Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who’s the greatest President or Leader of your country?

President Barrack Obama

Before him Franklin Delano Roosevelt

For Canada Justin Trudeau

Who was the worst?

Donald Trump

Used to be Ronald Reagan

For Canada Paul Martin

Mostly because he’s the only one I remember of much note.

Who was President or leader when you were born and what’s earliest memory you have of the President or Leader of your country?

Jimmy Carter was elected when I was born.

Earliest memory was of Reagan vs Mondale.

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-21 at 02:25 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Joop den Uyl for expanding our welfare state to its current form(although its getting broken down slowly). Willem Drees is the PM who was in charge when it was all set up.. but you know.. terrible war crimes in Indonesia and all that.

I would disagree that Trump is the worst for the US(yet), He has not even hit Bush levels yet. Not to mention the presidents that committed literal genocide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what metric you want to use. If it’s purely popular support only, I’d say Reagan. If you couple popular support, with economic metrics, than it’s Bill Clinton.

The worst is Trump, since he fails both the popular vote and the economic metric one. *I’m not looking at stock market only*

I wasn’t born to a president. The head of state was Leonid Brezhnev... when I got to US, President was Bush sr and the first election I remember is Bush v Clinton. The first vote I cast for Gore. I still love gore... if it’s tastefully done... gf got physically sick watching the last 30 min of Audition on Friday... lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    I would disagree that Trump is the worst for the US(yet), He has not even hit Bush levels yet. Not to mention the presidents that committed literal genocide.
    Which President committed literal genocide? Just to make sure as well, you mean literally? Not the figuratively version?
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-04-19 at 12:54 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Which President committed literal genocide? Just to make sure as well, you mean literally? Not the figuratively version?
    Trail of Tears was pretty much genocide with a few people allowed to walk away.

Also, I will be able to vote for the first time this year. Not a very inspiring selection to start with.

7+ Year Old Account
    Andrew Jackson springs to mind.

As for British leaders... so many to choose from. Cromwell for putting paid to the divine right nonsense, the Pitts in their wars vs the French, Queen Victoria (are we counting monarchs?), Gladstone, Churchill, Thatcher... lots of choices.
    Still not tired of winning.

IMO, best was FDR. Over came two of the biggest tragedies in world history and following them was a pretty golden age of economic prosperity and technological expansion. So he didn't just slash and burn for the win. He won and plenty was left to go around afterwards for others to work with. Worse, well, I know a lot of people want to go Trump but truth is Trump is more of a do nothing big mouth and in 50 to a 100 years he probably will go down as one of those Presidents a lot of people don't even remember. So I would put the worse at James Buchanan. The guy pretty much looked the other way at the spread of slavery and the expansion of bloc of states that would become the Confederacy. The perfect example of kicking the can down the road to only allow it to explode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I would say its Ramalho Eanes, being the first democratic elected President after the 25th of April 1974 he seted the standarts for how the President should behave. Also, he was born just 9km away from my town, and i actually meated his brother.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3..._Ramalho_Eanes

Who was President or leader when you were born and what’s earliest memory you have of the President or Leader of your country?
    When i was born, the President was Ramalho Eanes, he was the President from 76-86, i already was at school in 86, but all my memories at the time, alwayas refer to Mário Soares. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1rio_Soares

EDIT:
    I also think the thread is somehow biased, how about monarchies? Or Parliamentary systhems where the role of the President isn't that big?
    Last edited by Tuor; 2020-04-19 at 01:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Andrew Jackson springs to mind.
    Couple of problems, I’m guessing you are talking about “trail of tears”. Jackson only served for 2 years of the war. While, as fucked up as relocating policy was and the thousands dead as result of the wars, it is not literally genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Trail of Tears was pretty much genocide with a few people allowed to walk away.
    That depends on how you define ‘few’ and ‘allowed’, but it wasn’t genocide. ’allowed’ is a strange word to use, when the deaths were the result of fighting against forced relocation. They were not just allowed to walk away, in all cases of conflict defined as trail of tears, it’s because they were forced to.

Again, what happened was horrible, but it wasn’t genocide. Just to make sure it’s clear, this is a semantic argument, not one defending relocation policy or Jackson.
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-04-19 at 01:57 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Couple of problems, I’m guessing you are talking about “trail of tears”. Jackson only served for 2 years of the war. While, as fucked up as relocating policy was and the thousands dead as result of the wars, it is not literally genocide.
    I get that its normal in the US to deny genocide so that you can whitewash your history, but that does not mean that is how everybody sees it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what metric you want to use. If it’s purely popular support only, I’d say Reagan. If you couple popular support, with economic metrics, than it’s Bill Clinton.

