what a take to focus on when the issue isn't she wasn't read her Miranda rights more than it was she is an elderly woman with dementia who was brutalized by police.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    what a take to focus on when the issue isn't she wasn't read her Miranda rights more than it was she is an elderly woman with dementia who was brutalized by police.
    Police brutality is never ok, and when it occurs it should be heavily punished. However I see too often people with the misconception that when arrested you have to be read your rights which is false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Police brutality is never ok, and when it occurs it should be heavily punished. However I see too often people with the misconception that when arrested you have to be read your rights which is false.
    The Miranda declaration isn't even about the suspect's rights. They had those rights all along, and would retain them regardless of being Mirandized.

What the Miranda declaration does is remind the suspect of those rights, so they cannot plead ignorance and police malfeasance when it comes to questioning.

It's used so pre-emptively to ensure that police officers are protected and can probe for information and have that information hold up in court, where it would likely be deemed inadmissible and fruit of the poison tree if officers pressed the suspect prior to Mirandizing them.

Slap the cuffs on and shout "where are the drugs, man?" and if he tells you "in the trunk", you've probably rendered those drugs inadmissible as evidence and completely fucked your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The Miranda declaration isn't even about the suspect's rights. They had those rights all along, and would retain them regardless of being Mirandized.

What the Miranda declaration does is remind the suspect of those rights, so they cannot plead ignorance and police malfeasance when it comes to questioning.

It's used so pre-emptively to ensure that police officers are protected and can probe for information and have that information hold up in court, where it would likely be deemed inadmissible and fruit of the poison tree if officers pressed the suspect prior to Mirandizing them.

Slap the cuffs on and shout "where are the drugs, man?" and if he tells you "in the trunk", you've probably rendered those drugs inadmissible as evidence and completely fucked your case.
    Yup, it is usually why every step of the way you get read the rights so you can end up getting read them multiple times through the entire arresting process, they want to make sure they cover their asses. People should also be aware of the tactic of police not arresting you right away asking you questions, getting their answer and then arresting you. If you have not been arrested you do not have to have Miranda read to you, even if you are being questioned.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2021-04-27 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Yup, it is usually why every step of the way you get read the rights so you can end up getting read them multiple times through the entire arresting process, they want to make sure they cover their asses. People should also be aware of the tactic of police not arresting you right away asking you questions, getting their answer and then arresting you. If you have not been arrested you do not have to have Miranda read to you.
    Of course, if you haven't been arrested, you don't have to tell the cops a damned thing.

Never talk to the police.

(Bonus: the video covers this from the citizen and police sides)

Of course, if you haven't been arrested, you don't have to tell the cops a damned thing.

Never talk to the police.

(Bonus: the video covers this from the citizen and police sides)
    Yeah this video is great. Always ask for a lawyer, the amount of people I see getting arrested on shows like the first 48 that would of got away if they kept their mouth shut is staggering. You also have numerous cases of people talking themselves into arrests even when they are completely innocent.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...yRiOBGFZaravvc

Took 2 fucking years for this guy to be fired. Using a bullshit excuse to pull a black man over as an inspection sticker, and then used another bullshit excuse to arrest him as they smelled weed, just another common tactic they have used with other black people. What is really bullshit is that the guy got $20k, but the Virginia AG claimed nothing bad happened.

Now, there is an interesting twist to this story, is that this cop has a group that he follows on his Facebook page, called the Chepo Team. They have posts about being pro-Trump, which isn't surprising considering this guy looks like he is a roided out former military member, but some of their own posts from this group, is homophobic, claiming that Obama had "low testosterone" compared to Trump, claiming the country is now a 3rd world country, even though our economy is better now than it was under Trump, claiming that the jury in the Chauvin trial were threatened without any evidence, claiming that Chauvin did nothing wrong, claiming that their "common sense" finds Chauvin not guilty, posting anti-vax bullshit, supporting that conspiracy shittard and convicted felon James O'Keefe, and the posts go on and on.

