Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And a few "historical adjustments" later:
    Fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    ...and people want a redemption story? Even as a paladin he was portrayed as an arrogant spoiled prince, who treated his subordinates like shit. The Culling of Stratholme was basically im using whatever ends to justify means that would sate his maliciousness.
    You realize Nerzul had been manipulating him long before he got the sword lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Seems to me the Culling was only "the right thing to do" when you have the luxury of knowing what was really happening after the fact. But it did show what kind of person Arthas really was.
    After the fact? He literally saw it just happen before strat happened.

He was not bad. Proud yes, but bad not. Also, I don't think a redemption story would be good for him. Perhaps a closure so his spirit might find rest finally yes, but other than that or ruining him like they did with Illidan, definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    but they did not give him alternative, they just told him not to do that...
    Of course, because Arthas didn't give them a chance to. They were like:
    "Stop! Let's think of another way"
    And Arthas was like:
    "No way nerds"

Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    Of course, because Arthas didn't give them a chance to. They were like:
    "Stop! Let's think of another way"
    And Arthas was like:
    "No way nerds"
    well THAT was their chance, instead of "dont do this" to say "lets do THIS" (quarantine is first thing that comes to mind after two seconds), they didnt need to have detailed plan already just workable idea...
    he saw no other option but to act quick and they give him no alternative just told him to wait, which itself would make things worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    well THAT was their chance, instead of "dont do this" to say "lets do THIS" (quarantine is first thing that comes to mind after two seconds), they didnt need to have detailed plan already just workable idea...
    he saw no other option but to act quick and they give him no alternative just told him to wait, which itself would make things worse...
    I mean, it is a situation that they have never faced before. I don't think going "Think on your feet or get out of my face" makes Arthas looks reasonable himself.

And a few expansions later:

Uther: I need to have my revenge justice! Let us send Arthas' soul to the Maw as an act of vengeance justice!
    Might have something to do with part of his soul still being on Azeroth...
    the good/reasonable part that guided us on multiple occasions. (early WPL quest, Quel'Delar, Halls of Reflection, Ashbringer questline)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Still, none of that gives him the right to disband the Order of the Silver Hand.

There was himself and Uther. 2 Paladins that could have helped heal/cure some. Instead, he told Uther to bugger off, then slaughtered the city.

He was ordered to leave. He had to.

He made it clear he was going to do it regardless, and neither wanted to taint themselves by slaughtering civilians, regardless of their infection. Hell, Uther even pushed for there being another way.

They were barely there before Arthas was sending them away, not even bothering to explain anything about what was going on.

And yes Uther was a Vetran, and Jaina is not just intelligent, but a mage of Dalaran. Perhaps he should have listened to them instead of telling them to 'get out of his sight' when they didn't immediately agree to kill everything.
    So basically you are completely ignore the fact that Arthas was mentally distraught after seeing what happened in Androhal and Hearthglen and reacted in a way an inexperienced and privileged prince would act during dire circumstances?

Uther should have acted more mature and understanding. He should not have sent Arthas to deal with the plague to begin with, Arthas was not ready for such thing. But when shit hit the fan, Uther acted with too much pride, he should have acted with tact not with pride : "You are not my king yet boy! Nor would I obey if you were!". He literally pushed Arthas over the edge.

And you are all forgetting, Arthas was targeted, he was specifically chosen, all the situations were specifically designed to make him hateful, doubtful and finally break him apart. If Uther acted more tactfully, for example, agreed to join forces with Arthas but instead of purging the city, he would propose that Arthas go after the undead base and he goes deal with civilians, Arthas would not have been so distraught and he would have caved. A little emotional manipulation goes a long way with young men and Uther knew him since childhood and trained him too.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Not really, Arthas was dealing with a zombie outbreak. COVID-19 doesn't turn people into zombies.
    Not really what? What sense does that make lol, I said I find it funny, if you don't that's your business no need to quote a blatant statement??

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    The culling of Stratholme was the right thing to do. It was ether kill them or have them die anyways and become undead slaves.
    Not everyone was infected and there's this thing called quarantine. Maybe you heard about it as sensible countries went down hard on that idea recently. All Arthas had to do was lick everyone in their homes, to be extra safe one room per person and wait it out.

You o die and turn your head becomes a melon to the hammer. You don't turn? Well not infected, rescued out. And yes the army he had before he made such drastic decision was enough to enforce it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before the whole mercenary thing, Arthas was not a bad guy, at least in the book he was never portrayed that way, though he was indeed spoiled, but not to the extreme, regardless... those he deserve redemption? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    Watch from about 7:00. Kel'thuzad told Arthas about Mal'ganis being responsible for the plague and operating in Stratholme. The fact that Arthas hasn't encountered Mal'ganis until he started to purge the city is irrelevant.
    Oh right, I forgot he was mentioned back then. Good catch.

