Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I'm fully aware I will get flamed for a lot or all fo these, but its how I feel:

- The Lord of the Rings movies are overwrought, boring and over long.
    - Anime is terrible. The art is amazing but the stories and writing are pure garbage. It is all about punching each other while having a faux intellectual conversation about memories, feelings or etc.
    - Altered Carbon was live action anime. Which means it is awful.
    - The new Dune looks like a live action anime that is +103 in the emo stat and funded entirely by Hot Topic.
    - Justice League was terrible, but I doubt Snyder's will be any better...just longer. The only good movie he's ever made was 300 (good as in entertaining and original, not Oscar worthy or anything).
    - Margot Robbie was absolute shit as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, (have not seen her in the other movie.)
    - Big Bang Theory was not funny.
    - Solo was better than people act like it was.
    - Warcraft movie should have been a series. Too much story to tell which was the movie's downfall. Also the Orcs were too fucking big. Imagine if they ever got to Tauren.....
    - Pixar's story telling is on the decline.
    - The music in Hamilton is terrible. It is some of the most trite and shitty rap I've heard since the 80's when every white guy in a family sitcom or employee training video tried "rapping". I'd like to see some talented rappers take a crack at musicals, like Andre 3000, for example.
    - The Witcher show is so, so, so, soooooooooooooooooooo awful. You know how if an alien disguised themselves as a human it would be off. Like, they look and sound like a human but there's some uncanny valley aspect you can't put your finger on......well Witcher is the alien and a Game of Thrones is the human. Henry Cavill has the charisma of a bar stool.
    - I respect it, I can see where you're coming from despite being a big Lord of the Rings fan. I heard the books are even worse as far as dragging on.
    - Anime is so polarizing, your critique can and does apply to many anime people celebrate as great, but it also doesn't apply to many.
    - For sure on Justice League. They were just crucifying him for Batman vs. Superman, and suddenly his vision is great because Whedon's version sucked?
    - I agree, I mean, I wouldn't say she's terrible, but Margot Robbie is definitely not as great a Harley Quinn as everyone says.
    - I disagree, I used to also think the IDEA of Big Bang Theory was unfunny, but once I actually watched it, Sheldon and Howard's characters especially make me laugh. The rest, not so much, when it became all about couples it definitely did lose most of its appeal.
    - Agreed, Tauren would have likely been only slightly bigger than Orcs though.
    - I'm indifferent, Pixar was never my favorite to begin with, I've only really followed Toy Story and Incredibles and both sequels we got recently were good, not great, but not bad either, they were decent follow-ups, Incredibles 2 maybe slightly less, but I enjoyed Toy Story 4.

Batman The Brave and the Bold is better than Batman TAS

The Bale Batman movies are okay at best, and not as good as the ones featuring Keaton

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish Frodo had been thrown into the lava along with Golem.

Wow the movie was good.

Lutefisk is best with butter and a little salt.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    Avenger's end-game is on the same level as the Transformers movies. Visually great, lazy writing. "FRIDAY DO SOME SCIENCE BULLSHIT ON THE COMPUTER"... "MR STARK YOU HAVE INVENTED TIMETRAVEL CONGRATZ"
    Yeah, I agree, but the fun of Marvel movies has never been the actual narrative arc of the plot. The plots are entirely stupid, the movies are fun because the characters are actually likeable and fun. End-Game had some good parts, but they were all character parts, the plot parts are always dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    - The Lord of the Rings movies are overwrought, boring and over long.
    Agreed with all these points, including this one, and I am not really sure why. Lord of the Rings seems like something I should like, I just... don't. It never captures my interest, it just drags on and never clicks with me. Considering I enjoy a ton of things that knocked off Tolkien, I find it strange I don't care for actual Tolkien. This applies to both the books and the movies, I have given both a fair shot.

As for mine, I am not sure this is unpopular as much as it obscure, but I hold that Legend of Tarzan (2016) is quite possibly the worst movie ever made, certainly in the modern era. It has a really special ability to aggressively suck like they were working at it. It had excellent casting, some decent acting, and the worst plot pitch in history, because some idiot decided to take Heart of Darkness, starring Sam Jackson and Christoph Waltz and combine it with a decentish Tarzan movie starring Skargard and Margot Robbie.

The Heart of Darkness movie would have been amazing, since it has never been done in the original setting (Apocalypse Now and the new Ad Astra are both that story with a settings change) and the casting was brilliant for those roles. The Tarzan movie could have been fine, actually hitting both sides of the character for the first time. Instead, they glued them together for a movie that is inspired in how bad it was. It felt a bit like the Producers, where they were trying to make a flop. Why would you stick a lighthearted adolescent power fantasy in a real world atrocity? It would be like making "The Power Rangers and the Rwandan Genocide" or "The Teletubbies solve Apartheid".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The Heart of Darkness movie would have been amazing, since it has never been done in the original setting (Apocalypse Now and the new Ad Astra are both that story with a settings change) and the casting was brilliant for those roles.
    I saw a tv movie years ago, Malkovich was Kurtz, don't remember much about it though.
    /s

Waterworld was actually a fun movie.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back is to blame for the formulaic storytelling plaguing the franchise.

The Witcher TV series isn't really all that great and has a lot of issues with plot, pacing, and special effect quality.

Breaking Bad is a boring slog overhyped and blown out of proportion in its importance or supposed artistic brilliance.

Batman and Superman are the two worst superheroes in movies.

Good special effects are not a substitute for good writing.

