Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Because the US is not China and it was entirely within Trump's power to take precautions that would have greatly minimized the extent to which COVID has infected the population here.

So yes, he is to blame.
    South Korea was reputed as having the best measures against COVID during the early portions of the crisis. Now they're in shambles as it is (i.e the COVID cult incident) because you can't stop the inevitability of a virus crawling up to kill thousands.

What you said implies it would only downplay the issue at hand and not solve it. It would inevitably have reached where we are now with the total uncertainty of a vaccine or the world going back to normal.

Also the world at large believes Trump is nothing to blame compared to China.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    It amazes me how many people get the Golden Rule wrong. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Weird flex, but ok...

I guess we'll see if he has any symptoms and how long it takes to burn through his system. Took me less than 24 hours without hydroxychloroquine.
    That's the same amount of time it takes for the Earth to rotate on its axis.

What a strange coincidence, don't you think?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-10-02 at 01:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    South Korea was reputed as having the best measures against COVID during the early portions of the crisis. Now they're in shambles as it is (i.e the COVID cult incident) because you can't stop the inevitability of a viral agent crawling up to kill thousands.
    Citation needed.

A second wave that was predicted and is still being handled several orders of magnitude better than the US is not evidence of "shambles" - it's evidence you don't understand how epidemiology works.

What you said implies it would only downplay the issue at hand and not solve it. It would inevitably have reached where we are now with the total uncertainty of a vaccine or the world going back to normal.
    I do wonder what it must be like living with the absence of ethical belief that would allow me to comfortably say that saving more than a hundred thousand lives is "downplaying" something.

More evidence that y'all only cared about 9/11 insofar as it was a cudgel to attack foreigners with, tbh. I'd say may Allah have mercy on the souls of such people but I'm hard pressed to believe they have any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

South Korea was reputed as having the best measures against COVID during the early portions of the crisis. Now they're in shambles as it is (i.e the COVID cult incident) because you can't stop the inevitability of a virus crawling up to kill thousands.

Yes 1800 active cases is exactly the same as 3.2m active cases!

Are you high right now?

Or, just lying?

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/

South Korea has had less deaths in the entirety of the epidemic, than the United States had... yesterday. Less than half as many.

They've had less total cases in the entirety of the epidemic, than the United States had... yesterday. Half as many.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-10-02 at 01:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Yes 1800 active cases is exactly the same as 3.2m active cases!
    You can tell that they're getting their information from snippets on social media and tabloid stories, also.

The "COVID cult" case was a factor in the first wave - that story broke in spring of this year, but because we can't acknowledge Trump's incompetence because reasons we need to conflate it with the predicted second wave to try and create the impression that efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID are ineffective.

I.e. the only defense this dude has of Trump's incompetence is attacking the value of expertise. It's really kind of sad, but typical of a political environment rife with anti-intellectualism like the US'.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Citation needed.

A second wave that was predicted and is still being handled several orders of magnitude better than the US is not evidence of "shambles" - it's evidence you don't understand how epidemiology works.

I do wonder what it must be like living with the absence of ethical belief that would allow me to comfortably say that saving more than a hundred thousand lives is "downplaying" something.

More evidence that y'all only cared about 9/11 insofar as it was a cudgel to attack foreigners with, tbh. I'd say may Allah have mercy on the souls of such people but I'm hard pressed to believe they have any.
    Trump's time has only shocked at how much people can hate their own country's leader when they're not a dictator or psychopathic tyrant. America is so divided right now it's crazy. If Biden wins, I can only wonder if it will be as bad as it has.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing this announcement has done for sure... It's further exposed to the rest of us the character of the kind of people who oppose the president in this election. "See, Trump has shown America your true colors, unfortunately" to borrow an idea from Christopher Nolan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump's time has only shocked at how much people can hate their own country's leader when they're not a dictator or psychopathic tyrant. America is so divided right now it's crazy. If Biden wins, I can only wonder if it will be as bad as it has.
    Seeing a conspicuous absence of evidence for your earlier nonsense claims.

One thing this announcement has done for sure... It's further exposed to the rest of us the character of the kind of people who oppose the president in this election. "See, Trump has shown America your true colors, unfortunately" to borrow an idea from Christopher Nolan.
    Well, he is a lying racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is it with right wingers and constantly referring to movies as a basis for their moral beliefs?

First "only a sith deals in absolutes", to "this weapon is your life", and now this garbage. Can y'all at least pick some actually decent films to watch, or is The Color of Pomegranates on the "to burn" list?

At worst, it shows that the the "kind of people that oppose the president" are capable of acting exactly like the president...

Looks like the post debate surveys are in and Trump's chances of winning have dropped even more.

Prior to the debate he had a 23% chance of winning the election, now that has dropped to just 19%. Which is rather low compared to his 35% he had at this time during the 2016 election, which 538 later moved up to 40% the week of the election due to the FBI's attack on Clinton.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tion-forecast/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    At worst, it shows that the the "kind of people that oppose the president" are capable of acting exactly like the president...
    Let us know when any of us have spent the past six months downplaying COVID to the tune of over 200,000 death, also!

They really thought you had a point here, huh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't they be behaving "better" than the president?

Shouldn't the President be setting a better example?

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know when any of us have spent the past six months downplaying COVID to the tune of over 200,000 death, also!

They really thought you had a point here, huh.
    I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but that's not for supporters of the President to cast judgement.

Hypocrisy is an explicit sin, hun.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning here.
    I did, corrected - point still stands about the absence of hypocrisy.

Folks aren't celebrating that Trump got COVID. They're celebrating that a hypocrite got his comeuppance.

Legitimately I have no idea what happens now.

Trump getting Covid is basically unprecedented for a presidential election.

My intuition says that if they handle things correctly and come out with a strong response to Covid now it could help Trump... But that would require Trump to admit he was wrong.

So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we'll see if he has any symptoms and how long it takes to burn through his system. Took me less than 24 hours without hydroxychloroquine.
    [Infraction]
    You mean when you got the disease before it even entered the USA?
    Putin khuliyo