any idea why they ruined the cheapshot sound effect?

What am I missing?

I didn't play my rogue much since Cata, mainly just leveled him to max in MoP and WoD. Now that I'm playing him in Legion, a lot of the combat sounds feel way off. Most of my attacks sounds like "whiffs" like I'm missing the target or something. Like the sounds of weapons landing hits sounds so unsatisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I didn't play my rogue much since Cata, mainly just leveled him to max in MoP and WoD. Now that I'm playing him in Legion, a lot of the combat sounds feel way off. Most of my attacks sounds like "whiffs" like I'm missing the target or something. Like the sounds of weapons landing hits sounds so unsatisfying.
    wow anyone know this ? i posted this long before the classic came out but man does it ever sound scary and great in classic, yet it sounds like so boring now in retail. did anyone ever hear why?

is there a way to make it sound the old way on your local machine?

Weapon sounds and melee attack sounds in general are crap now too.

They like to remove something good and replace it with something bad...

Like Deepwindgulch that is now a boring and lame version of arathi basin, the Tauren 2handed weapon swing animation, that's just gone for boring/bad swing animation, or the option that my chain heal is a green beam that I love since ever and now it's a beam of water.

I don't know if there is an englisch word for that, in Germany we say "verschlimmbessern" what is a mix out of "verschlimmern" (make something worse) and verbessern (improve something)
    Last edited by saixilein; 2020-11-07 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    They like to remove something good and replace it with something bad...

Like Deepwindgulch that is now a boring and lame version of arathi basin, the Tauren 2handed weapon swing animation, that's just gone for boring/bad swing animation, or the option that my chain heal is a green beam that I love since ever and now it's a beam of water.

I don't know if there is an englisch word for that, in Germany we say "verschlimmbessern" what is a mix out of "verschlimmern" (make something worse) and verbessern (improve something)
    Have to disagree with the chain heal thing,i think it looks way better as water,but it should be a glyph for people who prefer old one

Alot of the new SFX just sound unimpactful or worse than before. IMO Death and Decay is the worst offender the old wooshing sound of energy as it gathered before slamming down a rune and the lingering hiss as it decayed things to current dull splat then silence.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They have been doing this over and over and over since around Legion mostly. Change for the sake of change and nothing else. Cheap Shot, MORTAL STRIKE, warrior critical hits, Death Knight sound effects are so dull and lame. I could name more. No ability has an impact anymore: they all go 'woosh' in very low decibels. They all feel like wet noodle strikes.

I will never understand why they do this....
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Have to disagree with the chain heal thing,i think it looks way better as water,but it should be a glyph for people who prefer old one
    It used to be a glyph that chain heal would take on its current watery appearance. Silly they didn't reverse the glyph to give it its old animation back. The glyph cosmetics system seems to be all but ignored these days unfortunately unless you're a druid.

Its same with the combat stances for casters would be nice if they were changeable for those who don't like them I would rather have shaman or druid one on my shadow priest rather than the awful priest one with that stupid smile.
    Same with firing off the spell animation for Healing Rain, Druid Rez, Blizzard etc where thy fling their arms up that has to be the worst animation this games had but we're stuck with it.
    I for one chose my characters based off animations and its a bit annoying to me that every class now has the exact same animations for almost everything.

There must be a way to like get the classic "cheapshot" and put it into a file somewhere to replace the "new cheapshot" but i am not finding sound files in my classic folder right now other then stuff in like mods and such

Will investigate

Holy Nova and Arcane Nova make me sad now

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Star View Post
    It used to be a glyph that chain heal would take on its current watery appearance. Silly they didn't reverse the glyph to give it its old animation back. The glyph cosmetics system seems to be all but ignored these days unfortunately unless you're a druid.

Its same with the combat stances for casters would be nice if they were changeable for those who don't like them I would rather have shaman or druid one on my shadow priest rather than the awful priest one with that stupid smile.
    Same with firing off the spell animation for Healing Rain, Druid Rez, Blizzard etc where thy fling their arms up that has to be the worst animation this games had but we're stuck with it.
    I for one chose my characters based off animations and its a bit annoying to me that every class now has the exact same animations for almost everything.
    Oh yeah,completly agree,they are missing so much oportunities to make cool visual glyphs...i REALLY want my holy priest cataclysm chakrams back

I miss the Ambush sound while playing Subtlety Shadowstrike sounds weak compared

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    There must be a way to like get the classic "cheapshot" and put it into a file somewhere to replace the "new cheapshot" but i am not finding sound files in my classic folder right now other then stuff in like mods and such

Will investigate
    I don't know the technicalities but there is definitely a way to replace the new sounds with old. There's an addon out there replaces modern gun autoshot with the classic loud one that I use.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still miss the old Hammer of the Righteous sound

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I don't know the technicalities but there is definitely a way to replace the new sounds with old. There's an addon out there replaces modern gun autoshot with the classic loud one that I use.

whats it called we have to be careful as we arent looking to break any terms of service but having logged into blizzards own classic wow, and then going over to retail, hearing a "wet noodle" version of cheap shot is annoying and i wish to recreate the glory on retail!

- - - Updated - - -

Good thread on it here though i can't seem to find sounds in the classic folders right now.

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...sounds/51100/2

What made you decide to come back to this thread after 4 years, OP?

Anyway, yea, it's true -- the new sounds are utterly terrible and so are the new animations and spell FX as well.

It's truly amazing to think that they actually spent time and money on this.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams