10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    What? everything I've read said the debate lasts 2 hours and then they vote. \
    Per challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Per challenge.
    Ok, but that's still a finite number of hours. LOL

*edit, wait are you suggesting they will challenge every single state? So 100 hours of debate? Highly unlikely, but I guess you can chicken little that if you want

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still not over. Hoo boy, that article goes into extreme detail. I'll sum up, feel free to read the whole thing.

1) All it takes is a single challenge from each chamber to send a state's results into debate, then a full vote.
    2) Which the GOP could ensure never meets consensus, denying the results of the election and just stamping their feet shrilling TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!
    2a) Pence helps.
    3) When the debate/vote after each state is challenged individually would require months of debate time, which doesn't exist, the Constitution says the Senate elects the VP and the House elects the P.
    4) Which we all know is a special election, and the Party of Trump controls more states.

Therefore, Trump and Pence remain in power -- effectively dictators with a willing hand from the Republican Party, cheering and applauding overthrowing democracy on live TV.

But.

5) Pelosi could just delay the House vote forever.
    6) Meanwhile the Democratic Senators could walk out of the Senate, denying them quorum and preventing that vote.
    7) With no result from either by Jan 20th, the rules of succession immediately come into play.
    8) Hail to the Chief, President Pelosi.
    Does this take to account that McConnell seems very not in the mood for a vote like that and is in fact asking the Senate (I think?) Republicans NOT to object and to just accept Biden? Or has that changed again?

Besides, aren't there enough Republicans in the House and the Senate who would vote to accept?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, but that's still a finite number of hours. LOL
    There's a finite number of hours between Jan 6th and the deadline. The article also suggested each individual vote, not state, vote, could be challenged. And that challenge by vote could be dragged into court. More stalling. Fewer hours left.

Obviously the Party of Trump would never give Pelosi the keys to the WH. So there's going to be some dancing. Which Party of Trump members object enough to cause a vote, while which Republicans agree with democracy enough to ensure the vote still ends with the will of the people -- even if doing so brands them as traitors to what their party has become?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Does this take to account that McConnell seems very not in the mood for a vote
    Yes. Any single Senator and any single Rep can force the two hours of debate and vote. McConnell could rally what's left of the GOP to ensure the vote actually ends, but he can't stop the first two steps. He can block the third...with help from actual Republicans, not cultists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Besides, aren't there enough Republicans in the House and the Senate who would vote to accept?
    There have been enough Senators who have said so, yes. And again, for the Party of Trump, President Pelosi is a nightmare scenario. This is more of a "expect more fuckery that amounts to nothing" warning sign than "this will 100% happen for suresies"

Well, that's an excuse to have them all fired.
    Hmm? Probably what's she wants.

I hate to be this person but when you stay and work in this administration it will likely backfire on you. Now Biden will likely purge long time government employees, but he better purge anyone hired from 2016 onward.

Once again a person m, who's responsibility was to govern and keep a functioning government to the next administration. So DeVos should be reprimanded if possible.

My goodness the projection of the crazy deep state, now trying to create one.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I hate to be this person but when you stay and work in this administration it will likely backfire on you.
    Perhaps Team Biden won't purge those who've been around a while.

Perhaps Team Biden won't purge those who've been around a while.
    No doubt. They shouldn't obviously. Biden is not a vindictive asshole. Yet I still stand by purging any Trump hire. So I guess I'm a vindictive asshole.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Yes. Any single Senator and any single Rep can force the two hours of debate and vote. McConnell could rally what's left of the GOP to ensure the vote actually ends, but he can't stop the first two steps. He can block the third...with help from actual Republicans, not cultists.
    Ok, I read the article, and here's where it would end:
    The law envisions the ability to challenge electoral votes collectively or individually. Surely a crafty legal mind like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) would challenge, not each state, but each electoral vote separately.
    Ted would LIKE to challenge each vote, but I'm pretty sure McConnell will say no.

Ted would LIKE to challenge each vote, but I'm pretty sure McConnell will say no.
    Fuck it, I desperately want to see Cruz do this and humiliate himself.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Sounds like McConnell isn't going to allow the GOP Senators to pull any bullshit shenanigans. Which is frankly pretty smart. Because no rational, thinking, intelligent person thinks the election was anything but secure and legitimate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Fuck it, I desperately want to see Cruz do this and humiliate himself.
    So would I. I think a lot of people would love to see it. But McConnell is no dummy. He won't let the Senate look bad, even if individuals want to impeach (see what I did there?) their credibility outside the Senate floor.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet we see a few idiots shouting during the formal process about "[whatever conspiracy theory crosses their little brains]".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Yet I still stand by purging any Trump hire. So I guess I'm a vindictive asshole.
    I mean, if they're being told by their current boss to be obstructionists, no you're not.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hope so, I'd hate to think Cruz could legally say "no" 438 times and force 876 hours of debate in 12 days.

