Wouldn't it be cool if...

Instead of guild halls, we instead got Guild Airships? Airship shipyards could be added to Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Guildmembers could go to the shipyard and donate gold and mats to build an airship, with bigger airships requiring more mats (and thus larger guilds). When completed, each type of airship class/model would be customizeable. The guild airships could then be flown into the depths, and guilds could fight each other over control for underground refineries and such for their faction like in Guns of Icarus. There would also be player housing involved, where players could go below deck and seemlessly enter their own phased rooms and decorate them inside.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2024-04-18 at 03:18 AM.

I love it. I don't see it happening tho
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

This sounds like something that would involve a ton of dev time and players would do approximately once then never touch again.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually like this idea. The guild area would be instanced anyway, so this could work.
    Here is something to believe in!

This is a really whimsical take on guild housing. I think it could actually make me want it. I’ve never been opposed, I just didn’t get excited about the concept, but I’d we could make airships with a fair amount of customization, that would be really cool.

Bonus if you can summon them with x number of people and fly them around together and see other guilds’ flying in their ships.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This sounds like something that would involve a ton of dev time and players would do approximately once then never touch again.
    I’m normally fairly skeptical, but I like this take on it.

If they do Housing in any form there is zero chance they'd restrict it to Guilds.

I mean, if they can get an airship underground, they can get it anywhere, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, if they can get an airship underground, they can get it anywhere, right?
    I'm less concerned with the idea making sense from a thematic standpoint and more with how players would routinely engage with something like this. It doesn't exactly seem like the kind of thing that has a whole lot of replay value. Maybe I'm just terminally cynical but it seems like something that'd be fun for those precious first days that people have no fucking clue what they're doing... but inevitably turbo-sweats will optimize it to the point where any semblance of enjoyment gets jettisoned the second you queue up.

Welp... I came into this thread expecting to write a semi-trolly "no" but this actually seems like a cool idea lol.

I'm less concerned with the idea making sense from a thematic standpoint and more with how players would routinely engage with something like this. It doesn't exactly seem like the kind of thing that has a whole lot of replay value. Maybe I'm just terminally cynical but it seems like something that'd be fun for those precious first days that people have no fucking clue what they're doing... but inevitably turbo-sweats will optimize it to the point where any semblance of enjoyment gets jettisoned the second you queue up.
    To be fair somewhat, there's definitely ways to force people to use a guild airship, I'm just not sure they're the best for the game. Like add a way to enter the current raid instance quickly with your guild.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to them just scrapping food buffs from meals and making it like monster hunter has where you can go to the hub (guild airship) and get a buff that just lasts for x time. (Tuned so there's no dumb situations of "food buff runs out in instance of course", maybe it just lasts indefinitely through your next instance entered?). Some form of it being still accessible to guildless people of course too still.

I have no idea about the airship battles though honestly, that sounds like it would end up being hell either way.

An airship (or a regular ship or maybe both) would be a good way to add Guild Housing. I would surely sign for that. Having it customizable would be a necessary feature to make it fun. Otherwise all guild airships will look the same.

Customization ideas:
    • Different sizes Airships, like:
      • Small: Have like 4 rooms.
      • Medium: Have like 7 rooms.
      • Large: Have like 12 rooms.
    • Each airship have rooms that could filled in with facility, like a specific profession, a guild bank, cantine with tables and a cook (add like the buildings in your garrison).
    • Any Airship size unlocks by paying a lot of money.
    • Any room can be unlocked by paying a lot of money, doing chores as a guild, earning a guild achievement, etc..
    • Choose the location where you station your airship. Maybe each region gives a special benefit.
    • The airship uses the guild crest as color theme. So flags, carpets, little details uses guild colors.
    • Should be a cool place to hang out. Contain most stuff a guild needs, but not all so they still need to go to a capital.

There is only one thing that holds back this feature. If there is a Guild House and it's customizable, who gets the fun of setting it up and managing that? From what i know this is something the developers have mentioned once and this why this feature is not in-game. A guild house is for the whole guild, but if only a handful of people or even 1 person gets the fun of setting it up, then it feels it's less of the rest of the guild and more of the people setting it up.

I'm not into guild anything. And I'm with the same guild I've been with in 2009. Anything that's not linked directly to my character and someone can take away or change without my permission is a massive no no for me and I would never put effort in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    To be fair somewhat, there's definitely ways to force people to use a guild airship, I'm just not sure they're the best for the game. Like add a way to enter the current raid instance quickly with your guild.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to them just scrapping food buffs from meals and making it like monster hunter has where you can go to the hub (guild airship) and get a buff that just lasts for x time. (Tuned so there's no dumb situations of "food buff runs out in instance of course", maybe it just lasts indefinitely through your next instance entered?). Some form of it being still accessible to guildless people of course too still.

I have no idea about the airship battles though honestly, that sounds like it would end up being hell either way.
    Even worse. Incentivizing guilds with benefits like this was tried in WoW and failed. Remember mass summoning and all that? People kicking players and selling guilds like crazy, the forums were filled with drama, but it was completely ok because in the end the game attributes the guild to 1 person alone. Some massive leadership change would have to happen but who's gonna want to give up their guild to a council...

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Instead of guild halls, we instead got Guild Airships? Airship shipyards could be added to Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Guildmembers could go to the shipyard and donate gold and mats to build an airship, with bigger airships requiring more mats (and thus larger guilds). When completed, each type of airship class/model would be customizeable. The guild airships could then be flown into the depths, and guilds could fight each other over control for underground refineries and such for their faction like in Guns of Icarus. There would also be player housing involved, where players could go below deck and seemlessly enter their own phased rooms and decorate them inside.

Creative and cool idea.

Problem is you won't see 1000 zeps floating in the horizon. It would be a symbolic thing - aka instance, just like when you enter garrisons. Which kinda defeats the purpose.

Maybe they could incentivize specific guilds with specific achievements(realm first, most achievements points or the oldest guilds or with Mythics cleared) - they would be floating with thier logo, for everyone to observe.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2024-04-18 at 02:03 PM.

Crazy idea, would love that!