Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Let's ssy you work part time and make $300 a week with no health care provided by your job donyou get Obamacare. You'll get the bottom of unemployment around $218.00 plus $600. Seems better than $300 to me.
    Just wondering where you are getting the 218 from? In Michigan you would only get $154 if you made $300 a week.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's ssy you work part time and make $300 a week with no health care provided by your job donyou get Obamacare. You'll get the bottom of unemployment around $218.00 plus $600. Seems better than $300 to me.
    Yes, you're successfully making the case that minimum wages are egregiously, unjustifiably low, acting as an effective subsidy to businesses as the government picks up the tab for the support of their workers.

Thanks for admitting that a minimum living wage north of $20/hour (at current cost of living) is what's needed.

If your answer to "these people make so little income they still qualify for government support" is to blame the workers and to try and claw back that support funding, you're a misanthrope whose primary ideological goal is to promote and encourage human suffering, so that the wealthy can be even wealthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Just wondering where you are getting the 218 from? In Michigan you would only get $154 if you made $300 a week.
    i think he was confusing the smallest max unemployment payment with an actual minimum unemployment allowance.

there is no minimum, you can partially work and get 11 dollars in unemployment if you had enough hours/pay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Neither. The pay for hourly support staff is just garbage. Well, the hourly doesn't look bad, but when you reckon how much of the calendar year we don't work for...

190 days a year, 7 hours a day, $14/hour = $18,620. That's gross, not net, of course. Shave a few grand off the top of that to cover insurance, taxes, state retirement, etc. Ends up being closer to 15-16k 14.5k take home per school year, which is ~1,200/month, averaged out. Just a hair over half the COVID unemployment wage.

Edit: checked my W2 for actual numbers.
    that's a shame, even just a few hours or a few dollars and you could file for partial unemployment.
    the unemployment would be just a few dollars, but you would automatically qualify for the 600 dollars.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I'd wonder how many people would use the unemployment stipend to not go back to work, but to instead study, get certifications, work on personal projects, etc. to improve their skillset. 90% of the problem with the poverty trap is that it's hard to actually develop the technical skills needed to escape poverty. People not working could be reasonably argued to be good.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2020-07-24 at 05:45 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I'd wonder how many people would use the unemployment stipend to not go back to work, but to instead study, get certifications, work on personal projects, etc. to improve their skillset. 90% of the problem with the poverty trap is that it's hard to actually develop the technical skills needed to escape poverty. People not working could be reasonably argued to be good.
    Hard to use that money for more education when you need it to buy food or rent. More education is not a guarantee to get a job either after you are done. Would be a good idea though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    You can always give out more money but then you're just adding to a deficit that would shift the burden to the future. There's no free lunch.
    Could end corporate welfare and pay for all that and even then be spending less money than we are now. But of course we must worship big corporations as god-like entities and shower gold and silver upon them, for they are the vaunted heroes who provideth the mythical jobs upon us lowly plebs who are unworthy of looking upon our corporate overlords.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Hard to use that money for more education when you need it to buy food or rent. More education is not a guarantee to get a job either after you are done. Would be a good idea though.
    I'm assuming that peoples' bottleneck is time, not money.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I'm assuming that peoples' bottleneck is time, not money.
    If you don't have a job where do you get the money? Extra education is expensive.

Whelp we see why now they wanted to cut it to 100 bucks a week.
    got priorities to pay for!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

the White House floated cutting an unemployment benefits boost to as little as $100 and President Donald Trump turned to a new priority, adding money to build a new FBI headquarters.

Under McConnell's plan, senators proposed cutting it to $200
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Whelp we see why now they wanted to cut it to 100 bucks a week.
    got priorities to pay for!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

the White House floated cutting an unemployment benefits boost to as little as $100 and President Donald Trump turned to a new priority, adding money to build a new FBI headquarters.

Under McConnell's plan, senators proposed cutting it to $200
    I believe they are cutting it $100 to $500 I might be wrong but that's what I remember reading.

I believe they are cutting it $100 to $500 I might be wrong but that's what I remember reading.
    So far its 100 for what the WH wants.