This all really isn't surprising, but the fact that the cop was fired, 2 years after the fact, after they claimed he did nothing wrong, but settled for $20k, is hilarious. And I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has a white hood in his closet somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's up with the Kyle Rittenhouse case?

Haven't heard a thing about it lately.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What's up with the Kyle Rittenhouse case?

Haven't heard a thing about it lately.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...onths-n1260503

May 17 status hearing with the trial delayed until Nov. 1

Only development is the cop that got fired for donating to Rittenhouse saying that he did nothing wrong and every rank and file cop supports him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Only development is the cop that got fired for donating to Rittenhouse saying that he did nothing wrong and every rank and file cop supports him.
    Honestly, they do.

Every single cop I have talked to on the issue (5 officers), fucking loves Rittenhouse. They don't care that he's a piece of shit, they love him. Then again, they also loved George Zimmerman.

https://www.progress-index.com/story...or/7364364002/

Yo, I'm glad that this racist fuck got fired but like, name her so the local businesses know not to hire a vile racist. Unless they want to because that's their crowd.

Also, fuck the cops who lied and said the white lady didn't trespass on the Black woman's property. Fire their asses, and bring up every officer involved in the decision to execute a drug search at her house up for review. If it's found that the only cause was the report from the racist neighbor, fire their asses too.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.progress-index.com/story...or/7364364002/

Yo, I'm glad that this racist fuck got fired but like, name her so the local businesses know not to hire a vile racist. Unless they want to because that's their crowd.

Also, fuck the cops who lied and said the white lady didn't trespass on the Black woman's property. Fire their asses, and bring up every officer involved in the decision to execute a drug search at her house up for review. If it's found that the only cause was the report from the racist neighbor, fire their asses too.
    Cue the inevitable whining about how unfair it is to face consequences for one's actions.

Sing it with me folks;

If you're racist and you're fired it's your fault
    *CLAP* *CLAP*

If you're racist and you're fired it's your fault
    *CLAP* *CLAP*

If you're shouting out "White Power" and you're jobless the next hour,
    If you're racist and you're fired, it's your fault.
    *CLAP* *CLAP*

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...fatal-n1265556

North Carolina police seem to be keen on keeping that blue wall of silence, while lying loudly on TV about what they want to happen.

The Sheriff, Tommy Wooten II, put out a video statement in which they claim to want the footage released to the public, but the court filing by the Sheriff's office specifically requests that the footage be released to Khalil Farabee, the adult son of the deceased Andrew Brown.

The judge handling the case apparently wants to make damn sure that as few people know about it as possible, and the DA clearly doesn't want public pressure to be on him to actually prosecute any of the officers involved.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...250998794.html
    ELIZABETH CITY

A Superior Court judge declined Wednesday to release to the public the body camera footage of the shooting and killing of Andrew Brown Jr. by Pasquotank County sheriff’s deputies last week.

Some of Brown’s family will be allowed to view, but not get copies, of the videos. Superior Court Judge Jeff Foster said the videos will be disclosed to Brown’s son Khalil Ferebee, a few immediate family members and one attorney within 10 days.

Officers’ faces, name tags and any other identifying information will be blurred or redacted in those videos, the judge said. There are four body camera videos and one dash cam video from a vehicle that the family will be able to view.

The videos will be held from release to the family for no less than 30 days and no more than 45 days, which will allow ongoing investigations to be completed, Foster said. The court will consider release at that point, depending on any potential charges.

H.P. Williams, a lawyer representing deputies in the case, clarified that release is delayed 30 to 45 days, but if charges are brought, the footage likely will not be shown until trial.

Foster’s ruling at the Pasquotank County Courthouse runs counter to arguments from both the sheriff’s office and the county, who pushed for the release of the video to the family and the public.

Brown, 42, was shot and killed in his car outside his home in Elizabeth City a week ago as deputies were serving search and arrest warrants related to felony drug charges.

The incident happened less than 24 hours after Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, was convicted of the murder of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man.

