Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

The Zuck's Meta is threatening (but not really) to pull out of the EU market.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/metas-...luence-waning/

The first is pulling some of its services from the EU. That's not an attractive option given that the EU has a population comparable to the US, even if it has a lower GDP per capita than the US. In the most recent quarter, almost 25% of the company's advertising revenue came from Europe.

The other alternative would be for Meta to change its business processes to comply with the relevant orders from the European Court and the General Data Protection Regulation of not sharing EU citizen data with a US entity. This option would be costly, however, as it would entail Meta effectively needing to have large and separate data centres somewhere in Europe.

How Meta will move forward is unclear, but what seems clear is regardless of whether Meta's threat holds any water, governments no longer feel the pressure of Meta like they used to.

Last Wednesday, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire reportedly said he would be fine if Meta pulled its platforms out of Europe.

"I can confirm that life is very good without Facebook and that we would live very well without Facebook," he said.
    EU reaction seems to mostly be...

https://english.elpais.com/opinion/2...uckerberg.html

I really wish US regulators had 1/5th of the backbone the EU does when it comes to data protection, even tho the EU could still probably do more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I really wish US regulators had 1/5th of the backbone the EU does when it comes to data protection, even tho the EU could still probably do more.
    I think this all the time honestly. I deal with cybersecurity and it's just abysmal. Unfortunately, I don't think anything approaching GDPR is remotely possible in the US due to every state wanting to do something different. Instead they spend their time on ridiculous bills like EARN IT.

7+ Year Old Account
    Europe is lost to authoritarian governments, bureaucracy, and over-regulation, imo. If Europeans cared about freedom they'd let us gather a massive amount of data that we can feed into AI/ML algorithms, which would then let us figure out what's happening in their brains and what they want to buy. There's literally nothing wrong with that but they think it's evil. It is a form of irrationality.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-02-15 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Europe is lost to authoritarian governments and bureaucracy, imo. If Europeans cared about freedom they'd let us gather a massive amount of data that we can feed into AI/ML algorithms, which would then let us figure out what's happening in their brains and what they want to buy. There's literally nothing wrong with that but they think it's evil. It is a form of irrationality.
    EU passes law to protect individual autonomy and individual intellectual property. "Autoritharianism".

You're actually comical at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europe is lost to authoritarian governments and bureaucracy, imo. If Europeans cared about freedom they'd let us gather a massive amount of data that we can feed into AI/ML algorithms, which would then let us figure out what's happening in their brains and what they want to buy. There's literally nothing wrong with that but they think it's evil. It is a form of irrationality.
    People have rights over their data and information, and corporations should treat that data with care.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    People have rights over their data and information, and corporations should treat that data with care.
    Yeah true but FaceBook's business model revolves around the effectiveness of advertisement and turning data into gold, so when policies seek to eliminate that then eventually it makes less and less sense to offer the service. But FaceBook isn't a vital service nor a great platform, imo, so I can understand why Europeans don't really care about what "Meta" wants.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-02-15 at 04:15 PM.

My personal data is none of their business.
    Fuck Facebook.

EU passes law to protect individual autonomy and individual intellectual property. "Autoritharianism".

You're actually comical at this point.
    Not a single bad take they won’t smear onto the message board.

Yeah true but FaceBook's business model revolves around the effectiveness of advertisement, so when policies seek to eliminate that then it eventually it makes less and less sense to offer the service. But FaceBook isn't a vital service nor a great platform, imo, so I can understand why Europeans don't really care about what "Meta" wants.
    The problem here isn't with Facebook using data to improve the effectiveness of its advertisement, it's about Facebook selling the data it collected about people to third parties without their consent. As the US is unable to regulate this due to its corrupt political system EU courts have ordered Facebook to store the data of its European users inside the EU where the courts can protect the rights of the consumers.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problem here isn't with Facebook using data to improve the effectiveness of its advertisement, it's about Facebook selling the data it collected about people to third parties without their consent. As the US is unable to regulate this due to its corrupt political system EU courts have ordered Facebook to store the data of its European users inside the EU where the courts can protect the rights of the consumers.
    Sure-sure but third-parties probably just use the data for similar reasons and in similar ways as a first party. I don't view third-parties as being worse than a first party.
    without their consent.
    I thought that was covered in the legal agreements that people choose to accept from time to time, and when they start an account.

Sure-sure but third-parties probably just use the data for similar reasons and in similar ways as a first party. I don't view third-parties as being worse than a first party. I thought that was covered in the legal agreements that people choose to accept from time to time, and when they start an account.
    Sure..lets trust big business.../s

Why are you always so wrong...? Is there any fucked up opinion or perspective you don't embrace?

Sure-sure but third-parties probably just use the data for similar reasons and in similar ways as a first party. I don't view third-parties as being worse than a first party.

I thought that was covered in the legal agreements that people choose to accept from time to time, and when they start an account.
    "Probably" is not a very sound legal principle. There's also past and present evidence that such data is widely abused by political lobby groups, intelligence services and plain old corporate interests.

EULAs rarely hold up in court, furthermore they are intentionally vague (why they are often not binding) and even worse entities like Facebook often flagrantly breach their own EULA, redressing this from the consumers end is difficult to impossible in the US legal system (intentionally so, see the vague and often non binding nature of EULAs) which is why the EU requires the data of its citizens to be stored in the EU where their courts have the necessary jurisdiction to address abuses and breaches.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2022-02-15 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Consent needs to be informed and unambiguous. How FB in particular collected, handled and shared data of users has been an ongoing problem for over a decade now. There's been multiple issues regarding what data specifically is being collected and shared, who it is shared with, how it is protected and how long it is retained. Users need to be provided clear information about what data is being collected and be given the opportunity to provide permission, as well as an option to opt-out and an option for all their data to be permanently erased.

Regarding third parties, the issue is that the end user no longer has any control over their own data after it is shared. Can that legal consent be transferred indefinitely? Can the third party share that data with a fourth party? How does the end user know who all has their data? What happens when the end user no longer wants their data to be shared?

Sure-sure but third-parties probably just use the data for similar reasons and in similar ways as a first party.
    Bolded word is fuckin Hercules with how much lifting it's doing. Remember the whole Cambridge Analytica scandal?

I don't view third-parties as being worse than a first party.
    Theoretically, but you never know who they are.

These are not legal contracts as few are actually enforceable when taken to court.

Facebook sells user info for marketing and such, EU is getting in the way of profits. How dare they!?

PS - Meta sounds so God damn stupid...

It's an empty threat and everybody knows this. If they'd pull out of the greatest market in the world their stocks would crash and burn.

Fuck off, Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Facebook sells user info for marketing and such, EU is getting in the way of profits. How dare they!?

PS - Meta sounds so God damn stupid...
    Only a Lizard person like The Zuck would look at the a dystopian concept and go like "Yes! I'm re-branding to that it! It's an awesome idea!"

shocking any government would turn down selling your data to whomever but good on the EU. this meta thing is looking like more and more of a disaster, thank god, all of this crypto nonsense and NFT's needs to die sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    shocking any government would turn down selling your data to whomever but good on the EU. this meta thing is looking like more and more of a disaster, thank god, all of this crypto nonsense and NFT's needs to die sooner than later.
    There's way too much big money involved in the con they will keep trying to force it down the throats of "consumers".

10+ Year Old Account
    February 19th, 2021
    Facebook's official terms had prohibited app developers from giving the company data from children about health and other sensitive topics, but the company told the New York financial services department it had "routinely obtained" such information from developers, going against its own service terms and policies, according to the Feb. 18 report.
    https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...stigation.html