Senate GOP 200-500 anywhere in between but they want to tie it to max of 70% total salary

House/senate democrats want 600 dollars, some propose 85% max salary up to 600 dollars.

its all over the place. Moscow Mitch says it won't be next week till he releases his plan...

should have been passed weeks ago, fuck all of them (hell and i don't even get any of it anyway).

they all though agree to give farmers yet another 20 billion dollars.
    Their max last time wasn't 600 dollars but 250,000 per farm (500k if married).
    and there is a little publicized loophole where you take a family farm and split it a few times under everyone's name and collect 250,000 x a lot.

But hey 600 dollars right

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and good luck getting states to process something based on a % and max salary....

can you say....processing nightmare like last time....

https://www.yahoo.com/money/coronavi...170027326.html
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Extra education is expensive.
    Depends on the education.
    There's a lot of education that you can do that is outright free. Programming skills in particular are always touted as high value, you can pick up the IDEs for free and learn how to use them on w3cschools or something.
    If you're particularly after stuff that will improve your employability you can do stuff like LinkedIn certifications for the price of membership. Skillshare is the same.
    If you have online library access for any university you can access any number of scientific journals and start studying those.
    If you are trying to get into trades or something yeah it can be more difficult, trying to buy a woodworking workshop would not be easy lol. You can do stuff like practice cooking though, and while it's not the most marketable skill, you'll be enriching yourself if it's a skill you've neglected.

Well well well.

Even though democrats have had multiple plans (for over a month) to help the vast majority of people unemployed and also give economic boost to others what has the president and his party done....

republicans fight over how much money to take away from the unemployed to give to other special interest.

Must have been praying for this to go away or something.

https://www.chron.com/business/artic...t-15431398.php

With days to go before enhanced jobless benefits expire, the White House and Senate Republicans are struggling to design a way to scale back the program without overwhelming state unemployment agencies and imperiling aid to more than 20 million Americans.

The hangup has led to an abrupt delay in the introduction of the GOP's $1 trillion stimulus package. The White House and Democrats have said they want a deal by the end of the month, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., suggested Friday it could take several weeks to reach an agreement, a timeline that could leave many unemployed Americans severely exposed.

- - - Updated - - -

and it just get worse and worse and worse.

Based on WH and Republican plans that might take another 2-4 weeks to even pass it would take weeks to months to get the money out the door because of the complicated nature in which they want to limit money to the people whom need it the most.

https://www.wpr.org/state-unemployme...sal-memos-show

State Unemployment Agencies Could Take Months To Adapt To WH Proposal, Memos Show

The National Association of State Workforce Agencies told lawmakers on Capitol Hill that it would take most states eight to 20 weeks to move to a system of awarding weekly benefits on a sliding scale based on the worker's wages before losing their job, according to a copy of the memo obtained by NPR.

https://apps.npr.org/documents/docum...sals-7-23-2020
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Well well well.

Even though democrats have had multiple plans (for over a month) to help the vast majority of people unemployed and also give economic boost to others what has the president and his party done....

republicans fight over how much money to take away from the unemployed to give to other special interest.

Must have been praying for this to go away or something.

https://www.chron.com/business/artic...t-15431398.php

With days to go before enhanced jobless benefits expire, the White House and Senate Republicans are struggling to design a way to scale back the program without overwhelming state unemployment agencies and imperiling aid to more than 20 million Americans.

The hangup has led to an abrupt delay in the introduction of the GOP's $1 trillion stimulus package. The White House and Democrats have said they want a deal by the end of the month, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., suggested Friday it could take several weeks to reach an agreement, a timeline that could leave many unemployed Americans severely exposed.

- - - Updated - - -

and it just get worse and worse and worse.

Based on WH and Republican plans that might take another 2-4 weeks to even pass it would take weeks to months to get the money out the door because of the complicated nature in which they want to limit money to the people whom need it the most.

https://www.wpr.org/state-unemployme...sal-memos-show

State Unemployment Agencies Could Take Months To Adapt To WH Proposal, Memos Show

The National Association of State Workforce Agencies told lawmakers on Capitol Hill that it would take most states eight to 20 weeks to move to a system of awarding weekly benefits on a sliding scale based on the worker's wages before losing their job, according to a copy of the memo obtained by NPR.

https://apps.npr.org/documents/docum...sals-7-23-2020
    Republicans must be getting absolutely DESPERATE. The delay they are manufacturing could very well lead to a fairly large economic downturn with lots more visible homeless people - and their response will be "But we didn't want anyone at home to make more than they would at work." This will come across as very cruel and heartless, with working class Americans as the victims.

