Unreal Engine 5 on PS5

Mad amazing.
    Feast your eyes on this tech demo running live on a PS5

Mad amazing, yet still runs at 30FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Mad amazing, yet still runs at 30FPS.
    You could probably fry an egg on it if they went 60 fps.
    Or VR for that matter.

But still - quite impressed with the demo.
    Hope they did implement some VR stuff, so that tech can keep improving as well - better for PC as well that way.

Detail of that cave is something...

Looks neat, but it's still a ways off. UE5 isn't even going to be usable until 2021 at the earliest, and I'm skeptical that we'll see anything that good on final hardware/software. Tech demo's are tech demo's after all.

Holy shit it's gorgeous and if games look half that good I'll be impressed as hell. And hearing Sweeny hype up the SSD storage in the PS5 and what it'll allow developers to do is pretty exciting.

I'm amused at the heavy Tomb Raider influences for the tech demo though. They even got the British accent and everything : P

It doesn't look like anything proprietary engines(w/e Sony 1st party studios use, RAGE, Ninja Theory, REngine etc) aren't already doing outside of improved lighting which you would expect next gen. Then again I never been much of a fan on unreal, and KH3 is pretty much the only game I think that ever broke the glass ceiling on Unreal games looking like Unreal games.

Also hope to God fighting games do not use this shit, because Unreal 4 was a shit show for them and took a massive amount of patches for input lag to not be total garbage in both SFV and Tekken 7 among others.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-05-13 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as I can get 60+ frames in games w/ this engine while looking like this, I'll be set. Upgraded to an i9-9900k fall of last year and am eager to upgrade to a 3070 when they eventually release. Could careless about the ps5 or xbox 2.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I wonder what's the method they figured out the render billions of triangles so seamlessly.

At this point, I'm guessing technical limitations won't prevent artists from implementing the vision. The only thing stopping artists will be their creativity (and how easy the tools are to use).

Will be interesting to see what we get once developers start getting familiar with the engine, and the PS5 tech in general.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Could careless about the ps5 or xbox 2.
    So how much do you care about the PS5 and XBOX then? Out of curiosity. If you can care less, then you care some, if you didn't care then you wouldn't be able to care less, so how much would you say you care right now?

Sorry to be a dick btw, I didn't mean to be, just can't help it when I see that phrase XD please forgive me.
    Last edited by tehealadin; 2020-05-13 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

I can't wait for games to actually look somewhat like this by the time Unreal Engine 6 rolls around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I wonder what's the method they figured out the render billions of triangles so seamlessly.

At this point, I'm guessing technical limitations won't prevent artists from implementing the vision. The only thing stopping artists will be their creativity (and how easy the tools are to use).
    To be fair, polygon/tri count has been becoming less and less of a barrier for years now. There's other things right now that are way, way more demanding. Ray tracing, for example.
    Still, I don't think we'll ever get to the point where we'll just sculpt something in ZBrush and plop it into a game like that. It may be done here to flaunt the technical capabilities, but at the end of the day, it remains a waste of space, when it could be 10 times less heavy with a little work.

Looks amazing, if they can get this kind of visuals and performance out soon the next generation of games is going to be a real visual treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm amused at the heavy Tomb Raider influences for the tech demo though. They even got the British accent and everything : P
    Looks like the result of a wild and confusing night between Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn

Imagine if they made wow or diablo with this engine ^^

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Imagine if they made wow or diablo with this engine ^^
    Oh don't worry once it releases to the public fully we will gets 100s of shitty youtube videos of "wow in unreal 5" and they will look just as terrible as the ones in unreal 4 did.