Thread: Beta Wave?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Is it not more useful to know the region and specifics of people who *DID* get into Beta, rather than all these people who didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Those of us who did get in are responding. There may just be fewer of us than the ones who didn't. Perhaps mmo-c is just filled with a bunch of people who hate Blizzard and are hated by Blizzard.
    Just struck me as odd that so many people are posting whether or not they're subscribed and what region they're playing only to state that they didn't get beta. I don't think knowing my region and sub status is of any interest to anyone, since I didn't get in. I mean, most people regardless of status didn't get in. I thought the general idea here was to survey the demographics of the people who did get invited, rather than all of us who didn't

I neither hate Blizzard nor am hated by them as far as I know, and although I've played for a very long time I don't think that makes me more a priority to invite than anyone else. The invites seem to be randomized

The last time I've gotten into beta was Cata beta... back then, you had to give them the info about your PC specs and mine at the time was pretty bad so they probably invited me to test the game on trash pcs... I opt into every beta and I never got invited after that, unless they let everyone in at the very end of testing (cant even recall if there was anything like that).

IDK. I play since late tbc with occassional breaks here and there, never got banned or punished, but somehow I never get in. Unlucky I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    The last time I've gotten into beta was Cata beta... back then, you had to give them the info about your PC specs and mine at the time was pretty bad so they probably invited me to test the game on trash pcs... I opt into every beta and I never got invited after that, unless they let everyone in at the very end of testing (cant even recall if there was anything like that).

IDK. I play since late tbc with occassional breaks here and there, never got banned or punished, but somehow I never get in. Unlucky I guess.
    I got into Cata too, then nothing till BFA. I used to work QA for Sony and Disney, I would actually test the hell out of SL, but hey ho.

10+ Year Old Account
    EU here
    Subbed since 2005 (maybe lapsed 2-3 months at max)
    SL Preordered

No Alpha - No Beta
    | i9 10850K | RTX 3080 Ti Aorus | Z490 Aorus Ultra G2 | Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Corsair HX1000W Platinum | Cooler Master H500M

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a question for the folks saying they've never gotten into a beta, ever. Well, actually multiple questions.

It's VERY important to be 100% honest. Giving bad data doesn't help anyone.

1) Have you EVER had anything negative with your account? Ban, suspension, warning, anything.
    2) Have you remained subscribed since you first installed the game in 2004?
    3) Did you get the free 10 year statue?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Sith View Post
    I have a question for the folks saying they've never gotten into a beta, ever. Well, actually multiple questions.

1) Have you EVER had anything negative with your account? Ban, suspension, warning, anything.

Thanks!
    The only things that *could* effect Beta invites is bad account history (bans/suspensions). It doesn't matter if you're subbed or not, or if you've been subbed the entire time - it's just down to chance. Sure, it's hella unlucky if you've *never* been invited to a beta, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

#Nobetaclub

US
    Subbed
    SL preordered the hour it was available

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    The only things that *could* effect Beta invites is bad account history (bans/suspensions). It doesn't matter if you're subbed or not, or if you've been subbed the entire time - it's just down to chance. Sure, it's hella unlucky if you've *never* been invited to a beta, but that's just how it goes sometimes.
    Exactly. Even suspensions and what not do no disqualify you. A friend of mine was suspended for 3 months and he got Beta for Legion

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks!
    1) Nope, never, scout's honor
    2) As I mentioned in my post, maybe lapsed 2-3 months at max in all those 15 years
    3) Nope, didn't get the statue
    | i9 10850K | RTX 3080 Ti Aorus | Z490 Aorus Ultra G2 | Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Corsair HX1000W Platinum | Cooler Master H500M

Thanks!
    I'm not in the SL beta yet but I've been invited to every beta since Wrath:

1) yes, was banned for 6 months due to botting in WoD (and yes, I got Legion beta, early as I recall).
    2) no, not even close - maybe 40-50% of the time since? I started in 2008 on the current account.
    3) no

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferstwin View Post
    #Nobetaclub

US
    Subbed
    SL preordered the hour it was available

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Even suspensions and what not do no disqualify you. A friend of mine was suspended for 3 months and he got Beta for Legion
    Tbh. Permanent ban's are probably the *only* thing that'll guarantee that you don't get an invite. There's no special formula here. There's no ticking of this box and that box, so despite how much "data" the OP is trying to collect it's completely useless - it's a lottery. One of my close friends used to be a GM and then server engineer for Blizzard and he's literally told me the same. The only thing that *will* guarantee you to get an invite is being on an employee's F&F list.

