Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    People tend to get discouraged by the whole exercising part. Exercising is essentially just min-maxing (icing on the cake etc).

Get control of your diet and you can pretty much control your weight even without any added physical endeavors.

Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Not diet perse as in eating healthy, but as in eating less. Eating healthy makes that easier as healthy foods are often lower in calories thus you can eat more making it easier, plus you get more fiber, nutrients and vitamins, but the bottom line is always calories in vs calories out. You can theoretically lose weight on pizza and mc donalds alone.

It doesnt matter how many times you eat though, if you portion your meals into 2, 4, 6 or 8 portions per day. There is a maximum to say the ammount of protein the body can digest in a set time, but other than that no. Easiest thing is putting it on a weekly scale. So at 3000 calories per day you can eat 21000 calories per week.

Since september ive begun intermittent fasting. Eating between 12 and 8 pm and then fasting untill the next day. Ive lost 14 pounds in the last 2 months while my crossfit performance is off the charts. (Im snatching 200lbs on an empty stomach for reference) The diet drains your glycerine upto the point where its empty and then your body starts using fat for fuel. The majority in the loss however comes from simply eating less. As im eating 2 to 3 big meals a day, being around 800 calories each, the days im eating 2 im practically eating 1600 calories and the next im eating around 2400 averaging about a 800 deficit average.

Knowing that, and knowing i perform well while doing so, leaves room for a beer or 2, a packet of crisps or something else to snack whenever i feel like it without feeling guilty as i know in the grand scale of things i easily hit my calorie deficit on a weekly basis and that makes it perfectly manageable without doing too many concessions.

Its not for everyone though. My girlfriend tried it for a few weeks and kept getting headaches and shit due to low blood pressure in the mornings.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2020-11-18 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    there is a world of difference between short term dieting for a goal like i don't know - bodybuilding contest where competitors are AWARE that its not healthy for them and they are doing it for different reasons, temporarily, vs a regular person trying to lose some weight to be HEALTHIER. if you are losing weight at a slow and steady rate, your deficit by definition should NOT be verging into unhealthy.

there is a standard way to determine calorie deficit for any given person. track what you eat for one to two weeks. this is the amount of calories that maintains your weight. now, calculate your BMR. and once you did that reduce your daily calories bout 300-500 calories and no more then that, as long as its above your BMR (most people don't spend their day not moving, you need at least some energy for daily tasks, otherwise your body starts shutting down essential processes and you do NOT want that). if after a month you are not losing weight while in this deficit (you should lose about 4 pounds) then its time to get yourself tested for underlying conditions. if you are losing weight too quickly, despite being in a small caloric deficit? don't call it a win - get yourself tested for underlying medical conditions because rapid weight loss is NOT healthy.

and there is a plethora of underlying conditions that can contribute to lack of weight loss. its not as simple as "just eat less then you burn" for a number of people. just eat less is cliffnotes at most.
    and and for most of people that piethora could be summed up as "to much mcdonald and coca-cola"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    and and for most of people that piethora could be summed up as "to much mcdonald and coca-cola"
    But I'm hungry and it's the only thing open late.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Calculate your TDEE, track all your food, lift weights and eat more while staying under your calories to kickstart your metabolism. I know it sounds crazy, "eat more to lose weight", well yeah, it works 100%. Cut out the crap foods (processed junk), portion control (weigh your food) with a digital scale.... etc.
    Horde always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cwowtbang View Post
    Calculate your TDEE, track all your food, lift weights and eat more while staying under your calories to kickstart your metabolism. I know it sounds crazy, "eat more to lose weight", well yeah, it works 100%. Cut out the crap foods (processed junk), portion control (weigh your food) with a digital scale.... etc.
    What is tdee?

I also not sure if I agree that only eating raw foods is good. Cooking is a clear reason why humans are the way they are compared to animals. Predigestion is hype.
    Driving on Sunshine.

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure
    Essentially it's how many calories you need every day to keep going. If you consume too many calories, and don't use...or more so, burn them, then they go to fat for storage.

It's a different way of saying what many have already posted in a more succinct way, with the added proviso of needing more to burn to increase the metabolism rate which can lead to more activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    But I'm hungry and it's the only thing open late.
    hilarious thing is - you can buy salads (dressing on a side) with grilled chicken and water at Mcdonalds. back when I was in college, I was broke as fuck, pardon my french, so I used to have to eat at Wendys a lot of the time, cause its all I could afford and there was one near the school. I would buy a cup of chili and a salad off their dollar menu. sometimes a baked potato as well. $2-3 for a decently healthy lunch. at a fast food place. go figure. never got any freshman 15 (though it probably also helped that I walked a LOT and everywhere. still do. force of habit)

10+ Year Old Account
    hilarious thing is - you can buy salads (dressing on a side) with grilled chicken and water at Mcdonalds. back when I was in college, I was broke as fuck, pardon my french, so I used to have to eat at Wendys a lot of the time, cause its all I could afford and there was one near the school. I would buy a cup of chili and a salad off their dollar menu. sometimes a baked potato as well. $2-3 for a decently healthy lunch. at a fast food place. go figure. never got any freshman 15 (though it probably also helped that I walked a LOT and everywhere. still do. force of habit)
    Mcdonald's salads are ass tho and you are a poor college student you should be hitting up those Mcchicken
    Driving on Sunshine.

