The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    So? Politicians will always twist what their opponent does and doesn't say. It doesn't matter. An effective candidate handles it.

Theres plenty of candidates far more problematic attacks than "omg he said 'defund the police'" while securing their elections.

The candidates who lost their seats lost because there were shit candidates unable to secure their 'guaranteed' votes.

People have been growing cold towards moderates prior to 2020. Moderates looking for a scapegoat instead a mirror isn't going to slow that decline. Hell moderates in either party aren't looking too hot.
    Just more conjecture on your part above regarding why they lost. When we have documented evidence saying you're wrong.

I see you're just not going to listen to what so many people are telling you...that's fine. But it's also why good social policies sometimes don't get off the ground. You are patently one of those reasons. But carry on as if your opinion can never be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Was the... If democrats come up with a better slogan doesn’t mater, because republicans will still campaign on democrats supporting defund the police... been brought up recently? Because I am anxious to ask why republicans would run on democrats supporting it, even if there was a better slogan.
    I'm not following your point here...could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What statement and who are you talking about?

I'm referring to a Trump tweet...so unless someone else is posting on his behalf...?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...79929319432200
    The most secure election line came from a statement from the computer security division at DHS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earlier today, I posted five.

Now, I post sixteen.

Sixteen US attorneys in the DOJ reported back to Barr to say "we didn't find any fraud".

And they're not happy about being asked to be Trump stooges, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    When people say that republicans will demonize any slogans democrats use. What would it mean if republicans use “defund the police”, to demonize what ever new slogan might be? There is an inherent implication involved in GOP using “defund the police” to attack democrats that don’t support it... it means something about the slogan...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Interesting article about how "weaponized" slogans cost the DNC seats in the House.

The Democrats must seize control of messaging, including reaching out to large organizations to "market" movements.
    I feel like the big thing is that democrats just can't message well with the way the media is set up.

Conservatives have one network: Fox News. 45% of the country watches it. It has no need to appeal to independents, so it can stick to one unified message that is strictly conservative. The message can then spread naturally from there because they're reaching a big audience to begin with.

The rest of the media is vast and diverse. Democrats have to channel a message through a half dozen major media networks, none of which are as far left as Fox is to the right (no, not even CNN). It's pretty hard to create a narrative that is anywhere near as strong as the conservative narrative in that environment, especially when left leaning networks still have to appeal to moderates and even conservatives in order to stay profitable among so much competition.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there. ActBlue is brilliant in modernizing grass roots, and Obama rewrote the book on this during his campaign. Plus, in your statement above, you point two states where DNC grassroots organization kicked ass.

Now, will the DNC learn form their mistakes. We'll have to see.
    You and I must have witnessed different versions of history, Obama was the most destructive force to the DNC when it came to grassroots and talent. He was so focused on being above politics he left the party to dry, took away talent and tried to make his own movement. As for organizations like ACTBlue that helps my point the DNC is always behind the times.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-playbook.html

Slate wrote a pretty amusing/interesting article related to a fabricated push for proof of "voter fraud" from a former Republican president that didn't go well.

Because apparently the wheel of history of the Republican party is so small that it can make a full turn in just over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The most secure election line came from a statement from the computer security division at DHS.
    Oh right. I did read that, just forgot all about it after seeing his tweet. I was referring to his tweet when I made my post.

Regardless, it's still insane and would be funny if it wasn't so sad, that anyone, especially the President and his staff, is still trying to claim election fraud of any kind when there are claims official government sources that it was the most secure election in history.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I feel like the big thing is that democrats just can't message well with the way the media is set up.

Conservatives have one network: Fox News. 45% of the country watches it. It has no need to appeal to independents, so it can stick to one unified message that is strictly conservative. The message can then spread naturally from there because they're reaching a big audience to begin with.

The rest of the media is vast and diverse. Democrats have to channel a message through a half dozen major media networks, none of which are as far left as Fox is to the right (no, not even CNN). It's pretty hard to create a narrative that is anywhere near as strong as the conservative narrative in that environment, especially when left leaning networks still have to appeal to moderates and even conservatives in order to stay profitable among so much competition.
    While I don't agree with your viewership ratings of Fox, I do agree that the GOP certainly has an easier time with naming things - or, more precisely, has taken the easiest path in naming and therefore marketing their position.

And yes, once Fox News covers something (including the GOP naming convention - i.e. Pro Life), then other media outlets cover their coverage of it. And then it snowballs.

Which is why the Democrats have to get ahead of an issue they care about, especially new ones, and pick a good name/slogan. Defund Police was the worst fucking choice imaginable.

10+ Year Old Account
    McEnemy was asked by FOX News if Trump would attend Biden's inauguration.

"She refused to answer?"

Um...

