Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Was Ny'alotha what you imagined it would be?

Not for me , I always thought Ny'alotha was going to be this dark place - a world zone tbh - (somehow) at the bottom of the ocean a zone so separated from the sky and sunlight. Definitely not a bunch of imaginary pyramids with an obelisk here and there in an almost volcanic scenario.
    How about you, what was Ny'alotha like in your head?

Not at all, I thought this pyramid scenery of the raid itself would be 9.0 and include the old zones. Expected, just as you, that it would be something completely different and strange, but a zone by itself of course.

I mean, it looked like The Black Empire stuff so yes. Did I think it would just be a raid and not an expansion though? No.

Unfortunately, yes.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Yeah they kind of wasted the whole bottom of the ocean city with no light potential.

I thought it would be an entire zone with its own questline.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected a whole new eldritch zone with the raid in it. The setting is too good to only be used in the raid.

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp

It was everythin I expected AND MORE!

Blizzard really outdid themselve with this expansion, 8.3 especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

neither Ny alotha or nazjatar were what i expected, Blizz ruuined 2 hyped zones in 1 expansion

gg ez

nope.. both Nazjatar and Nyalotha were a disappointment

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. I thought it would be some lightless village at the bottom of the ocean full of weird citzens, housing some secret of the Old Gods.

Instead it's just N'Zoth's Castle.

Nazjatar was another disappointment. The great Naga City, heart of their empire, eclipsing Zin'azshari...
    ...Turns out it's just a bunch of seashells sticking out of the sand. Even Suramar was greater.

The Black Empire more or less deserved its own expansion. I get the feeling 8.3 got put up as a last ditch because it was one of the few remaining unaddressed realms. And then they just decided to push ahead with new lore into and beyond BFA & Shadowlands, sort of a Cataclysm for WoW lore...

10+ Year Old Account
    The aesthetic of it matched what I thought it would look like. The red and orange coloration, the dead looking sky with gargantuan tentacles in the horizon, tall black spires and evil-looking architecture (I'm unsure what kind of cultural nod the Old God-like architecture goes to) and everything.

^Warcraft Chronicles depiction of what a typical day during the reign of the Black Empire looked like.

^I think they did very well with maintaining that look. Perhaps not as "dark and gloomy" as the Chronicles art but they can only do so much to represent that in-game with how the general art style in the game is.

In my mind if they expanded on Ny'alotha, making it more than just an instanced raid, we could be able to see legions and legions of Old God minions marching in the background.

The visual of physically seeing N'Zoth in the background during the Carapace of N'Zoth boss fight is fucking cool. I think it would even cooler if we Ny'alotha was an actual zone - or continent of zones - that you would always see N'Zoth in the background (or skybox) so no matter where you were questing you knew what was waiting for you.

It should have definitely been more than just a one-and-done raid. But I understand that the majority of players do not like the theme of Old Gods and their theme. That's understandable.

What would have been cool would have been if Ny'alotha's geometry were non-Euclidean. I understand this is probably incompatible with the basics of the game engine, though.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The lava felt a little off.
    I liked the first "inside part" be4 we get outside and sees the pyramides and the lava.
    Thay could easily just had us decending inside that strucure floor by floor. with some slight change in scenery the further down we go. More shadows, more fog, more tentacles and spikes. And at the bottom, nzoth.

- - - Updated - - -

i thought ny'alotha would be the place all of the old gods dwelled. Not just n''zoth.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Visually, yes.

But it deserved being an expansion by itself. Not a raid (a bad one too). The N'zoth fight is just a watered-down Yogg-Saron. Wasted potential.

Not even close.

The entire N'zoth storyline was a letdown of epic proportions.

"Hurr durr I'm an Old God, and I can't be killed while on Azeroth! So now that I'm finally free after millennia, the first thing I'll do is go somewhere I CAN be killed, because apparently that's what being known as the smartest and most cunning of all the Old Gods means."

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of aesthetics I think it's pretty much what I expected given previous concept art of the Black Empire.

I did, however, expect it to be a whole zone or even expansion, not just a single raid and tiny bits of it appearing in two whole zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im not a huge Fan of this Nyalotha, Old God, Black Empire, Tentacles and Faceless Stuff, so im happy its just the Raid and not a whole Questarea or even a Expansion. But many Guildmates and ingame Friends are a bit disappointet.

Signature by Aryiana

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd always expected it to be like a sunken island city that was raised to the surface rather than a dimension unto itself. More Carcosa than R'lyeh in the end, but it's all good. It *looks* great, visually it's very cool. I was always hoping for an entire zone rather than a single raid though. I do like the sunset aesthetic, I hadn't expected that, though I should have given the Chronicle art.