Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I use a VPN?

I want to protect myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what?

Short answer: Probably not
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    "should"? Probably not.
    "Need to"? no.

VPNs only really stop your ISP from finding out what you're doing, so unless you really don't trust them, or are doing something they don't want you doing, you shouldn't use one. If you want to actually be safe from getting tracked on the website side as well you'd need something like TOR or constantly delete cookies. If you're nuts you could run TOR through a VPN running on a linux distro like Tails that nukes everything aside from the base OS every time you log off.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you using the internet for any shady shit? Then yes.
    Here is something to believe in!

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    VPN really only protects your ISP from snooping on your browsing and monetizing it. That same data will now be going to your VPN provider...are you sure that VPN provider won't do the same?

While I don't begrudge people from using a VPN (it isn't completely useless), please keep in mind that it is only one of a number of tools you should be using.

You want to protect yourself from what exactly? The answer to that question will tell you which tools would be most effective.

From what, Tommy? Ze Germans?

VPN use really only shine for torrenting in the USA. Lots of ISPs are running with the 3 strike rule (caught torrenting once It's a warning, 2 is a shut off with a signature to get it back on, and 3 is termination).

In other words, you probably don't need one.

People are so paranoid about being tracked on the internet. Are you doing anything illagal? The only people that care about what you do are advertisers and all they can do with that data is to make ads for you. Most people don't even care what you do on the internet. From whom do you need that protection? From targeted ads? Nowadays every youtuber gets paid to make a VPN ad and people think they are in some sort of danger all of sudden. You are fine probably as you are now.

I use it to jump countries to not have to by tons of different streaming services when the same show can be found on Amazon in UK or on Netflix in the US instead of you know.. having to have 20 different ones. I don't know if that is cool or not but whatever..

But the reason I HAVE it is because my work requires to use one when transferring work related files on the internet. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be paying the 7 bucks or whatever I pay a month for the service (that work pays me back for).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I use it to jump countries to not have to by tons of different streaming services when the same show can be found on Amazon in UK or on Netflix in the US instead of you know.. having to have 20 different ones. I don't know if that is cool or not but whatever..

But the reason I HAVE it is because my work requires to use one when transferring work related files on the internet. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be paying the 7 bucks or whatever I pay a month for the service (that work pays me back for).

Wha?

What line of work are you in?

I have 3 VPNs for work. They're basically encrypted tunnels to transfer sensitive data between companies, not for hiding or spoofing location.
    I would think that any company requiring VPN use would implement their own or have a 3rd party provide the service (properly vetted, due dilligence and what not).
    Just sounds weird to me that you got to pick your own VPN and your company is fine with it.

That's why I'm curious as to what line of work you are in.

As long as you understand that you never really know who the vpn info is going to. If your doing something that your government frowns upon you should never count on a vpn to shield you. If you're just going for a different geo-location or trying to avoid isp snooping a vpn isn't a terrible idea. Keep in mind nothing is free though - if you're not the customer you're the product being sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mil Mascaras View Post
    I would think that any company requiring VPN use would implement their own or have a 3rd party provide the service (properly vetted, due dilligence and what not).
    I semi-regularly install Meraki Z3 VPNs for businesses, and you'd be surprised how often they'd rather save a few bucks and just have an RDP set up, or jsut go for FTP or Email for sharing files instead of paying proper to get a good VPN installed.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    From what, Tommy? Ze Germans?
    Coffee through nose, gorammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mil Mascaras View Post
    Wha?

What line of work are you in?

I have 3 VPNs for work. They're basically encrypted tunnels to transfer sensitive data between companies, not for hiding or spoofing location.
    Just sounds weird to me that you got to pick your own VPN and your company is fine with it.

That's why I'm curious as to what line of work you are in.
    You use it to tunnel.. and then.. use it for something else..

?

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    As long as you understand that you never really know who the vpn info is going to. If your doing something that your government frowns upon you should never count on a vpn to shield you. If you're just going for a different geo-location or trying to avoid isp snooping a vpn isn't a terrible idea. Keep in mind nothing is free though - if you're not the customer you're the product being sold.
    I recommend Mullvad.

I'm not in the USA - so I use a VPN so I can watch stuff that otherwise I'd not be able to watch.

Once Geoblocking goes - VPN probably goes for me too.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I use veepn
    Last edited by Black Star1; 2020-04-10 at 09:13 AM.

If you use a Chrome browser you can instal Hola Free VPN and for me, it works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    You use it to tunnel.. and then.. use it for something else..

?
    You did not understand his question. You would use a company VPN to keep your connection ecrypted into your intranet. What you are doing is connect to a random/potentially unsafe network just to mask your IP.

The whole situation is just silly at this point, because in my country (germany) you could actually be legally liable to your company if you did anything like that in any IT job. You are not allowed to work from non protected WiFi for this reason aswell and by going with an external VPN you are doing exactly the same.

In what country do you live that you can work with your YOLO-VPN way?
    -

Glad you got around to this a month later.