The following article has some more detailed context of the autopsies, and some statements from family members and attorneys who've seen the 20 seconds of bodycam footage that the court released (the rest of the footage is being withheld)

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...250973724.html
    A PRIVATE AUTOPSY REPORT
    Sellers said the family arranged an independent autopsy “because the medical report we got just said, ‘shot to the head,’ and we wanted to make sure that it was clearly denoted that he was shot in the back of the head.”

Attorneys Wayne Kendall and Crump described the details of the autopsy report with diagrams showing five bullet wounds, with the fatal shot killing Brown within minutes, they said. It caused him to lose control of his vehicle and crash into a tree, they said.

The bullet went into the base of his neck and “perforated and penetrated his skill and his brain,” Crump said.

The state’s official death certificate for Brown, which was filed Tuesday, also said the cause of death is “penetrating gunshot wound of the head” and that he died in minutes.

Hell, the only reason I'm even aware of this case is because my local news station mentioned the judge's ruling on the footage in the news-scrawl.

My take on this case is that a group of pissed-off sheriff deputies decided to vent their anger over the Chauvin verdict, and now they're trying to cover up the fact that they murdered someone. The only public footage we have thus far is in the street camera footage, which shows the deputies literally driving up riding in the back of a pickup truck. The DA, Andrew Womble, seems to be trying to avoid pressure to bring charges likely because he is running for Superior Court Judge himself this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post

North Carolina police seem to be keen on keeping that blue wall of silence, while lying loudly on TV about what they want to happen.
    Cool, so they're not just murderous fascists, but dishonest murderous fascists.

Any time police are hesitant to release body camera footage, or release only a snipped of body camera footage, they're fuckin lying.

Aren't their laws about not being secured in the back of a pickup truck? I mean, you roll up like that looking for a fuckin gunfight, you're gonna see anything and everything as a trigger point for a gunfight and just start blasting and end up shooting someone in the back of the head.

Law enforcement needs to be burned to the ground, with every officer released, and rebuilt from the ground up.

Fleeing the police isn't a death sentence. We do not live in Megacity 1. Police are not Judges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post

The Sheriff, Tommy Wooten II, put out a video statement in which they claim to want the footage released to the public, but the court filing by the Sheriff's office specifically requests that the footage be released to Khalil Farabee, the adult son of the deceased Andrew Brown.

The judge handling the case apparently wants to make damn sure that as few people know about it as possible, and the DA clearly doesn't want public pressure to be on him to actually prosecute any of the officers involved.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...250998794.html

The following article has some more detailed context of the autopsies, and some statements from family members and attorneys who've seen the 20 seconds of bodycam footage that the court released (the rest of the footage is being withheld)

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...250973724.html

Hell, the only reason I'm even aware of this case is because my local news station mentioned the judge's ruling on the footage in the news-scrawl.

My take on this case is that a group of pissed-off sheriff deputies decided to vent their anger over the Chauvin verdict, and now they're trying to cover up the fact that they murdered someone. The only public footage we have thus far is in the street camera footage, which shows the deputies literally driving up riding in the back of a pickup truck. The DA, Andrew Womble, seems to be trying to avoid pressure to bring charges likely because he is running for Superior Court Judge himself this year.
    This is what we mean when we the problems are systemic.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    In better news, federal charges against those who killed Ahmaud Arbery

https://t.co/VVSKwsOMJy

Garland’s not screwing around in some of these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post

These charges are on top of the state charges that they murdered him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post

I mean, that's the case where they literally drove down and gang-murdered a black guy for daring to jog through their neighbourhood. It was a straight-up lynching, for the "crime" of "being black and in our racist sight".

Those three potatoes should never see the sun again, as far as I'm concerned.

Literally cite any comparable case. Just one.
    This is the closest, well-known case I could find. Or bothered to find. Take your pick. In the US, not only would you be charged with their murder, you'd be charged with robbery for stealing the stuff they stole back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account

Technically, he didn't do anything wrong. Imo, he should not have been fired. However a heavy investigation into his communications would be reasonable.

Unless that was all done in part of his firing.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.