The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Kamala "if you have breast cancer, they're coming for you" what
    Pre-existing conditions. The GOP wants them gone, removing millions from healthcare coverage.

Btw, COVID-19 will count as a pre-existing condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Are you like...new to the US, or something? There's no way someone can be living in this country and be blithely ignorant of the fact that science is not automatically a winning issue here.

If this were a policy election Elizabeth Warren would be the candidate, sweetheart. Suck it up like the rest of us did.
    It's not science - it's principles. At least people would respect dems even if they didn't agree with their fracking stance if they said what they (supposedly) believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to eat my words though.
    No you wouldn't, and attaching shitty disclaimers like this doesn't excuse the fact you seem to think the best use of your time in a setting with an active pandemic and a very real threat of fascism is bitching about neoliberals rather than the actual fascists. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Are you like...new to the US, or something? There's no way someone can be living in this country and be blithely ignorant of the fact that science is not automatically a winning issue here.

If this were a policy election Elizabeth Warren would be the candidate, sweetheart. Suck it up like the rest of us did.
    I'm not even an US person and i know how proudly anti science a huge % of their folk is. You cant win there with science, when you have at the very least 10-20% who believe the earth to be 6000 years old.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    So... where the people who said Obama took too much credit for Bin Ladin?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

just a trump supporting concern troll, nothing to see here.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least people would respect dems even if they didn't agree with their fracking stance if they said what they (supposedly) believe.
    You. You would "respect dems."

Your opinion isn't generalisable, lol.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

"Trump got NATO allies to spend more on defense."

Please ignore that the agreement for them to spend 2% of GDP was before Trump became president. So once again, thanks Obama.

No you wouldn't, and attaching shitty disclaimers like this doesn't excuse the fact you seem to think the best use of your time in a setting with an active pandemic and a very real threat of fascism is bitching about neoliberals rather than the actual fascists. Lol.
    Remember, the holier than thou progressives were (in part) the ones that costed the republicans (the lefties in this case) the spanish civil war

You know what I hate about VP debates? They sound like they're simping for the leads on their tickets.

Also, Pence can't shut his fucking mouth with the lies.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    OK - I can't wait for dems to take all the levers of power and then do nothing with it. I'd love to eat my words though.
    I hope you do. In the best possible way, if that makes sense.

Also, as someone who lives in the US, I can tell you that if you agree / disagree with fracking, we already know who you're voting for.

Undecided voters don't give a shit about fracking, but they do give a shit about politicians sticking to their guns. So the Dems only have more to gain by being principled rather than trying to peel off a couple of David Frums in Chevy Chase.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I'm not even an US person and i know how proudly anti science a huge % of their folk is. You cant win there with science, when you have at the very least 10-20% who believe the earth to be 6000 years old.
    They believe that literally. With all their hearts. Praise be.

But seriously, Asimov called it years ago. We are literally fighting blithering idiots who think ignorant opinions are equal to science.

Also, as someone who lives in the US, I can tell you that if you agree / disagree with fracking, we already know who you're voting for.

Undecided voters don't give a shit about fracking, but they do give a shit about politicians sticking to their guns. So the Dems only have more to gain by being principled rather than trying to peel off a couple of David Frums in Chevy Chase.
    Yeah no. This is concern trolling

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They believe that literally. With all their hearts. Praise be.

But seriously, Asimov called it years ago. We are literally fighting blithering idiots who think ignorant opinions are equal to science.
    Dude, i think that we have a higher percentage of people here, in relative terms, that believe in deep time, than there.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not science - it's principles. At least people would respect dems even if they didn't agree with their fracking stance if they said what they (supposedly) believe.
    No, they wouldn't.

Again, are you unfamiliar with the science-denying vein that promulgates the republican party in the US? These are the kinds of meatheads that coal roll because it pisses off "teh libz."

Do you think anti-maskers "respect" us sane individuals that wear masks? No, they look down their noses (which they can do because they're unmasked) at everyone else because they think that their uninformed lack of knowledge on a subject makes them superior.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh come on - this is why people hate democrats, because they don't actually give a shit about anything. If you actually care about the environment, say fracking is bad and you will ban it. You're not even in office yet and you're already compromising your position.

All these green policies will be rolled over when President Tom Cotton rolls in in 2024 with a full republican government. So unless you have something meaningful now, please shut up - but we know the Dems are just as beholden to capital as the republicans, so they can't actually buck the status quo that is required to actually save our species.

It's all just half measures and means tested crap that we hope will come to fruition 20 years from now (if we make it that long).

Kamala "the west coast *closes eyes walking through unmanaged forests* is *steps over almond, pistachio, and grape growers* burning"
    $4 a barrel Saudi Oil killed fracking, there's no reason to even talk about it. Talking about fracking is like talking about clean coal.

While this is definitely better than the shit show last week, it is a good reminder of why politics still sucked ass before Trump.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    and the mod is pisse

grats Pence, you are representing the Trump admin in ways you don't understand

heh, but even he has to the sense to avoid talking about abortion
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

I've been half listening in the other room.

Did Pence end up interrupting so much that the moderator had to Chris Wallace him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, why are you pretending the Democratic wishwashing on fracking isn't already a known factor and that environmentalists support Biden anyway because they're much more likely to get concessions from a neoliberal administration than a proto-fascist one.

Undecided voters don't give a shit about fracking, but they do give a shit about politicians sticking to their guns.
    Citation needed. If they're undecided enough to vote Republican then they most certainly do not actually care and are being selective about what issues they demand integrity regarding.

So the Dems only have more to gain by being principled rather than trying to peel off a couple of David Frums in Chevy Chase.
    Conveniently ignoring the political deathtrap that would ensue from 'ban fracking' being immediately interpreted as 'get rid of American jobs' when fracking's a non-issue since the price of oil crashed.

Either you don't live in the US or this is your first electoral cycle, if you're not aware of this fact.