Mcdonald's salads are ass tho and you are a poor college student you should be hitting up those Mcchicken
    I haven't been one in a very long time. apparently Wendys doesn't even have a dollar menu any more either (and at the time they were the only ones offering something other then burgers and fries). no idea how those McDonalds salads taste, but Mcchicken seems kinda meh from a description. in any case, the point I was trying to make is that nowadays most fast food places offer a variety of food options, so... there is that. its not the greatest, but its something.

plus. there was this experiment https://www.amazon.com/My-McDonalds-.../dp/1632959844 (that goes along with the idea that it really does come down to calories you consume vs calories you burn. my adendum to that idea is that there are conditions that skew that balance in a body which need to be handled and regulated before you can see any results so if you seem to be doing the right thing and its still not working? time to hit the doctor)

they are ass because of the way they are prepared.

for example mcdonalds cesars salad has more calories then big mac.

but for example home prepared salad is always a good choice as long as you use simple low calories dressing

salads are a waste of time. matter of fact anything vegetable besides broccoli is a waste of time and thats not even a taste thing. All fruit is a waste of time as well. I cant remember the last time I had some fruit, not counting tomatoes.

but for example home prepared salad is always a good choice as long as you use simple low calories dressing
    yeah,you're more likely to lose weight with a big mac than a mcdonalds salad,less calories and more filling.
    Of course,making your own food always trumps other alternatives,because you can count calories yourself and you get to make something you know you'll enjoy,unlike a lot of "diet foods" you'll find out there that taste like paper at best

dressing on a side. you get dressing on a SIDE. grilled chicken salad has exactly the same calories if you made it at home. https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/p...ken-salad.html heck you can even grab 2 - make it 40 grams of protein, decent amount of veg (which is NOT a waste of time) and still keep it under 500 calories a meal that is pretty filling thanks to all that protein and fiber (I'm giving allowance for the dressing here)

home made Cesar salad ALSO has more calories then big mac because Cesar dressing is high calorie, not the salad itself.

the point is, just because its McDonalds =/= its automatically the worst.

just because something is homemade from scratch =/= healthy, because making high calorie, fried etc foods is also possible at home, you know.

and yeah, buying "diet foods" is often a load of nonsense. but I'm not talking about "diet" choices here. I'm talking about being able to go somewhere and finding decent choices no matter what, regardless of the name of the place you buy it from.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-11-20 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    salads are a waste of time. matter of fact anything vegetable besides broccoli is a waste of time and thats not even a taste thing. All fruit is a waste of time as well. I cant remember the last time I had some fruit, not counting tomatoes.
    Reminds me of this; British teen hospitalized after eating nothing but chicken nuggets for 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Im not in this diet but the video goes into great detail about when eating meat isnt as terrible as some people make it seem.

Honestly really surprised at all the people just going eat less and weight will just fall off like that is reality.
    It's true though. Most agree that 90% of weight loss is diet related. Start with caloric deficit, add in even the most intro level exercise(a couple walks each day), and the person who's 30+ lbs overweight will indeed start losing some. As someone eluded to earlier; the more overweight you are, the quicker the initial lbs will shed off.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Eat a little less, move a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post

Im not in this diet but the video goes into great detail about when eating meat isnt as terrible as some people make it seem.
    there are always exceptions to the rule. but they are exceptions that PROVE the rule. fun fact about keto diet for example. it was developed originally for people with specific conditions, primarily epilepsy. and so its no surprise that some people do better with it. and yet many more people - do not. because one size does NOT fit all.

and carnivore diet is far FAR more restrictive then pretty much any other diet. so I imagine there are some people with certain conditions that could benefit from it. most people - will not.

drinking too much water can be harmful actualy.
    Yes.

Who was saying drink water until it causes a pH disruption?

No one.

That's like saying, "hey eat more vegetables" and interpreting that as "eat only vegetables, 24/7, until your skin changes color."

Drink it so your pee is clearish - google it, there are charts.

Between you, this genius:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Your uneducated opinion versus a doctor.
    You don't speak for everyone...
    And this all-star:

Wrong.

Honestly really surprised at all the people just going eat less and weight will just fall off like that is reality.
    Seems there may be a general comprehension problem in this thread.

There is no secret, or special method to weight loss. It's a very simple, straight forward process that requires - discipline.

It's ok if you don't have any, most people don't have adequate constraints in areas of their life they want to improve, but hey - your business.

And inb4, thyroid problem, insulin problem, EvErYOnE Is DiFfEreNt, YoUrE NoT A DoCToR, "my way is the only way."

Wanna prove me wrong? Post a photo of your body showing your methods (Which are?) are more sound than mine (and the general medical/scientific consensus) : Eat less food, drink more water, move your body.

The higher resolution of said advice - Restrict caloric intake to boost insulin sensitivity, drink 2L-5L of water daily (adjust for climate, weight workloads) and sweat everyday like the police are chasing you.

Remember, the cold will dehydrate you just like the heat will.