Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Let's talk about TITAN

obviously we know that it was scrapped because the developers couldn't agree on where to take it....but i was wondering...

did Blizzard ever talk about what kinda game they wanted to make? what were the disagreements?

was it an existing universe or a brand new one? was there ever any concept art released for this thing?

IS THERE ANY INTEL AT ALL REGARDING TITAN?!
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    obviously we know that it was scrapped because the developers couldn't agree on where to take it....but i was wondering...

did Blizzard ever talk about what kinda game they wanted to make? what were the disagreements?

was it an existing universe or a brand new one? was there ever any concept art released for this thing?

There were making an FPSMMO. One in which you split time being a mundane citizen working and the other part fighting off the bad guys to protect your city. At least that is what the main concept was. For example if you had fishing as a profession you would fish and seek the fish at your store during the day and fight during the night.

That was the original concept. Pretty sure that would never have made it live.

10+ Year Old Account

Titan was intended to be a next generation MMO that failed because they didn't control the project, it grew out of control and tried to do too many things at once. Kind of like Star Citizen except they eventually realised it had become unmanageable.

The core of Titan was repurposed as Overwatch though.

Some people speculate that Titan is what changed Blizzard's corporate culture, with it's failure burning out some of the leading creatives within the company such as Chris Metzen but that is, in the end, just speculation.

There is actually alot of information about this topic already. So much that it would be pointless for me to try and list it all, best bet is to google it
    To answer some of your major questions:

- The plan was to make an MMOFPS type game
    - A new universe
    - Disagree is maybe not the word I would use, rather they did not find "the fun" in combination with that the team was so big that they more or less were working on fragmented pieces that didn't come together into a game.

Fun fact; some parts of Titan were recycled into Overwatch, or rather from the ashes of Titan came Overwatch.
    I think Tracer was some concept art they had in Titan.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Overwatch.

Literally the concept became Overwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasse View Post
    There is actually alot of information about this topic already. So much that it would be pointless for me to try and list it all, best bet is to google it
    To answer some of your major questions:

- The plan was to make an MMOFPS type game
    - A new universe
    - Disagree is maybe not the word I would use, rather they did not find "the fun" in combination with that the team was so big that they more or less were working on fragmented pieces that didn't come together into a game.

Fun fact; some parts of Titan were recycled into Overwatch, or rather from the ashes of Titan came Overwatch.
    I think Tracer was some concept art they had in Titan.
    Tracer was a class in Titan. They used parts of the class to make her and kept the name. I believe there was some concept art of a character that looked an awful lot like Mcree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Overwatch.

Not true. Fragments, most likely the FPS combat and some of the lore. The concept was a social FPSMMO. Nothing close to a hero character team shooter.

Overwatch.

I heard that there was plans to add in a wrestling mini-game or was it soccer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Fragments, most likely the FPS combat and some of the lore. The concept was a social FPSMMO. Nothing close to a hero character team shooter.
    concept WAS yes. what it became was Overwatch. They had already spoken about it at BlizzCon multiple times.

concept WAS yes. what it became was Overwatch. They had already spoken about it at BlizzCon multiple times.
    Yes and if Titan were to have been no one would have looked at it and say it resembled OW. People believe Blizzard stripped out the MMO and RPG aspects of Titan and OW was right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Yes and if Titan were to have been no one would have looked at it and say it resembled OW. People believe Blizzard stripped out the MMO and RPG aspects of Titan and OW was right there.
    Good thing Titan never was, so your entire point is Irrelevant because Overwatch exists and they've already talked about it all.

Good thing Titan never was, so your entire point is Irrelevant because Overwatch exists and they've already talked about it all.
    I know. The issue is that people think OW is what Titan was just without the MMO aspect. It not. Not even close. They took a tiny fraction and applied it to OW and then expanded upon that small sliver and made OW. At best, the connections to Titan are that it has 1st person shooting, the name Tracer and the time resetting ability Tracer has in OW, and Mcree's looks, which looks similar to a concept art for Titan. Both games take place in the near future. As for that, not much is similar.

So the concept of Titan did not literally become OW. The concepts of both games are completely different.

I think i heard once that "Reaper" was going to be a class before being reworked into the hero class.

I have no source for this i just validly remembering hearing it

If overmeme was the best the could salvage from titan I'd say it probably wouldn't have been a super compelling game.

From what I know, Titan was going to be their next big title kinda like how WoW has been their behemoth for the past decade. But they couldn't control the scope of the game so it was better to have it cancelled and then transition it to Overwatch. It was going to be a MMORTS with a wide amount of variety skills, but it would have been to cluttered and confusing. It would've been interesting to see some pictures of concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    If overmeme was the best the could salvage from titan I'd say it probably wouldn't have been a super compelling game.
    You're right, that must be why Overwatch is such an overwhelming failure. Afterall, they're only making a sequel to one of their best selling games of all time.

Its overwatch. At least, overwatch was a gamemode in titan then they scrapped titan and used assets from titan to create overwatch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean much of it is speculation, but the bottom line - they likely realized it did not click.

Whether scrapping it was a mistake or not, I'd give a benefit of the doubt and say that probably it's good they did scrap it - you don't just cancel such huge projects, very likely they had some real reasons to believe it won't work out.

But hey, it did lead to Overwatch, which is a pretty damn successful title, despite some negative Nancy weirdos here trying to say otherwise.

Titan was scrapped because most mmo players don't want to play mmos. They want to play WoW. And Blizz realized this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Look at this guy, he and his 2 friends dislike Overwatch so it's officially a bad game and "meme". It's not like it's one of the most successful games on planet earth. Saltysquidoon said it's shit everyone, so that's the final judgement on that game. Make sure to also pass verdicts on other popular games so we can all know which are bad and which are good.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe part of the reason they ended up scrapping it was they realized releasing another MMO, no matter how different it may have been from WoW, would just lead to them competing with themselves. Turning some of it's elements into a different genre was a much better idea.

Not much left to discuss. There are tons of videos and articles on the subject. It's "old news" at this point.

Mike Morhaime, one of Blizzard's co-founders and its former president, was on hand for the Gamelab conference in Barcelona, and gave a talk that spanned his career at the company. Morhaime discussed why Blizzard cancels about half of the games it starts, and the icy reception fans gave to the announcement of Diablo Immortal in November.

Eurogamer has the full breakdown on the talk, but one part that sticks out is Morhaime's comments on Project Titan. This was meant to be a groundbreaking new MMO, changing the landscape the way World of Warcraft had done years before. But Titan grew too big and ambitious for even Blizzard to handle.

"We failed to control scope," Morhaime said today. "It was a brand new universe, and it was going to be the next generation MMO that did all sorts of different things, it had different modes. We were sort of building two games in parallel, and it really struggled to come together."

Morhaime and other studio leaders had to make the tough decision to pull the plug on Titan, which Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan has said came with a "horrific" sense of failure after years of successful Blizzard franchises.

But it was from the wreckage of Titan that Overwatch was eventually built.

"We thought we could make a really compelling game with much tighter scope control," Morhaime said. "And I think it was probably one of the best decisions that we made. We took something that wasn't going to ship for a very long time, might never have shipped, and turned it into an awesome game."

Indeed, Overwatch has been a resounding success for Blizzard. But it's hard not to wonder what might have been if Titan had eventually reached players. Morhaime says, though, that Blizzard's philosophy is only to ship "great" games—a message the company took from the success of the original Diablo after multiple delays in 1996.

"The lesson that we took from that is that it's way more important that the game is great—it's way less important that you hit the date," he said.