Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don’t know because if Uther became the beings who designate then going to the maw would be correct but I probably missed something.

And it’s not fair to kill Sylvanas in an Arthas redemption arc since he already killed her and started this whole thing with making her darker than she would have been destined for, much like his own story.

I think they both deserve arcs because both Arthas and Sylvanas, their hated forms, were created.
    Last edited by dunkl; 2020-08-28 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I find it hard to believe Arthas belongs in the maw but not Kael'thas. They're very similar characters, and if Kael'thas is in revendreth, I imagine that's where arthas should be.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what the Uther of the sword would think about joining the other Uther. I mean he seems to have some sort of limited sentience.
    Arthas cast away what was left of humanity inside him when he pulled out and threw away his own heart. He lost any chance of redemption thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    While I agree that it would be incredibly, incredibly unlikely to happen, to suggest that Arthas is too important to join a faction is silly. He's no more important a character than say Jaina or Thrall, and they are both tied to a faction.
    You're right, however they've never left their faction to join a 3rd party either. Illidan never went Alliance as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Technicly he is guilty of accepting the help of the scourge, the same scourge he fighted against. When he did that, he felt into the realm of Ner'Zhull.
    People keep saying "the blade that scars the souls" somehow alleviates Arthas of his responsibility, but it doesn't. Arthas is the only DK created by Frostmorne that *chose* to join the Scourge & his titular novel confirms that. At least Garrosh had good intentions: Arthas just wanted power & recognition.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aarro View Post
    Even if I see Arthas for 5 minutes then I'm happy.
    I hate arthas so much he killed my sylvanas and all the high elfs.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

hopefully /ourboy/ will kill sylvannas again just for the lulz, and then go back to his cell in the maw or wherever it was that he was supposed to be. I don't think it's established that he wouldn't go to the maw yet since they grabbed him the moment he fell.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

my theory is that we have been seeing Arthas this whole time, remember Sylvanas was already in the maw, and she encountered Arthas...kinda weird Arthas is nowhere to seen now... I say their souls got fused together the time Sylvanas was brought back to life by the Arthas' Valkir...

In the trailer for the shadowlands, Sylvanas says "Icecrowm citadel the veil between death and life where a usurper sits on a frozen throne...this almost sounds like bolvar took the throne from her...like it belongs to her? this makes sense only if she had taken the throne for herself....but she didn't...and let's be clear I don't think Sylvanas would have the respect for Arthas to treat him as the rightful king...

she also makes a direct reference to Arthas "no king rules forever"... how did she know this quote?...was a reference for us the players?.
    or they hinting at something else.

He doesn’t need, nor deserve, a redemption arc. His story is done and Blizzard should let it be done. He belongs in the Maw.
    It’s Blizzard’s story and they can do what they want with it, but there have been many stories that have been ruined just because the writers bank on nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    You're right, however they've never left their faction to join a 3rd party either. Illidan never went Alliance as an example.
    Sure, but they are characters heavily tied to their faction. Arthas, in game, was an Alliance member for like 7 minutes. It's not terribly out of the realm of possibility to think that he would feel a ton of remorse for what he did to Lordaeron and want to join up with the Forsaken to make amends.

(Again, I don't actually believe this will happen as the first post was made entirely in jest)

Quote Originally Posted by aarro View Post
    Even if I see Arthas for 5 minutes then I'm happy.
    be careful what you wish for.

unfortunately, since they are already bringing him up in the very first hypetrain announcement, i'm afraid we'll end up seeing a lot more than 5 minutes of him.

I think he'll help us defeat jailer in some way.

We'll find out he was being influenced the whole time or something and didn't have free will.

Because he helped us, he'll get redeem in the eyes of the kyrian.

He'll join them and him and Uther will be Kyrians happily ever after.

End of expansion.

I always thought Arthas made more sense in Revendreth than in The Maw.

Arthas' story was always "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". Everything he did before picking up frostmourne was done "for the greater good" because he believed that he had to do whatever he could to to save his kingdom. He was blinded by pride and ambition to the point that it blocked out all the things he had been taught.

Arthas after he picks up frostmourne is an entirely different character especially with the new lore that Frostmourne is a Maw artifact. I think in judging Arthas for the after life you have to stop your judgment at the point he takes up Frostmourne and falls under the Jailers control. We also know that the story that Arthas eliminated his humanity and ner'zhul's spirit isn't right because we meet Arthas' humanity in Icecrown. We know that he had some amount of humanity left because he held the scourge back from eradicating all life.

Just look at how he changes as soon as frostmourne is shattered. He's clearly lost and remorseful he knows what he did was horrible. He's not a character without morals or without regret. He belongs in Revendreth not The Maw and I'll wager that by the end of the expansion he will end up where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by gleepot View Post
    not sure how you derived that arthas is back from the animation, but hes not
    presumably he has to at least be mentioned to resolve the uther story the animation sets up. but just mentioning him would be quite the dissapointment for a character of his magnitude.

and if he is going to show up again, even just in some cinematic where his soul flies off into the sky or w/e, it's all to easy to have him say something really really stupid.

I actually think it'd be a reasonable ending for him for us to just take his soul out of the maw and put him in revendreth or something. I dont think the stuff he did before frostmourne was really THAT bad and the things after aren't entirely his fault. He's certainly no worse than kaelthas who tried to summon fucking Kiljaeden into the sunwell and he only got thrown into revendreth.

It's so clear through marketing that Arthas is going to have a redemption arc. Did you see how pretty they made him? He pretty much looks like Rhaegar Targaryen now. If they wanted him to be a bad guy they would have kept his old appearance.
    Last edited by Godric; 2020-08-28 at 05:08 AM.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Why can't people just let good character stories be finished?

Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    Why can't people just let good character stories be finished?
    Because they need to sell more expansions and can't come up with new characters anyone cares about apparently.

Arthas' final lines before his death used to stir so much emotion in me, now it's going to be hard without thinking about the two blue goons coming to yeet him.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Baroclinic View Post
    Seems to me Blizzard has no problems making new characters. Problem is that they turn around and kill them. Usually off scene...
    They have no ability to write new characters well, that's what I said. Every new character they've created over the last few years are boring and one-dimensional with more mood swings than Garrosh on a good day. Last good 'new' character they created was Yrel, then they destroyed her story by making her a zealot.
    Last edited by Zyky; 2020-08-28 at 05:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

3+ Year Old Account
    I think this is more of a red herring, that Arthas was going to go to The Maw anyway. I think what this is really trying to show is that Sylvanas (at least when she first died sometime after Artha's death) was never meant for The Maw and some outside force interfered, and after that she was bound to the The Maw which is why she returned there when she was briefly killed again at the end of the Cataclysm Silverpine Forest questline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    I hate arthas so much he killed my sylvanas and all the high elfs.
    High elves still exist.

Just that 90% of the survivors calls themselves blood elves.