announced it at BlizzCon and continued to be so till present day. I loved the concept of Pandaren from the beginning. I loved their quests about harmony and peace, their philosophies, their wisdoms, etc.

The Tortollans? I don't like them. And it is not because I don't like the concept behind a thousand year old turtle race... What I don't like is their execution. The tortollans keep making silly jokes and puns and that is fine! except they don't even make sense. So they tell me how they are 2 thousand years old and how young I, the playerm am.... I am a fucking 10 000 year old night elf -_- And their WQs? They don't make sense. "Let's help the nature's balance by helping these little turtles survive" that's not nature balance. That is fucking biased and unnatural selection.

I don't like parody. Tortollans are deliberately made to be a parody. The Pandaren were not intended as parody. They were intended as serious stuff. And yes, some of the stuff they do is cringy. Chen Stormstout is cringy. But Taran Zhu is not cringy. Aysa Cloudsinger is not cringy. Shao-hai is not cringy. They were all deep and conflicted characters with good and bad traits. It was a serious story with some comic relief. Not a full blown parody.

OT: Can't really know what the next Dark Horse race will be till they make it really...
    Ok, back up a step here. You're inserting your own personal headcanon RP into the game as an excuse for why something an npc says is wrong? Also, have night elves stopped procreating? Unless they flat out tell you they were around for some event like in the WotA you have no idea how old any night elf npc is. They could very well be a young adult born right before the Third War. As for the tortollans, they actually live that long naturally, not because they were handed immortality on a platter as a side effect of protecting the Well of Eternity.

Also, you're totally misconstruing what that quest says. She asks you to help turtles because it reminds you of how young tortollans struggle. You finish the quest she straight up acknowledges that she's being biased and is interfering in nature's balance, but can't help rooting the turtles.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to play WC3 a lot and Pandas were not strangers there. Your assumption is wrong.

Ah, so you're a hipster then. One of those "if it wasn't in the RTS games it doesn't belong in WoW" types. Blizzard does need your permission to introduce new races. There is no magical line where "everything invented before this time is good, everything invented after this doesn't belong."
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, back up a step here. You're inserting your own personal headcanon RP into the game as an excuse for why something an npc says is wrong? Also, have night elves stopped procreating? Unless they flat out tell you they were around for some event like in the WotA you have no idea how old any night elf npc is. They could very well be a young adult born right before the Third War. As for the tortollans, they actually live that long naturally, not because they were handed immortality on a platter as a side effect of protecting the Well of Eternity.

Also, you're totally misconstruing what that quest says. She asks you to help turtles because it reminds you of how young tortollans struggle. You finish the quest she straight up acknowledges that she's being biased and is interfering in nature's balance, but can't help rooting the turtles.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, so you're a hipster then. One of those "if it wasn't in the RTS games it doesn't belong in WoW" types. Blizzard does need your permission to introduce new races. There is no magical line where "everything invented before this time is good, everything invented after this doesn't belong."
    Dude, why you persisting on categorizing people. "If not that, then this", is pretty a low effort statement.

As I said earlier, I am all in for Arrakoa and they were not in the RTS. Same with Vyrkuls, or Setharks, etc.

But Tortollans are pretty lame race imo; inserted into the game only to fill the empty role of Kirin'tor, in giving lame WQs in BFA. You can like them as much as you so desire; that's not my problem :P

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    The brokers of Oribos.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Broker

... but I'm sure the owl bros will be the most favorite. Wouldn't surprise me if they somehow became an AR.
    Seem to use the panda skeleton

I am looking forward to the faun. They are also the most likely to be a playable race, as they use the Dranaei model and are not as moraly difficult as the vampires.

- - - Updated - - -

God that game would be quite boring if we only use stuff from a 20 year old RTS and nothign new...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    Seem to use the panda skeleton
    Pretty sure they use the goblin or dwarf skeleton

I'm not inserting any headcannon RP anywhere. Night Elves live for thousand of years WITHOUT the Well of Eternity or Nordrassil. Blood Elves live for 3000+ years as well. Draenei live fucking tens of thousands of years. Sure, there are races that don't live as long but the Tortollans really emphacise how amazing they are for living mere 2000 years old, when in fact they are mere amateurs compared to some of the other Warcraft races.

I double checked the Beachhead quest to be sure. Indeed they don't mention the balance of life so I take that back. Let the WQs be. Still, their sense of humour and questlines full of parody aren't much to my liking. I am playing a Fantasy RPG with gore and all. I want it to be serious. Immersive. I don't want my immersion to be disrupted by silly jokes and cringy dialogues.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Venthyr stand out to me the most currently. Kyrians also have potential, but I wasn't terribly impressed with their models.
    Well, they could work as new human options, if recolored.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.