Page 27 of 99 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroPup View Post
    This is a legit question. I played the game for about 2 hours (actually played, not counting char creation and all that) and I was just ... bored. I was really enjoying myself at first, I thought char creation was pretty cool, I liked the little intros, and I actually thought it was super cool how the game displayed all your characters on the char select screen - that was a bit of genius! But when I actually started playing I just kinda loss interest . The bosses didn't seem like anything spectacular, mobs just seemed like they were always groups of 6-10 and died very easily. Is this all it basically is? Should I keep playing and it will get better? I played ... ummm... I can't remember what it was called, I have 2 pistols, a shotgun, and something else. Maybe that class is just dull?
    Seems to be a somewhat hack and slash game with some MMO elements from what I've seen. With a even more dreadful monetization system that rivals the ones in TERA, Blade & Soul and those types of games. And the overly sexualized characters is just.. And people complain about Vulpera? Geez. Facial animations are on the same level as Mass Effect Andromeda.

Seems that a lot of people are finding it to be boring after a while, but are sticking through to see how it is in the endgame. This has been the trend with asian games coming to the west, people are somewhat hyped in the beginning until it dwindles down to 10 000 to 100 000 players, and the game stays afloat because of the whales. Let's see if Lost Ark can break that trend.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Chadow View Post
    What do you mean????? "Like every MMO ever created"

They are literally all different! You arent teaching us anything is there transmog? Any information? Please
    He's just saying the endgame equipment is more elaborate than the early game equipment. Which is par for the course of many MMORPGs. Which Lost Ark, is one of.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Seems to be a somewhat hack and slash game with some MMO elements from what I've seen. With a even more dreadful monetization system that rivals the ones in TERA, Blade & Soul and those types of games. And the overly sexualized characters is just.. And people complain about Vulpera? Geez. Facial animations are on the same level as Mass Effect Andromeda.
    Not even close. There is nothing 'hack-n-slash" or Diablo-ish about the game. It's a run-of-the-mill MMO played from the top-down view. It's just the same as playing Black Desert, ESO, Guild Wars 2, Bless, et cetera.

The perspective of the game throws a lot of folks off, I get that. But when you play it, the play style command, input and logic of the game are totally in line with the aforementioned MMORPGs.

This monetization isn't even CLOSE to that of Tera or Blade & Soul. This is so far from what is currently in the game it's wildly misleading. I played Tera (still do) and B&S and this isn't even in the same league with those games.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-02-09 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not even close. There is nothing 'hack-n-slash" or Diablo-ish about the game. It's a run-of-the-mill MMO played from the top-down view. It's just the same as playing Black Desert, ESO, Guild Wars 2, Bless, et cetera.
    I don't get why people say it's not "hack-n-slash". It's strong hack-n-slash vibes and one of the main pieces of end game content is literally "destroy hundreds of enemies and get a ton of loot"

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I don't get why people say it's not "hack-n-slash". It's strong hack-n-slash vibes and one of the main pieces of end game content is literally "destroy hundreds of enemies and get a ton of loot"
    Hack and Slash as a genre in video games is action-orientated gameplay that is strictly linear. ARPGs (Diablo-like games) as a genre is not limited linear. That's the difference between the two genres and how they became distinct as Hack & Slash (Devil May Cry, God of War, Golden Axe) from ARPGs (Diablo, Path of Exile, Torchlight).

The vibe is irrelevant, I am not even sure where one begins to quantify that as a gameplay element. The operation of Lost Ark is neither Hack & Slash or an ARPG. The top down perspective is just atypical in Western MMORPGs. Lost Ark is an MMORPG in operation and expression; limited linear progressive gameplay.

"Destroys hundreds of enemies and get lots of loot" broadly applies to many genres and games. You do that in Cyberpunk or Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, for example.

Hack and Slash as a genre in video games is action-orientated gameplay that is strictly linear. ARPGs (Diablo-like games) as a genre is not limited linear. That's the difference between the two genres and how they became distinct as Hack & Slash (Devil May Cry, God of War, Golden Axe) from ARPGs (Diablo, Path of Exile, Torchlight).

The vibe is irrelevant, I am not even sure where one begins to quantify that as a gameplay element. The operation of Lost Ark is neither Hack & Slash or an ARPG. The top down perspective is just atypical in Western MMORPGs. Lost Ark is an MMORPG in operation and expression; limited linear progressive gameplay.

"Destroys hundreds of enemies and get lots of loot" broadly applies to many genres and games. You do that in Cyberpunk or Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, for example.
    I mean, it's literally an ARPG.

