Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

What small features should WoW copy from other MMOs?

Been playing a lot of Swtor recently and it has got me thinking on some of the small QOL changes that game has that I think would make great improvements to World of Warcraft such as a account wide bank where you can store credits (gold)and a profession material unlimited bagslot on your character for holding all your materials.

What small QOL changes or features do you think other MMOs do that WoW should possibly include?

dye system from guildwars2

Sometimes i just want to flag up and kill someone who is griefing.

Allowing cross faction groups, WoW is one of the few mmo's that have faction barriers and it is simply an outdated design as most people do not give a shit about faction wars. To top it all off the tech to do it is already implemented within the game and has been for many expansions now when they allowed representing the opposite faction when PvP was imbalanced, it literally just slapped a Halloween mask from the other faction on you and then you could PvP with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    None. The most successful MMO doesn't need to copy anything from less successful MMOs
    Ironically, many features that players lament and chastise WoW for having exist because WoW implemented them first. Things like the LFR and the LFG which players love to pretend "ruined the game" are features which, had WoW not implemented them first, would have likely been something its early competition would have used to its advantage. It's this lack of foresight that often comes with critical takes of these features which is particularly frustrating when discussing WoW. Everybody loves to pretend the game, had it never changed, would have kept growing in popularity to the point where we'd all be depositing our paychecks in the Global Blizzard World Bank today.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2020-08-13 at 05:53 PM.

None. The most successful MMO doesn't need to copy anything from less successful MMOs
    Oh look another trolling by pretending to be an idiot post.

3+ Year Old Account
    Racial/class storylines, player housing, Tmogs ingame that actually resemble what npcs wear (SWTOR,FF14,GW2 and even ESO do this), a dye system

(Editing out 'Tmogs from the store' so people stop getting mad at me )
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-08-14 at 12:40 PM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Dying gear would be a big bonus, and Class stories again

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Racial/class storylines, player housing, Tmogs in the Store that actually resemble what npcs wear (SWTOR,FF14 and even ESO do this), a dye system
    I would love for more transmogs to exist but for the love of god don't put them in the store. I've played SWtOR, every nice piece is on the cartel market and all the stuff you can get from actually playing is hideous.

Oh man, so many I've played through that I've forgotten. Every game has had some unique thing that they've handled well.

First thing that pops to mind is a bunch of little systems surrounding how new players are handled in FF14, as I think it makes for a much better social experience for a new player vs the often toxic new player experience in WoW.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    That's funny because Blizz's MO is to copy from others who already did it first and clean it up a bit. You might want to take some time learning about gaming history before making such statements...unless you were intentionally trying to be funny...

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Oh man, so many I've played through that I've forgotten. Every game has had some unique thing that they've handled well.

First thing that pops to mind is a bunch of little systems surrounding how new players are handled in FF14, as I think it makes for a much better social experience for a new player vs the often toxic new player experience in WoW.
    Oh? I don't know much about FFXIV... Could you elaborate? Anything that makes WoW more inviting to new players is welcome in my book.

Player made dungeons, like the Neverwinter and STO Foundry system. It allows for unlimited new/unique experiences. When people get tired/bored of the official content they could try out something different. It also allows a means for a whole new level of immersion for fan fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    Oh? I don't know much about FFXIV... Could you elaborate? Anything that makes WoW more inviting to new players is welcome in my book.
    There's a bunch of things, but one example would be when you join a dungeon for your very first time it actually announces to the group that its someone in the groups first time in the dungeon without calling them out specifically and everyone will receive increased rewards.

This right off the bat sets expectations that they know someone in there doesn't know what they're doing so that people don't freak out at them thinking they do. It also respects those experienced players time by giving them extra rewards to compensate slowing down for that new player. This makes having a new player in there a positive thing instead of a negative thing slowing you down. There's also a kudos system at the end that is mostly ignored but does exist where you can give someone an upvote.

There's also the "novice network" which is a chat channel you're automatically in while you're still new to the game and certain veteran players are allowed to be in where new players can ask questions and for help.

There's lots of little things like these sprinkled throughout the game which I think contribute to why the community is so much less toxic or elitist in that game vs WoW. Not that those attitudes don't still exist, but its a lot less prevalent especially around newer players.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I don't think some people in here understand what "small features" mean.

Anyway, surnames should be a thing.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Accountwide bank sounds good at first - but suddenly you can abuse that to get stuff to your toons of the other faction that you couldn't send by mail. So.....accountwide but limited to faction I guess would still be neat
    Serious question: why would that be an issue? almost everything in the game that is able to be placed in the mail is already available to both factions. Got any examples?

15+ Year Old Account
    Castle Seiges and Olympiads from Lineage2
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

3+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking of a class/job tree but I guess the classes here are so ingrained and hardcoded to each character lorewise
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Calling me an idiot doesn't make me one.

Please, tell me why I'm wrong
    Are you new here? Any opinion that isn't "WoW sucks, always has and anybody who defends this shitty game is a paid shill" is frowned upon.

Player housing is probably a big missing feature of WoW. If implemented correctly it could be a great addition, especially for collectors of various things.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.