The worst is Trump, since he fails both the popular vote and the economic metric one. *I’m not looking at stock market only*

I wasn’t born to a president. The head of state was Leonid Brezhnev... when I got to US, President was Bush sr and the first election I remember is Bush v Clinton. The first vote I cast for Gore. I still love gore... if it’s tastefully done... gf got physically sick watching the last 30 min of Audition on Friday... lol

- - - Updated - - -

On this the only metric that matters is yours or mine because this is intended to be purely opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that its normal in the US to deny genocide so that you can whitewash your history, but that does not mean that is how everybody sees it.
    Again, killing thousands in a conflict where people were getting relocated west, due to underhanded deals signed with questionable leaders... is not genocide. It’s not white washing it... it’s not denying the deaths... it’s cutting through rhetoric, to talk about actual history. If you want to call it genocide, as a way to exclaim the death of thousands, all power to you... but, you are wrong. While I don’t think thousands of dead in barbaric relocation policy, is inflammatory enough... no need to be wrong, to exclaim it further. It’s like adding a fifth exclamation mark... you lose more than you gain.

(An interesting side note, corona is nearing twice as many dead as the trial of tears, in US alone. I did not know that...)

- - - Updated - - -

On this the only metric that matters is yours or mine because this is intended to be purely opinion.
    Yeah, that’s why I specified my criteria. I don’t want people to think my opinions are arbitrary...

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, killing thousands in a conflict where people were getting relocated west, due to underhanded deals signed with questionable leaders... is not genocide. It’s not white washing it... it’s not denying the deaths... it’s cutting through rhetoric, to talk about actual history. If you want to call it genocide, as a way to exclaim the death of thousands, all power to you... but, you are wrong. While I don’t think thousands of dead in barbaric relocation policy, is inflammatory enough... no need to be wrong, to exclaim it further. It’s like adding a fifth exclamation mark... you lose more than you gain.

(An interesting side note, corona is nearing twice as many dead as the trial of tears, in US alone. I did not know that...)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that’s why I specified my criteria. I don’t want people to think my opinions are arbitrary...
    Fair enough it’s a pretty solid and reasonable standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough it’s a pretty solid and reasonable standard.
    Also, consider the replies if I just said Reagan, without explaining. I would think a mod looking at my post history, would be justified in infracting me for trolling. lol

There would be like 50 posts from me just saying “I meant popularity”... shit, saying Andrew Jackson would have been a solid troll... maybe next time...

Yeah trump is just a powerless clown compared to Bush junior which was just a puppet to the republican warmongers..

Joop den Uyl for expanding our welfare state to its current form(although its getting broken down slowly). Willem Drees is the PM who was in charge when it was all set up.. but you know.. terrible war crimes in Indonesia and all that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    Yeah trump is just a powerless clown compared to Bush junior which was just a puppet to the republican warmongers..
    Trump has objectively more power than Bush, at least started with.

President Barrack Obama
    Lol what a stupid choice name actually one thing that people will remember of Obama in 100 years? (and plz dont say he was the first black president)
    George Washington or Thomas Jefferson are clearly the obvious choices...
    Last edited by tromage2; 2020-04-19 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Lol what a stupid choice name actually one thing that people will remember of Obama in 100 years? (and plz dont say he was the first black president)
    George Washington or Thomas Jefferson are clearly the obvious choices...
    Yeah I don’t bother arguing why racist shouldn’t be racist. You’re entitled to your opinion.

Lincoln. He kept the nation together by defeating the racist slave owning democrats during the civil war.

Worst would probably be FDR. We should have stayed out of WW2 and let the communist get exterminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Worst would probably be FDR. We should have stayed out of WW2 and let the communist get exterminated.
    Unsurprisingly, Pepe the Poster thinks we shouldn't have fought the fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Lincoln. He kept the nation together by defeating the racist slave owning democrats during the civil war.
    Bonus points for slipping in 'democrats' as though we're all unaware of the poltical realignments that have happened since...150 years ago
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Unsurprisingly, Pepe the Poster thinks we shouldn't have fought the fascists.

Bonus points for slipping in 'democrats' as though we're all unaware of the poltical realignments that have happened since...150 years ago
    Well the alt-right are lovesick on the nazi regime, so that's hardly surprising. Probably the only reason slavery bothered him was because it was taking away a job from the white man *shrug*

When you have no power or influence to shape your own life it is not hard to see why these weak minded individuals cling to ideologies that would lift them up merely by birth right of being white. The reality individuals like him would simply end up being someone's slave in the cut-throat and back stabbing mentality that the Nazi regime held among themselves. I don't expect those people to actual know much or if anything from the era they speak however.