Storage upgrade SSD to m.2 NVME - z97 board

Im running out of storage space and looking to upgrade storage.

I have a MSI z97 gaming 9 board

With a Samsung 950 EVO 500gb SSD

Ive read that the z97 boards do support NVME However from my understanding theres some issues with it, one of which is due to my board it would only run at 2x and not the standard x4. Ive also read some problems about it not being recognized as a bootable device or it not being detected in BIOS.

If I just need to buy a 960 EVO 1tb SSD, then I will but Im trying to keep this change as "future-ish proof" as possible. Upgrading to a 970 EVO NVME m.2 x4 SSD now, would allow me to reuse it on the full upgrade I plan on doing next year. year?

Am I understanding this correctly or have I missed something on whether the NVME will work with my board? Any and all help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by babalou1; 2020-05-25 at 01:16 AM.

m.2 is just superior tech. should work fine for now and in 3 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy Samsung drives, they're overpriced for consumers. Get a Crucial drive instead.

That said, if you can get it running now there's no reason to not bring forward your storage to your next build

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Don't buy Samsung drives, they're overpriced for consumers. Get a Crucial drive instead.

That said, if you can get it running now there's no reason to not bring forward your storage to your next build

Samsung/Crucial/Intel debate aside...

Bolded for my main question. Thats the issue. Ive read the press release that says it will work with my current board, but then ive read conflicting reports from actual users that says they have had lots of problems getting it to work.
    Last edited by babalou1; 2020-05-25 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post

Bolded for my main question. Thats the issue. Ive read the press release that says it will work with my current board, but then ive read conflicting reports from actual users that says they have had lots of problems getting it to work.
    Should just be plug and play.

And if you want it to be the both drive, make sure bios recognizes, and set it first in boot order. And install windows on it.

Worst case is you may have to update the bios.

You will also not ever, ever notice the difference in speed between 2x an 4x. Ever.

Its sub 1 second differences.

Its noticeable in bechmarks and in extremely large file transfers and nothing else.

You wont even really notice a difference between NVMe (even PCIe 4.0) and a SATAIII SSD in most cases.

Now going to NVMe is still preferrable just because the cost isn't a lot higher anymore (it was, previously) and it removes cabling issues completely, and if you need a larger drive, you might as well.

So long as you aren't just replacing your SATA SSD with NVMe because you think it will be an "upgrade" in performance. It wont be.

10+ Year Old Account

I personally haven't tried NVMe or m.2 on a z97 board, but it should just be plug and play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Its noticeable in bechmarks and in extremely large file transfers and nothing else.
    Just to add onto this, *singular* files. If you move 1TB of files, but each file is only 1MB big, you won't see a difference. If you move a singular 1TB file, then you will (You'll see a difference at ~10GB and up in size)

I knew it *should* be plug and play with an updated BIOS but i wasnt sure if it would even work.

Thank you everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew it *should* be plug and play with an updated BIOS but i wasnt sure if it would even work.

Thank you everyone.
    It should work. That's what I've found online at least. But "should" and "will" aren't always the same..

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It should work. That's what I've found online at least. But "should" and "will" aren't always the same..
    lmao. Hence the should lol. Gotta love it.