Still, it doesn't excuse him not sparing the few seconds to explain what's going on, or even attempting to work with uther to cure some of those who had eaten he grain.

He wasn't "bad" no. He allowed himself to be ruled by emotion after Stratholme, chasing after Mal'ganis, doing whatever it took to destroy him, no matter the cost. Unwise, emotional, angry. No different than most young male leaders in fiction. He didn't become "evil" until he decided to stab his father and embrace the scourge.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    So basically you are completely ignore the fact that Arthas was mentally distraught after seeing what happened in Androhal and Hearthglen and reacted in a way an inexperienced and privileged prince would act during dire circumstances?
    Yes, because Jaina was just as inexperienced with the crazy stuff that was going on, and her first thought wasn't 'lets kill them all', but 'let's find another way.'

Uther should have acted more mature and understanding. He should not have sent Arthas to deal with the plague to begin with, Arthas was not ready for such thing.
    1. No one knew it was a zombie plague, just a regular sickness. And honestly, after all his Paladin training, you're seriously suggesting he wasn't ready to go and see if people were sick? And if you meant he wasn't ready to go into a zombie apocalypse...who ever is?

But when shit hit the fan, Uther acted with too much pride, he should have acted with tact not with pride : "You are not my king yet boy! Nor would I obey if you were!". He literally pushed Arthas over the edge.
    Arthas arrogantly waved his "I'm the Prince" stick around. Perhaps he should have explained what was going on instead of chucking a tantrum. Beforehand, Arthas was fairly calm, so you can't say he was distraught at the time.

And you are all forgetting, Arthas was targeted, he was specifically chosen, all the situations were specifically designed to make him hateful, doubtful and finally break him apart.
    Perhaps, but that was only because he was arrogant and emotional enough that simple goading would be enough to have him kill his people and race halfway around the world for revenge.Was he entirely at fault? No. Was he entirely innocent? Ahahahahaha hell no!

If Uther acted more tactfully, for example
    Yes. How dare he not be calm and accepting about his Price's sudden desire to kill an entire city with no explanation, or be upset that his order was disbanded. Damn that Uther, what a dick.

The more I read, the more I realize that the shit people manage to justify in Arthas, is seen as "bad writing" in Sylvanas...

They have so many similarities it aint even funny.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    He doesnt deserve a redemption story..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Might have something to do with part of his soul still being on Azeroth...
    the good/reasonable part that guided us on multiple occasions. (early WPL quest, Quel'Delar, Halls of Reflection, Ashbringer questline)
    The moment we saw is basically a flashback from when we killed arthas in wrath. Its not like he waited all these years up until 2020.

Edit: think I quoted the wrong thing.

- - - Updated - - -

And a few expansions later:

Uther: I need to have my revenge justice! Let us send Arthas' soul to the Maw as an act of vengeance justice!
    Meant this one. Its only created as of late.. but is meant as if it happenr then.

I didn't read every page but did/is anyone going to mention the fact that Arthas going to the Maw doesn't mean he was supposed to go there. He was probably supposed to go to Revendreth but Uther chose to throw him into the Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Not everyone was infected and there's this thing called quarantine. Maybe you heard about it as sensible countries went down hard on that idea recently. All Arthas had to do was lick everyone in their homes, to be extra safe one room per person and wait it out.

You o die and turn your head becomes a melon to the hammer. You don't turn? Well not infected, rescued out. And yes the army he had before he made such drastic decision was enough to enforce it.
    Quarantine works when you can realistically enforce it. The current pandemic could have effective quarantine measures because it was possible to ask people ot self-quarantine and society in general is built in such a way to allow such a quarantine to take place.

In Stratholme the only way to effectively quarantine is to assign soldiers you know to not be infected to stand guard over 2-3 citizens at most. Ready at any moment ot cut down those who are turning. Which isn't really a feasible option. Otherwise you would have to keep houses locked and just accept that a large percentage of the population will die a horrible death.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    I didn't read every page but did/is anyone going to mention the fact that Arthas going to the Maw doesn't mean he was supposed to go there. He was probably supposed to go to Revendreth but Uther chose to throw him into the Maw.
    it has already been mentioned. The fact that he was unjustly thrown in the maw means a redemption arc is all but guaranteed. The only realistic ways for it not to be is if Arthas is brainwashed and never speaks or is spoken of after we kill him and remove his essence forever.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    Its kinda funny seeing people justify what Arthas did as we are going through a real life pandemic lol
    If only we purged Wuhan..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    That is what it precisely is.