Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    eh it's a trade off. number of buttons vs game pace.

afaik ff14 has a 3sec GCD or something so you actually have time to press those buttons.

if wow goes console though, i'd like to think they are smart enough to do it like they did with D3 and have a seperate version.
    Pretty sure there will be no console port. Having seperate populations, much smaller than PC, split up between PvE, PvP, RPPvE, and RPPvP is asking for a disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Fair point about ff11-14, but I’d also counter point that diablo 3 did end up on consoles
    D1 was on consoles. It makes more sense the 6 button configuration was for a simple LMB, RMB, 1, 2, 3, 4 hand layout. Could also be the average amount of skills used in D2. All makes more sense than it was just fine to put on consoles, when FF11 already existed and many console games had more than 6 inputs at the time.

Nowhere did I mention classic, also you’re cherry picking quite a bit considering most classic classes have multiple bars of abilities. Good luck raiding naxx as a prot warrior using 2-3 buttons
    I present to you: radial menus!.
    You can easily put the most used abilities (all 3? of them, 1 if you play mage) on your preferred keys and all the stuff that you press maybe every 5-30 minutes into an radial menu.

classic to wotlk is also the most "friendly" era for that kind of peripherals thanks to the easy in-combat rotations slower pace of the game and easier difficulty on the mechanical side, i can't really see someone using a controller in an high keystone or mythic raid environment as for today.

You can and could always play with an controller with the right 3rd party software if you wanted to, it's just not that convenient for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    mages are going to have a field day blinking through people using controllers
    Especially with their race-wheels.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

About the page in Brazil .... "XBOX" is still there. Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.in.gov.br/en/web/dou/-/po...2020-268683420

This page is actually the official of the Brazilian government. I know that because I'm Brazilian. lol
    It is strange that a mistake is made there ... but ...

Print:
    https://snipboard.io/lNMC9a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    How about let people play with whatever they want?

Is this seriously an issue of contention with some of
    you?

The issue is if the game gets dumbed down to boringness to make it officially supported on controllers.

An addon that provides some capability for controller use is one thing - an official declaration of support means they have to design the game in a way that it is playable on controllers, which is bad news for people who enjoy more complex mechanics.

If it comes with a smooth UI to switch between controller and KB/M without fucking up keybinds and stuff for the other, I could see myself doing dumb shit like fishing while lying in bed. Not that I couldn't do it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    The issue is if the game gets dumbed down to boringness to make it officially supported on controllers.

An addon that provides some capability for controller use is one thing - an official declaration of support means they have to design the game in a way that it is playable on controllers, which is bad news for people who enjoy more complex mechanics.
    COULD POTENTIALLY be dumbed down. It could also remain exactly the same. What is the fear here? That it is so successful on console, that they make fundamental changes to the game that focus more on accessibilty for console players and it loses its PC focus? Because i would argue the opposite - D3 on console is amazing imo, and they changed it in a way that made the console version unique from the pc, but allowed both to exist on their own merits.

Granted, that format of game is better suited to console to begin with, and im not suggesting anything different, but it is an example of the same game existing on 2 different platforms (counting all consoles as 'consoles') without negatively impacting each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    If it comes with a smooth UI to switch between controller and KB/M without fucking up keybinds and stuff for the other, I could see myself doing dumb shit like fishing while lying in bed. Not that I couldn't do it right now.
    Yeah, the whole "i would love to play on my couch" argument confuses me a bit - thas an option now. I have a mate who does this now - he uses a weird trackball mouse thing and a raza keyboard thingy and does his dailies etc on the couch on the big screen, only uses his PC for raids and pvp.

I'd do the same thing I do in every game I play, I'd uncheck crossplay and never ever see them

Wow has been on a path to console release for years.

They’ve stripped abilities, dumbed the game down to the point a caveman can succeed in it, and recently added controller support

All roads lead to console
    100% agreed and thats why its time to accept it and move on...or stay if you like simple games. For me, I am out.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

I mean back in LK I saw dudes sitting on a couche-style "chair" laying behind a desk and using a keyboard + mouse while doing hc ICC25. This is a non-argument par the niche fishing, I SUPPOSE. But who's gonna go through that effort extra, just for that?

I played with a controller last time when it was the PS2 era.
    I didn't like it.

And in no way or shape do I see people being anywhere near equivalent in performance to keyboard + mouse on a frigging controller. LUL.

If you want to suck at the game, sure go ahead I suppose. Stay tf away from me.

Dude, the gameplay of all classes gets less complex with each patch. What are you talking about?
    it is possible to place almost 40 keybinds (including macros) on an xbox controller.
    I find it very difficult that you need to press more than 40 keys in any type of game content ....

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post

Yeah, the whole "i would love to play on my couch" argument confuses me a bit - thas an option now. I have a mate who does this now - he uses a weird trackball mouse thing and a raza keyboard thingy and does his dailies etc on the couch on the big screen, only uses his PC for raids and pvp.
    I meant the controller part but yeah that's an option too. I already have mouse movement, mouse left click, push to talk and some random multimedia buttons bound to my xbox controller. Would work for fishing as it is now.