Representational casting is not a substitute for good writing.

I forgot one and this one will likely enrage some people, but I do not get the hate for the How I Met Your Mother finale. i thought it was excellent. It perfectly explained why he was telling his kids that long story.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Anchor Man wasn't funny. (even though i LOVE all those actors)
    Breaking Bad wasn't great after the first season; it was repetitive and most episodes were boring
    The Wire isn't good.

I'm gonna add a video game one because it's the one opinion i truly hold that I've been told I must be trolling; but ya it's just how i feel:
    Red Dead Redemption sucked (Which surprised me, cause I love their games)

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    The Wire isn't good.
    I came to post that nothing has come close to The Wire in the last 20 years, so hey, one of us is being unpopular at least

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilo View Post
    TV:
    - Any Arrowverse series is pandering garbage, its glorified soap operas for a new generation.
    they are all fucking awful. Supergirl is just feminist liberal trash. Arrow was fine the first 2 seasons but devolved into the same soap opera bullshit in every episode "I CAN'T TRUST YOU"... "okay.. I promise to trust you".. next episode "REEEEEE I HAVE TO DO THIS ALONE THIS IS MY CRUSADE I CAN'T TRUST YOU"... "okay I trust now".... Every fucking episode.
    It is almost the same garbage with the flash except it is so much worse. After s1 the series have 0 substance. It is just 80-90% filler that doesn't go anywhere. Just, as you say, soap opera trash. "I don't believe in myself" "believe in yourself barry" okay am believe now".. Every episode. At least in Arrow Oliver's abilities are consistent, but The Flash's speed isn't even a character trait, it is just a plot device. It is so unbelievably inconsistent all the time just to suit the plot of the episode.
    All of the filler is extremely contrived as well, with Barry having the same personal problems he has in every episode and then by the power of lazy writing the villain or "crisis" of the episode is somehow EXACTLY relatable to whatever problems Barry has in the episode, which gives him a "realization" of how to solve his own problems. The show is ridiculously formulaic, and I am sure they just have a template with blank spaces they randomly fill in for every episode they write.
    For a show which "morals" are a lot about giving second chances to people, they still fired the Ralph actor for shit he said 8 years ago on twitter. Unbelievable.
    Goddamn just writing about this is making me unreasonably angry about how terrible the "arrowverse" shows are.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I came to post that nothing has come close to The Wire in the last 20 years, so hey, one of us is being unpopular at least
    Oh wow, hahah. Yeah I don't know anyone who didn't LOVE it. Maybe that's just the circle I run in though that they all think it's the best show ever made. I will say though, that while I didn't like it, I loved the general ideas/stories/themes. It SOUNDS like my kinda thing. It just moved at far too slow of a rate for me. So I can totally see why people like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    Oh wow, hahah. Yeah I don't know anyone who didn't LOVE it. Maybe that's just the circle I run in though that they all think it's the best show ever made. I will say though, that while I didn't like it, I loved the general ideas/stories/themes. It SOUNDS like my kinda thing. It just moved at far too slow of a rate for me. So I can totally see why people like it.
    & I can totally see why others wouldn't It is slow, but that's because the level of focus & attention to detail is incredible. To each their own!

I prefer the 80s episodic model for TV shows
    I wish there was less violence, blood, guts, and gore in modern shows
    South Park was garbage

There are way, WAY, WAAAY too many superhero movies / TV series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    There are way, WAY, WAAAY too many superhero movies / TV series.
    This Soooo Sooo much this! Could have stopped 10 years ago and there was already too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post
    I prefer the 80s episodic model for TV shows
    I wish there was less violence, blood, guts, and gore in modern shows
    South Park was garbage
    I agree with all of this except South Park, it hasn't always been garbage, but it's old, and like most anime you can tell the creators kind of don't give a shit anymore.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

90% of modern movies are mass crap or try hard intellectual pretentious bullshit and I don't watch nearly any movies at all.
    S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    Supergirl is just feminist liberal trash..
    I wanted to like Supergirl; but the amount of that stuff being shoved down my throat at every turn just ruined any chance it had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of these are so funny. Anyway:

- Rogue One is the best new Star Wars movie
    - GoT season 8 was amazing, third episode (The Long Night) was one of the best TV episodes ever
    - The Simpsons are boring
    - The Big Bang Theory isn't funny
    - How I Met Your Mother started great, hit lowpoint during season 5-6, and then got great again (with the exception of the finale, that was shit)
    - The Red Dwarf is boring / isn't funny & people who repeat jokes from that show in real life are one of the most annoying beings in the universe
    - David Lynch is overrated. Extremely overrated.
    - Anything Damon Lindelof touches turns to gold
    - Robert Pattinson was always a good actor
    - Keanu Reeves is wonderful human being but not very good actor. Luckily he picks projects that don't require much acting

One loses very little by ignoring TV shows and movies.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Game of Thrones was a terrible adaptation after Season 1 and a mediocre show with it's only saving grace being the phenomenal cast that gave us great performances: Tywin, Baelish, Varys, Tyrion and others are what kept the show going despite the nonsense writing. The only exception was the Battle of Blackwater, and George wrote that entire episode.

The worst part for me was with Season 3 since one of the main motivating factors for the show creators was to make the Red Wedding, the single greatest piece of writing from Martin...and it was an underwhelmingly pathetic mess.

Star Wars wise I feel the new saga movies are shit, all of them without exception from Force Awakens. Rogue One is better then all of them combined.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."