I'd hope so, I'd hate to think Cruz could legally say "no" 438 times and force 876 hours of debate in 12 days.
    "Ted Talk" the one and only...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sen. Paul said this to Krebs' face:

To say it was the safest election, sure I agree with your statement if you are referring to foreign intervention, but if you are saying it’s the safest election based on no dead people voted ... no people broke the absentee rules, I think that is false and I think that’s what’s upset a lot of people on our side is that they are taking your statement to mean there, oh there were no problems in the election, I don’t think you examined any of the problems we heard here, so really you are just referring to something differently the way I look at it
    Yes, he was told the election was free of foreign and domestic interference. No, he did not provide any evidence. Yes, he still said the election was stolen based on his feelings.

So that crap the article I found said could happen Jan 6? Expect Paul to get in on that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sen. Paul said this to Krebs' face:

To say it was the safest election, sure I agree with your statement if you are referring to foreign intervention, but if you are saying it’s the safest election based on no dead people voted ... no people broke the absentee rules, I think that is false and I think that’s what’s upset a lot of people on our side is that they are taking your statement to mean there, oh there were no problems in the election, I don’t think you examined any of the problems we heard here, so really you are just referring to something differently the way I look at it
    Yes, he was told the election was free of foreign and domestic interference. No, he did not provide any evidence. Yes, he still said the election was stolen based on his feelings.

So that crap the article I found said could happen Jan 6? Expect Paul to get in on that.
    And we are seeing, first hand, a United States Senator posit the dangerous notion that his opinion is as important as the facts. Asimov is rolling in his grave.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump has reportedly been convinced he actually won, tells advisers he may not vacate the White House.

That would be a fantastic early 2021 xmas gift. Dare to dream....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I still feel that the most likely scenario is that he goes to Mar-a-Lardo for Christmas and never returns to DC.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    I still feel that the most likely scenario is that he goes to Mar-a-Lardo for Christmas and never returns to DC.
    I hope the media is prepared to and actually does put Trump on mute/ignore come Jan. 20th. Not counting Newsmax/Q/Fox, every media outlet shouldn't even give Trump the time of day let alone any airtime.

I know Trump's daily rantings/fits will be a ratings boost but walking away from the old guy shouting at clouds would be the best thing for this country to move on.

And the media shouldn't be shocked when Trump

a) doesn't attend any formal functions for ex-Presidents
    b) tries to dictate policy from the sidelines
    c) interferes with foreign relations
    d) makes stupid demands of Republican congressmen to investigate every theory that floats across Newsmax's screen.
    e) doesn't portray a single ounce of dignity or grace as a living ex-President.
    f) fleeces his supporters and strokes his ego by continuing to hold his MAGA rallies.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

Trump has reportedly been convinced he actually won, tells advisers he may not vacate the White House.

That would be a fantastic early 2021 xmas gift. Dare to dream....
    God, if Trump got taken in handcuffs on a perp walk out the front door of the White House into the back of a cop car squealing like a pig like Eric Cartman in South Park the entire time it might make 2020 worth it in the end.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    It would be best for the country if he does just that, but Trump can never admit defeat, so we'll have to see. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see him being "dragged out" of the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I hope the media is prepared to and actually does put Trump on mute/ignore come Jan. 20th. Not counting Newsmax/Q/Fox, every media outlet shouldn't even give Trump the time of day let alone any airtime.

I know Trump's daily rantings/fits will be a ratings boost but walking away from the old guy shouting at clouds would be the best thing for this country to move on.

And the media shouldn't be shocked when Trump

a) doesn't attend any formal functions for ex-Presidents
    b) tries to dictate policy from the sidelines
    c) interferes with foreign relations
    d) makes stupid demands of Republican congressmen to investigate every theory that floats across Newsmax's screen.
    e) doesn't portray a single ounce of dignity or grace as a living ex-President.
    f) fleeces his supporters and strokes his ego by continuing to hold his MAGA rallies.
    Your last point... maybe? Depending on how far his legal issues go he will have to be careful where he travels. I can see a situation where New York attempts to have him extradited on the charges they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Your last point... maybe? Depending on how far his legal issues go he will have to be careful where he travels. I can see a situation where New York attempts to have him extradited on the charges they have.
    My understanding is there is jack shit a redneck Trumpster state could do if there is a warrant for Trump's arrest in New York. That extradition between states is automatic and can't be stopped unless the state he is in has their own charges against him and they catch him first.

Edit* So Trump and his lawyers could fight extradition from say Florida to New York but for the most part Florida can't do shit to stop extradition beyond technicality fuckery.
    http://https://criminal.findlaw.com/...n-process.html
    Last edited by pathora44; 2020-12-17 at 09:16 AM.