Most classes use like 4 buttons 95% of the time. The arguments about it being too complex are just dumb. People for some reason want it be more complex than it really is.

I know this is also going to go over many of your heads, but having more buttons on your bar doesn't equate to the game being more challenging to play. I guess it makes some people feel cooler for saying "back in my day this game wasn't so dumbed down", but facts will show it's literally always been simple and easy. In fact, if ANYTHING it's FAR more complex now, especially with all the different systems.

I've been hoping it would go on consoles for a while. Hopefully it does.

What's up with this focus on the binds.

To me, the problem lies in the inability to flick your angles and aim at your bars in any reasonable amount of time.

Saving a teammate from a dangerous situation can be forgotten about, because you aint pulling that shit off on the controller. Ever.

Sitting still and dpsing as a BM hunter, and never moving or slow-mo camera/keyboard-style turning is soo bad.

The fact that you're missing a 2D plane on which to translate your hand coordination with your eye 1-to-1 is its biggest downfall of all.

Unless I'm missing something. Last I checked, you used those $tupid analog sitcks to basically move your angles. Which means, enjoy your smoothed/accelerated turns alongside it. Essentially something, you can never really become accurate on.

Yes, you can bind the keys. Pressing them in time may even be acceptable. Your ability to adapt to fuck-ups, move, aim, reangle, react, is severely hampered.
    Beside the aiming, I actually doubt you have the button space to bind everything you need. Even on those "4-button" classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post

To me, the problem lies in the inability to flick your angles and aim at your bars in any reasonable amount of time.

Saving a teammate from a dangerous situation can be forgotten about, because you aint pulling that shit off on the controller. Ever.

Sitting still and dpsing as a BM hunter, and never moving or slow-mo camera/keyboard-style turning is soo bad.

The fact that you're missing a 2D plane on which to translate your hand coordination with your eye 1-to-1 is its biggest downfall of all.

Unless I'm missing something. Last I checked, you used those $tupid analog sitcks to basically move your angles. Which means, enjoy your smoothed/accelerated turns alongside it. Essentially something, you can never really become accurate on.

Yes, you can bind the keys. Pressing them in time may even be acceptable. Your ability to adapt to fuck-ups, move, aim, reangle, react, is severely hampered.
    Beside the aiming, I actually doubt you have the button space to bind everything you need. Even on those "4-button" classes.
    Yeah the movement and camera controls to me a the bigger issues - the keybinds 'problem' is not really an issue - 4 face buttons with two bumpers = 12 buttons easily accessible. But spinning the camera around - most raiders will flick there camera back and forth when looking for something spawning, or watching out for various mechanics. Same goes for anything that targets the ground - heroic leap, DND, DH leaps etc etc etc - they would be a pain in the ass to place accurately.

Without a cursor, those things are going to be a pain in the ass. Facing towards the boss, with your camera facing behind to watch out for a particular attack, while trying to place DND under the boss? Yeah, GL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Most classes use like 4 buttons 95% of the time. The arguments about it being too complex are just dumb. People for some reason want it be more complex than it really is.

I know this is also going to go over many of your heads, but having more buttons on your bar doesn't equate to the game being more challenging to play. I guess it makes some people feel cooler for saying "back in my day this game wasn't so dumbed down", but facts will show it's literally always been simple and easy. In fact, if ANYTHING it's FAR more complex now, especially with all the different systems.

I've been hoping it would go on consoles for a while. Hopefully it does.
    Speaking of things going over heads, people are talking about the lack of a cursor for ability placement, as well as the scenario above - something we have all been doing for years without thinking would now require a complete rethink with a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    One question I have always wondered about using a controller.

Target switching.

Melee, its probably not that big of a deal, tanking, maybe a little more, but how in the hell would you play a healer and play with a controller??
    If I were coding it from scratch using an xbox controller... left and right shoulders would be the same as "tab" targeting to cycle through targets. If you were a healer, it would default to friendly targets, probably.

Could make left be friendly and right be enemy or something too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post

Yeah, this is why I'd be willing to do world quests and stuff on console but not serious content.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Are you guys smoking? WoW at consoles absolutely doesn't mean it's going to be just controllers. Afaik new gen consoles supports keyboard/mouse.

Not to mention PC version is going to support gamepads so that arguments about console = gamepad can be insta-dismissed.

There are other problems tho. Sub cost and addons.

FFXIV does just fine and their combat system is a lot more complicated than the one that WoW has. I haven't counted but there are like 20 different abilities within your base rotation.

Unless you had super controllers with extra buttons like a naga, I don’t see how this could work past levelling and LFR. Nothing against it if it’s what players want, I just wouldn’t want Blizzard to start balancing the game around people having 6 or so key bindings.

I’d be interested to see how it would work though, I can’t really wrap my head around it - haven’t played final fantasy so maybe it’s not as awful as it sounds from what others are saying here.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    You can play FFXIV on a console now and the rotations in that game are more bloated then peak bloat wow.
    While I disagree that they're bloated, I will quote this to point out that anyone saying "this is why we had the prune" can shut it. There's a model out there for you to have 8, 16, or even 24 button classes and still work on console.

The prune is still 100% a conscious decision of the devs to be less an MMORPG and more a Looter Shooter.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)