They know they have a bad hand, and so they are trying to delay delay delay. Which will likely make things much worse for America, and much worse for them.

2 months 10 days...and counting
    sigh.

https://news.yahoo.com/mnuchin-virus...235103994.html

that is how long so far its taken the GOP and Trump to come out with another package after democrats already had completed theirs

The GOP plan was not expected to come to a vote but serve as a counter-offer to Democrats. That strategy enabled McConnell, who did not have full support from his GOP majority, to avoid having to endure a failed outcome. But it also gave Democrats some leverage in insisting on their priorities as part of any final deal.

The path ahead remained uncertain, but both sides were scrambling to reach a deal.

McConnell, who spent time over the weekend in his home state of the Kentucky, said Friday he hoped a package could be agreed on “in the next few weeks.”

The jobless benefit officially expires July 31, but due to the way states process unemployment payments, the cutoff was effectively Saturday. Other aid, including a federal eviction moratorium on millions of rental units, also expires at month’s end.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    How are these vultures able to convince so many...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Uh... I'm not a conservative and the place I work is finding it almost impossible to hire part time employees because of the over the top unemployment benefits currently being given out.

10+ Year Old Account
    We might get more evidence, one way or the other.

New weekly applications for unemployment insurance increased last week for the first time since March, according to the Labor Department, and the number of employed Americans declined by 4.1 million between the first and second weeks of this month, according to weekly Census Bureau data released Thursday.

Job postings from businesses have also declined through July, according to Homebase, a workforce management software company that tracks 60,000 businesses with 1 million employees for labor force changes.

The number of new jobs posted by businesses was down roughly 16.6 percent in June from the first two weeks of March, according to the company's data. From July 1 to July 9, job postings were down an average of 22.7 percent from the first two weeks of March.

There are roughly 30 million Americans receiving some form of unemployment insurance whose earnings will plunge without the $600 weekly boost that sustained them. Millions of Americans who do not live in housing backstopped by the federal government can also face eviction proceedings over the next few weeks with less money to fund a move.
    The $600 expires Friday. I suppose it's possible that several million people all left their job to take advantage of $600 once, even in a situation where a replacement job might not exist, a situation where they might be evicted or miss a mortgage payment because of this, and a situation where a replacement $600 unemployment augment bill does not seem to exist -- did I miss it? All I see are Republicans saying no.

But I don't think that's the case. I think people are being laid off and replacement jobs are not posted, because replacement jobs do not exist, because the economy is not strong enough. I think it was faltering at the end of 2019, I think the COVID-19 outbreak did unPresidented level of damage due to poor leadership, I think the Republican Party knows they gave a bunch of money away and are watching that fail, I think they're desperate to change the narrative from this being 100% predictably their fault, and I think they're shifting the blame to "people sitting on their butts and collecting free money" to gloss over the fact they got 31 million people out of a job, health care, and possibly their home, and worst of all, I think they'll try to push that narrative to the very people they got fired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Uh... I'm not a conservative and the place I work is finding it almost impossible to hire part time employees because of the over the top unemployment benefits currently being given out.
    Because nobody's willing to work for the wages you're offering?

That means people value their labor more than you do. Your offer is too low. Offer them higher wages. That's how the labor market works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Means your pay is too low, hun. Tell your employer to shut up and do better or continue to offer shit wages and be unable to attract talent.

Owning a business does not entitle you to labor for that business. Failing to attract employees as a function of low pay is a sign of a shitty business owner, but only in America is being a shitty business owner outright endorsed by the government to the point of subsidization.

If your society is investing more time and effort into propping up someone's Artisanal Tree Whispering business at a loss rather than the education and nourishment of its own kids, chances are your society is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.