And Diablo is considered a Hack-n-slash, they don't have to be linear.

How do you like this game so far?

I'm downloading it now, not sure what to expect, but is it like WoW + Diablo had a baby and Lost Ark is it's child?

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    play the game.
    I ammm

For anyone playing soul fist...i discovered a mini hidden mechanic.
    Your "auto-attack" button is a sequence of 6 button presses on the mouse.
    You can press it 5 times...wait...when your character shines blue...click your 6th button press...More damage and awesome NEW animation

I mean, it's literally an ARPG.

And Diablo is considered a Hack-n-slash, they don't have to be linear.
    Both of these notions are incorrect.

Both of these notions are incorrect.
    No, they aren't

Lost Ark is literally listed as an MMOARPG by the creators themselves. It's VERY "world of diablo"

No, they aren't

Lost Ark is literally listed as an MMOARPG by the creators themselves. It's VERY "world of diablo"
    And Destiny 2 "wasn't a MMO" for years...until Bungie decided it finally was. Developers can call their game whatever they want, that doesn't mean they're being accurate/honest with their description.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    How do you like this game so far?

I'm downloading it now, not sure what to expect, but is it like WoW + Diablo had a baby and Lost Ark is it's child?
    It's okay. Gameplay is average overall. Great dungeon design.

It's more like a standard MMO without tab targeting. The only Diablo-like aspect is the the camera view. Nothing else. It follows the playstyle and structure of typical MMORPGs such as Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And Destiny 2 "wasn't a MMO" for years...until Bungie decided it finally was. Developers can call their game whatever they want, that doesn't mean they're being accurate/honest with their description.
    I mean, it literally is an action rpg though.

No, they aren't

Okay, and they still are not calling it an ARPG or Hack & Slash genre game.

You can make an action game, adventure game, action-adventure game, and action-adventure RPG. These would all be distinct designs.

Even Beat-Em-Up MMOs exist. That doesn't make them Beat-Em-Ups.

Okay, and they still are not calling it an ARPG or Hack & Slash genre game.

You can make an action game, adventure game, action-adventure game, and action-adventure RPG. These would all be distinct designs.

If it's a beat em up mmo, then it's a beat em up? MMO just denotes that it's massively multiplayer (generally a persistent world where you can see other players at all times, like how GW1 wasn't ever really referred to as an mmo), it doesn't make them NOT part of the other genre.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I am getting some steam achieve's I def didn't earn. Got 2 100% adventure tomes lol and a 200 treasure map achievement. Not getting the achievement in game though so no acct xp and other awards. I am getting the correct achievements in game, hope I can keep the steam ones though.
    Yea, steam achievements are bugged, I got a bunch of them too.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

If it's a beat em up MMO, it's a beat em up? MMO just denotes that it's massively multiplayer (generally a persistent world where you can see other players at all times, like how GW1 wasn't ever really referred to as an MMO), it doesn't make them NOT part of the other genre.
    No, not a beat 'em up. A beat 'em up MMO.

The purpose of genre labeling is to specify elements that make the genre distinct. This is the purpose in all such cases of media and art where genre categories exist. A broad genre definition becomes increasingly useless.

This is how we end up with compound and subgenres; because the goal is to narrow what we mean when talking about mystery, thriller, mystery-thriller, murder-mystery, true crime, true crime thriller, or a true-crime murder mystery, etc.

Some prefer not to use genre labels because of this Russian Doll-like tendency too. Which is also fine and not incorrect. But if you do use a genre label, then it must be specific to have both accuracy and identifiable expression that is distinctive.

Amnesia isn't a first-person shooter by camera perspective any more than Doom is a horror game for its presentation. Even if you can shoot a gun in Amnesia or there is a scary monster in Doom.

Why not? Just because it takes place in an online environment doesn't make it less of a genre. An ARPGMMO still has ARPG elements. To that point, I don't really care what the devs call their game. If they called Lost Ark a fighting game, I'll happily disagree. From what I've played so far to level 40, it's an ARPG with MMO-style loot. On its own, it's rather unique in my experience.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Why not? Just because it takes place in an online environment doesn't make it less of a genre. An ARPGMMO still has ARPG elements. To that point, I don't really care what the devs call their game. If they called Lost Ark a fighting game, I'll happily disagree. From what I've played so far to level 40, it's an ARPG with MMO-style loot. On its own, it's rather unique in my experience.
    I just talked about this above.

What gameplay expression of Lost Ark is indicative of the ARPG genre?

What defines an ARPG? Atm Lost Ark already plays as the mass mob killing towards loot and progression.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Well, for one thing, it's an action game with rpg elements...