“President Trump believes he will be President Trump, have a second term,” McEnany said, adding that “litigation is the first step" and there were "many steps” until Inauguration Day in January.

Fox Business host Stuart Varney noted that it "would look pretty bad" if Trump did not attend his successor's nomination.

"I think the president will attend his own inauguration,” McEnany replied. “He would have to be there, in fact."
    Wanna see the video?

Her parents must be so proud.

- - - Updated - - -

Pennsylvania secretary of state says she won't order recount

Based on the unofficial returns submitted by all the counties to the Department of State, Secretary Boockvar has determined that she will not be ordering a recount and recanvass of the election returns in the counties, as no statewide candidate was defeated by one-half of one percent or less of the votes cast.

The counties continue to adjudicate and count the approximately 100,000 provisional ballots issued to voters at the polls on Election Day, as well as the more than 28,000 military and overseas ballots that were cast in this election
    Trump's campaign said it still has active lawsuits, but with so many of them dying today, I haven't the faintest fucking idea which lawsuits they still have left.

Trump has yet to concede the election. If Trump is serious, he should demand a recount, and pay for it. Until then, he's just fleecing his own supporters to pay his own debts.

So? Politicians will always twist what their opponent does and doesn't say. It doesn't matter. An effective candidate handles it.

Theres plenty of candidates far more problematic attacks than "omg he said 'defund the police'" while securing their elections.

The candidates who lost their seats lost because there were shit candidates unable to secure their 'guaranteed' votes.
    Dude...red states...just because a shit slogan works in NYC doesn't mean it'll work in a deep red state. And GOP ads...they knew what they were doing; showing images of looting rioting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Dude...red states...just because a shit slogan works in NYC doesn't mean it'll work in a deep red state. And GOP ads...they knew what they were doing; showing images of looting rioting.
    He got his ass whooped for because of the slogan or because he is in a red state? Which one?

I never denied GOP attacks. I said the attacks are inevitable so candidates better learn how to deal with them. Blaming people who have nothing to do their campaign isn't dealing with it, it's crying and making excuses.

The Moderates who lost their seats fumbled on their own terms with larger problems with a recent slogan.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently Trump has put Ghouliani in charge of his election lawsuits. Why? Apparently because he was upset that his campaign dropped the lawsuit in Arizona they were all but certain to lose.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/11...14th-district/

Oh boy, Republicans that lost their elections are already showing up to orientations and acting like they totes didn't lose.

The fucking complete detachment from reality is real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just more conjecture on your part above regarding why they lost. When we have documented evidence saying you're wrong.

I see you're just not going to listen to what so many people are telling you...that's fine. But it's also why good social policies sometimes don't get off the ground. You are patently one of those reasons. But carry on as if your opinion can never be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't show me that 'defund the police' was the breaking point. Anyone with a just an ear to US can lists off more concrete factors that contributed to those lost elections. The party has been underperforming for some time.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    So apparently Trump has put Ghouliani in charge of his election lawsuits.
    I'm sure he'll get results within four seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Something tells me Trump's lawsuits are about to get more stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    So apparently Trump has put Ghouliani in charge of his election lawsuits
    Trump's lawyers have been dropping cases, because there would be consequences for their actions.

What's going to happen if Giuliani does something truly deplorable? His only client is Trump.

Interesting article about how "weaponized" slogans cost the DNC seats in the House.

The Democrats must seize control of messaging, including reaching out to large organizations to "market" movements.
    The way I see it, the Democrats are simply losing the war on memes. They're easily spread, have a simple message, and be blatant lies, but memes can influence hearts and minds of millions.

What if instead if "Defund the Police", we called it "Blue + 2", referring to sending a social worker and a trained psychologist with the officers on all calls relating to domestic disturbance, mentally impaired people, etc?

That those people would be paid by cutting the budget for "normal" police activities is largely irrelevant in the scheme of what the plan is trying to accomplish. Instead of 4 armed officers, you send 2 armed officers, a social worker, and a psychologist, and if you let the social worker and psychologist talk people down first, the likelihood that the officers need to use force is greatly diminished.

Still need proper reform and oversight to solve the larger problem of actual racists becoming cops and abusing their power, but that's a separate (albeit related) issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    He could be disbarred, I suppose.

He got his ass whooped for because of the slogan or because he is in a red state? Which one?

I never denied GOP attacks. I said the attacks are inevitable so candidates better learn how to deal with them. Blaming people who have nothing to do their campaign isn't dealing with it, it's crying and making excuses.
    Harrison was beginning to push ahead. He was making inroads with white voters that he needed. He lost because the GOP reminded them that rioting and looting is what he allegedly represents.
    When did you become politically ignorant?
    You have to know your electorate...what they want. It's as if AOC was doing her best to ensure losses.