Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2019/2020 new WoW players - how does it feel?

Question to new players who joined this or last year: how does the game feel to you? Do you feel drawn in by the mystery and exploration and story?

Also, please specify if this is your first or 2nd MMO, or if you've played a tons of MMOs before.

I'm wondering what the new experience feels like to virgins.

Is there actually any new players?

I imagine most of them wouldn't be here to be quite honest

A friend of mine decided he wanted to try to get into WoW, and I told him it's best to wait until at least the SL pre-patch to do so, since the leveling experience will be revamped. 2 days later the PTR pre-patch went live, so we jumped on that instead. To be fair, he wasn't a 100% new player, but he hadn't tried playing since like Wrath, and he didn't make it far in the leveling process.

We got to around level 15, did the new starting experience stuff, did some quests in BfA zones, and I asked him at the end what he thought. I mostly tried to let him figure stuff out as he went, only really helping him as he needed it, and I was just along for the ride. He said the game was way better than it used to be about leading him through the playing process, introducing him to his class mechanics, helping him understanding the questing cycle, etc.

Overall, he said his experience with was really positive. He's already pre-ordered SL now, and he's just waiting for the pre-patch to go live to dive into the game full throttle.

Aside from the initial wading into WoW a decade or so ago, this is his first MMO experience. He's played a lot of other games though. He also said his number 1 favorite feature he's seen so far was actually the transmog system, and he's excited to get into mount and transmog collecting.
    Last edited by Gleem; 2020-08-26 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I'm dumb and can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by Gleem View Post
    Overall, he said his experience with was really popular. He's already pre-ordered SL now, and he's just waiting for the pre-patch to go live to dive into the game full throttle.
    ...are you a person or a poorly translated Japanese ad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ...are you a person or a poorly translated Japanese ad?
    Neither. Apparently I'm just drunk... I didn't even drink anything. I can't even blame this on auto-correct. I'm apparently just a moron.

No offence to this website - but it really doesnt have anywhere near the traffic it used to. Seems to me its very much just a small niche community now - its pretty typical for the classic forum to get 1-5 posts per day total, and the main retail threads maybe 2-3 active THREADS per day. Point being, i really doubt many new players would stumble across this site - why / how would they?

Wowhead, youtube, discords, and obviously the official forums - thats where i see most of the traffic.

Im always surprised when I see new people in WoW. In any Blizzard game really. I cant be the only one. Im glad when it happens through, cause as kripp once famously said it...Or well I remember him saying it, and it stuck with me "You need a lot of casuals to make a good MMO". We need numbers, game is not dead, but more is better. Recently been playing some Diablo 3...I know know, but HOLY FUCK its beyond dead, but still I see some all new players asking like a question in chat.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    No offence to this website - but it really doesnt have anywhere near the traffic it used to. Seems to me its very much just a small niche community now - its pretty typical for the classic forum to get 1-5 posts per day total, and the main retail threads maybe 2-3 active THREADS per day. Point being, i really doubt many new players would stumble across this site - why / how would they?

Wowhead, youtube, discords, and obviously the official forums - thats where i see most of the traffic.
    Even then...Say I have a friend starting wow...I want them to keep playing...why on EARTH would I send him/her here?

Would love to see the their ranking as well. But im gonna stick with mmo-c, never used wowhead forums, offical forums always seems awful and shitty for WoW, and I dont use discord besides finding groups now and then...I dont get these people who sit 6 hours a day posting memes on Discord, its fucking weird lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Would love to see the their ranking as well. But im gonna stick with mmo-c, never used wowhead forums, offical forums always seems awful and shitty for WoW, and I dont use discord besides finding groups now and then...I dont get these people who sit 6 hours a day posting memes on Discord, its fucking weird lol.
    Oh god the official forums suck ass now more than ever. The layout and everything about it reeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Im always surprised when I see new people in WoW. In any Blizzard game really. I cant be the only one. Im glad when it happens through, cause as kripp once famously said it...Or well I remember him saying it, and it stuck with me "You need a lot of casuals to make a good MMO". We need numbers, game is not dead, but more is better. Recently been playing some Diablo 3...I know know, but HOLY FUCK its beyond dead, but still I see some all new players asking like a question in chat.
    Part of why I'm thinking about "enrolling" to the newbie guide program in SL is to see if there actually is any new players around :E

I had a friend join a couple months ago but they haven't logged back on since. I think they just found it boring tbh. Interested to see if they'll like the new changes in the pre patch if I can get them to play again ):

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Oh god the official forums suck ass now more than ever. The layout and everything about it reeks.
    The "like dislike" functionality on the officials makes me want to vomit. People just posting shit for likes, threads getting burried with valid opinions, tons of threads getting deleted when blizzard does something controversial. Tbh they've never been great, when armory got introduced it became an elitist clusterfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    The "like dislike" functionality on the officials makes me want to vomit. People just posting shit for likes, threads getting burried with valid opinions, tons of threads getting deleted when blizzard does something controversial. Tbh they've never been great, when armory got introduced it became an elitist clusterfuck.
    Funny for me its opposite - I find the forums to...random, spammy and not concise. Just a lot of casuals who ask things you can google and no real discussion to be had that I care about anyway...mmo-c always has a few interesting threads every week

Discord absolutely murdered forums like this, which really sucks imo as real time chat is nothing like forum posts where you have the time to sit there and consider your answers or read things people posted days ago.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Is there actually any new players?
    No, of course not. Why would anybody ever start playing a video game?

It always makes me smile seeing new players and I love answering them questions.

The OP didn't actually want to ask the new players anything, just stir some shit on his troll second account that thankfully is already banned.

On topic though, the era of non-reddit discussion forums has ended a while ago. The only ones still existing are sites of the old times that had enough popularity in the past to still have some people hanging around. There's plenty of new players in wow, but they aren't here for the most part, as for anything these days you will find them on reddit
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    No, of course not. Why would anybody ever start playing a video game?
    WoW is 20 year old game without Retro acclaim.

Why would one pick it up instead of something newer and flashier?