It's only beta anyway - i swear people treat it like it's some early access or some shit. It's literally there for things to be tested.

nah, I don't won't spoilers, I plan to have fun at launch
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

from the looks of it only subbed ppl got in.

1.got banned one of my account back in mop
    2.subbed
    3.sl preordered
    Last edited by Stormgnoef; 2020-07-21 at 01:55 PM.

It's only beta anyway - i swear people treat it like it's some early access or some shit. It's literally there for things to be tested.
    Let's not be ridiculous here. A beta is for employees to test the game yes, but for a consumer it is very much "early access that'll get wiped once launch happens". Blizzard is using beta to test the game and fix bugs, but if you think it isn't also a marketing tactic, I've got a bridge to sell you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    from the looks of it only subbed ppl got in.
    Nope.

I just noticed i had SL beta on my launcher this morning.

1.) US
    2.) Been subscribed since launch, have the 10 year statue.
    3.) SL Pre-Ordered *since announcement last year if that matters*.
    4.) No negative account actions TMU.

here are some answers about beta waves
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_wave

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Let's not be ridiculous here. A beta is for employees to test the game yes, but for a consumer it is very much "early access that'll get wiped once launch happens". Blizzard is using beta to test the game and fix bugs, but if you think it isn't also a marketing tactic, I've got a bridge to sell you.

- - - Updated - - -
    It's not early access, no. Beta is for testing features, that's the whole purpose of it - employee or not. Alpha's and Beta's are there for people to TEST and for Blizzard to gain feedback. Beta's aren't a marketing tactic either, that's not the purpose of it. Does it make people watch videos and streams and get exited for the game? Of course, but that's not what a marketing tactic is. Big MMO's like WoW need public beta's - there's just too much to test internally for the turnaround time they give themselves.

It's not early access, no. Beta is for testing features, that's the whole purpose of it - employee or not. Alpha's and Beta's are there for people to TEST and for Blizzard to gain feedback. Beta's aren't a marketing tactic either, that's not the purpose of it. Does it make people watch videos and streams and get exited for the game? Of course, but that's not what a marketing tactic is. Big MMO's like WoW need public beta's - there's just too much to test internally for the turnaround time they give themselves.
    You seriously don't understand how a beta is a marketing tactic? Really? Just because internal betas are for testing doesn't mean public betas are as well. Thinking as much would be naive as hell.

Or, do you think streamers get alpha and beta access with the first waves because they're such great testers? The beta has two purposes: improve the game, and hype the game. Since you've been around here a while you're probably also aware of the times where feedback hardly mattered at all.

It's not early access, no. Beta is for testing features, that's the whole purpose of it - employee or not.
    betas serve multiple purposes at the same time. They are to test features, to collect direct player feedback, but also to assess the overall stability of the game and of the game's infrastructure, and to analyze player metrics to identify anomalies (why are many players loging off at this particular location? Why is nobody taking or completing that quest over there? Why are so many players concentrated around this particular spot? Etc.), and yes, there's obviously a big marketing component as well.

Especially given that they are no longer putting beta players under NDA nowadays. The only reason they'd remove NDAs is because they believe that word of mouth marketing from beta players and steamers is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenatural View Post
    The only time I've ever been in the beta was the expansion after I was in a US ~25 raiding guild. Coincidence???

/tinfoilhat

Also

US&EU
    Subbed on EU not US
    SL pre Purchased on Both

No Beta
    Funny you mention that. I got into my first beta after finishing 2200 in arenas and again after the next expac where I was 2700 in 3s and 3100 in rbgs. I've been in every beta since.

/tinfoilhat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    You seriously don't understand how a beta is a marketing tactic? Really? Just because internal betas are for testing doesn't mean public betas are as well. Thinking as much would be naive as hell.

Or, do you think streamers get alpha and beta access with the first waves because they're such great testers? The beta has two purposes: improve the game, and hype the game. Since you've been around here a while you're probably also aware of the times where feedback hardly mattered at all.
    Basically. The beta is more of a stress test generally for WoW without any real changes til the .1 patch. I think they are being more receptive to change this time after BfA's reception but it will not be long before they lock in and focus on trying to fix bugs and *somewhat* balance things for launch.