Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do you deal with life knowing that all you do is meaningless?

What prevents you from descending into lethargy and "accomplishing" nothing more than base desires and fulfilling basic needs?

What makes you aspire to want to do more?

I don't care. I just do shit. Try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just don't instead. Accomplish meaningful things that last longer than you live. Ezpz
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should read Ecclesiastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "meaning" is whatever you want it to be.

Sure, I'm going to be forgotten eventually in a small ball of dirt drifting in the cosmos, but I don't give a rats ass about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Everything is important. Either that or nothing is. I prefer the former“ Cantus, Fraggle Rock

If a muppet could get over existential dread, I’m sure you can manage to as well.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I want to do more? Why would I want to aspire to anything? I am me. All I'm going to be is me. Making me happy should be what I "accomplish" as long as it doesn't impede others. If sitting at home, eating a good meal and playing video games is enough to make me happy why should I do more?

Every time I hear questions like this I think of my favorite story from Dragon Age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe this quote from Neil Degrasse Tyson might help see it from different perspective:

When I reflect on that fact, I look up — many people feel small, 'cause they're small and the Universe is big, but I feel big, because my atoms came from those stars. We are all interconnected and equally important.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Maybe this quote from Neil Degrasse Tyson might help see it from different perspective:

When I reflect on that fact, I look up — many people feel small, 'cause they're small and the Universe is big, but I feel big, because my atoms came from those stars. We are all interconnected and equally important.
    "We are stardust" is the quote that came to my mind as I was watching Evade's latest Destiny 2 lore videos...which made me write this thread.

I guess I was thinking about all this lore about how the Traveler has been fighting the Darkness since the dawn of time, and how now that battle is upon us once again...and I was just like "so fucking what? so what if the darkness wins? game over, lah de dah, doesn't change anything, does it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    What prevents you from descending into lethargy and "accomplishing" nothing more than base desires and fulfilling basic needs?

Just fulfilling basic needs sounds really boring. Accomplishing things is way more interesting, and can yield wonderful rewards. Of course they're all temporary, but in terms of existence you can chain some pretty sweet combos if you play your cards right.

- - - Updated - - -

"We are stardust" is the quote that came to my mind as I was watching Evade's latest Destiny 2 lore videos...which made me write this thread.

I guess I was thinking about all this lore about how the Traveler has been fighting the Darkness since the dawn of time, and how now that battle is upon us once again...and I was just like "so fucking what? so what if the darkness wins? game over, lah de dah, doesn't change anything, does it?"
    It means whatever interesting things you would get to experience beyond the point at which things end don't get to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Why would I want to do more? Why would I want to aspire to anything? I am me. All I'm going to be is me. Making me happy should be what I "accomplish" as long as it doesn't impede others. If sitting at home, eating a good meal and playing video games is enough to make me happy why should I do more?

Every time I hear questions like this I think of my favorite story from Dragon Age.

Are we really all just trying to "beat the world?" The universe doesn't give a fuck about us. A meteorite could drop tomorrow and poof. In those circumstances, beating anything is merely a matter of dumb luck, I feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we really all just trying to "beat the world?" The universe doesn't give a fuck about us. A meteorite could drop tomorrow and poof. In those circumstances, beating anything is merely a matter of dumb luck, I feel.
    Life is pretty much dumb luck. The amount of dumb luck it took to bring about life on this planet is literally astronomical.

What your opening question was about was living life, not what could happen to end it. Like the video said, just keep going. That's as close as anyone can get to doing anything meaningful.

If nothing we do matters then all that matters is what we do.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    By understanding they do mean a lot. What we do ( or fail to do ) can have a chain reaction to others after we die. Ether positive or negative.

I also do not think I am only limited to this life. But that is forbidden topic, so all I will say on that.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account

It seems to me that ultimately everything we accomplish does boil down to basic needs, mainly that of survival in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I also do not think I am only limited to this life.
    Hmm well at first I was kind of neutral to the idea of an immortal soul but over time I came to the conclusion that the notion of life-after-Earth devalues life-on-Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't expect to be handed down meaning from on high, by a higher power. I make my own meaning. That meaning can be whatever I want it to be, and that's freeing.

Life isn't an MMO, and you don't get offered quest markers and a quest log. If you want to figure out what to do next, you need to figure out that purpose for your own self.

I am as nihilistic as your average 20 year old but the meaning to life is up to you.

You want to experience the good? You gotta make it happen. It doesn't just come to you. Angels and shit aren't real. Make it happen. One step at a time. Go.

I don't look for meaning in what I do. I just want to live happily for as long as possible.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Like Max Weber said, life is meaningless only because of death. So you do what you can to advance human knowledge or support people advancing it and hope that one day human existence is rendered meaningful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't care. I just do shit. Try it.
    Yep.

To quote Tyrion Lannister: "Death is so final, whereas life is full of possibilities." So I do shit, while I'm alive. Who cares if there's a purpose or a meaning or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Like Max Weber said, life is meaningless only because of death. So you do what you can to advance human knowledge or support people advancing it and hope that one day human existence is rendered meaningful.
    It won't be. Eventually the sun will explode the universe will go through heat death and everything that ever happened will be rendered worthless.

But the sun won't explode for 5 billion years and the universe still has over 10^100 years remaining so . . . may as well work with the time we've got.
    Putin khuliyo